Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone.

So I'm no powertrain expert, but I know many of you folks are. So maybe someone can set me straight. I appreciate it.

I really like to row through my gears. Most of the time, it feels like the power is delivered fairly quickly as I pass through the early gears. Sure, there's a slight lag, but once it kicks in, there's a acceleration curve that sets me back a bit in my seat.

But every once in a while, there's a lapse in 'pull'. Its like a dead spot in the acceleration curve, like the car forgets what its doing. It doesn't completely konk out. It just slips a little, then catches back onto the curve and continues.

I have no PT mods and religiously feed it Mobil 93 octane. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I'd say more sporadic than constant. I've noticed it mostly from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

Temps this summer (Michigan) haven't been unreasonable. High 70s to high 80s mostly. Some 90s, but not often.

Matt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Stock, your car makes the lion's share of it's power between 3k-5k RPM. It's almost like a two stroke engine on a dirt bike but at the high end of your power band, the car will fall on its face with torque dropping off. When you say "sporadic" do you mean it randomly does this throughout the RPM range?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. Thanks for the reply. By sporadic, I mean it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes I get a very clean pull through the gears.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mine use to have an occasional gasp for air but since putting on the FPP tune I haven't had it. It was more of a throttle response or lack of at least that's how mine felt. But with the tune everything is more responsive. The only time it would do it was when I was running through the gears.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It has to be trying to correct for something. Check the gap in the plugs. Could be bad fuel too. Ive had that happen with previous cars. As far as engines go you really only have 4 variables
-air
-fuel
-spark
-tuning

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine use to have an occasional gasp for air but since putting on the FPP tune I haven't had it. It was more of a throttle response or lack of at least that's how mine felt. But with the tune everything is more responsive. The only time it would do it was when I was running through the gears.
That's when it happens for me -- when running hard through gears. 0-60s. Its not a typical occurrence when I'm driving as John Q driver.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has to be trying to correct for something. Check the gap in the plugs. Could be bad fuel too. Ive had that happen with previous cars. As far as engines go you really only have 4 variables
-air
-fuel
-spark
-tuning
OK. Thanks. A 'similar' thread to mine pops up below from 2015 - "power drop between 4-5.5K rpm". It seems to suggest same as OlTexastang, that eb's come with factory tune with a variety of behaviors vs. conditions. It all seems to be corrected with a tuning upgrade.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Related but unrelated . . . . I watched my stats in the speedo display. After warm-up, my cylinder head temps ranged from 180*-205*, up/down, over the course of a 60 minute drive. Ambient temp for drive in was ~55*. Inlet air was a few degrees higher at ~57*.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Related but unrelated . . . . I watched my stats in the speedo display. After warm-up, my cylinder head temps ranged from 180*-205*, up/down, over the course of a 60 minute drive. Ambient temp for drive in was ~55*. Inlet air was a few degrees higher at ~57*.
Be careful not to confuse inlet air temp with charge air temp.
IAT - as it comes through the intake
CAT - as it leaves the intercooler (post turbo)

Car doesnt show charge air temps - but most handheld tuners do. My typical cat is about 20* higher than ambient temps. More if im being aggressive

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Screenshot_20170919-005550.png
Ford's torque management algorithm will jump in every once and awhile to protect driveline components and presumably reduce the chance of low speed pre ignition, what exact circumstances sets this off are unknown to me (it operates independent from traction control)

My torque pro app has an IAT2 monitor that shows air temp after the intercooler.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
I didn't realize there were that many gauges on Torque.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I didn't realize there were that many gauges on Torque.
You can add manufacturer specific PID lists in settings and have basically every sensor parameter available for viewing (I had to manually add the Octane Adjust Ratio PID, found the info on a Taurus forum), the layout is completely customizable with multiple screens so you can scroll through different gauge cluster setups on the fly.
The app cost 5 bucks and Bluetooth odb scanner cost 18 bucks over at bangood, if you have an iPhone a Wi-Fi odb scanner is necessary to connect to the phone.
This screenshot shows my f150 with a leaky o-ring on the evap solenoid causing a high AFR.
Screenshot_20170819-104950.png

1 - 15 of 15 Posts