Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 'gotta have it done now' approach has failed me yet again. :mad:

Last November, I installed my 20mm Eibach spacers without the unmistakable benefit of using any anti-seize paste. This, my friends, is a "teaching moment" as they say. ;)

Now, ~9 months and ~15k miles later, I've got a grade-A science project on my hands. The Eibach supplied conical seat bulge nuts are immovable. I'm guessing they've seized not only to the OE Ford wheel stud, but also the seat of the aluminum spacer itself. Even if I removed all 5 on a wheel, I'm certain I'll also have an issue removing the spacer from its cozy embrace of the rotor top hat surface. o_O

Auto part Flange Wheel Tool accessory Automotive wheel system

I've ordered a new set of nuts from Eibach with the assumption that the ones I eventually remove will be surely unusable. So at this point, any and all suggestions for removal of said nuts and spacers (without destroying spacer or rotor) is greatly appreciated. :)

Matt

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heat Always works. Try to heat up the nuts using a Torch. Heat expands metals.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks. Not that I have much choice, but do I risk compromising the wheel studs?
Not the wheel studs but it will definitely compromise the heat treatment *If Any* on the nuts. Also an Impact Wrench will also work without heat.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the wheel studs but it will definitely compromise the heat treatment *If Any* on the nuts. Also an Impact Wrench will also work without heat.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm already ordering up a fresh set of lugs - for just such a reason. I don't plan on reusing any, even if they come off clean.

Thanks, Randal577

·
Registered
185 Posts
A mix of Acetone and ATF is the best "knocker-loose" penetrating solution you'll ever use. Put a little on the nuts as close as you can to where it meets the wheel, maybe a couple of times after an hour or so, and let it sit over night. Give each of them a few little taps lightly with something metallic like a small hammer or a 1/2" extension. (don't beat on them, just tap to set up a little metallic ringing in the metal) Come back the next day and everything will usually just come right apart without tearing anything up.
Used that method on some old exhaust studs and they came apart like they were fresh nuts and bolts!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Once you're ready to go back together, slap some of this on all mating surfaces: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB34395
Product Material property Photography

"Loctite Marine Grade Anti-Seize is a metal-free formulation to protect assemblies exposed directly or indirectly to fresh & salt water. Loctite Marine Grade Anti-Seize works especially well in high humidity conditions." Note the "salt water" and "high humidity" comments. Just what Michigan throws at you.

I use the Nickel/Graphite variant (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB77124) from years of working with air-cooled engines (motorcycles/lawnmowers/aircraft/VWs), since stuck spark plugs in aluminum heads is a constant worry. It's also fantastic on exhaust bolts of all sorts.

The stuff's not cheap, but, in the small quantities you'll use, one can will last for years.

Nathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts