Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am still getting Misfire codes on the 2018 Ecoboost. Here is a breakdown of what I've done, and when. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can make some sense of this.

First thing I did was add the Ford Performance by Borla Catback Sport. This was done on Oct.12, 2018. No problems.
On October 23 2018, I had the MAPerformance EBM-ICK MAP Intercooler & Piping Upgrade Kit | 2015+ Ford Mustang Ecoboost (EB kit installed on the car, as well as the Mishimoto Catchcan. Installed by the local Ford Performance dealer here in N. Texas. No problems at all.

On April 30 2019, I had the FP Street Handling Pack installed, as well as the FP Pro Cal tune. Also asked the dealership to install NGK 6510's. After the install, at WOT, the car was blowing out the spark plugs. My suspicion is that the tech did a poor job gapping the plugs, but FP support line said to reinstall the Motorcraft plugs. Problem went away.

Starting getting the P0035 code, as well as cylinder 2 and 4 misfire codes. Back to dealer. They found that the resistor plug that was provided with the BOV (dummy plug) had gone bad. I got a new one, tested the one the dealer claimed was bad, and it was returning 0ohms, so that was the cause for the P0035.

Still getting random misfire codes, and now a cylinder 2 misfire. I have a suspicion that either bad coils, or plugs are fouled. The car only has 14K miles, and new plugs that were installed when we did the tune, so they probably have 7K miles on them.

Could the BOV setup, and the codes P0035 have caused a rich fuel mixture? I really do not want to replace the plugs every 5K miles. Scheduled to go the the dealer on Monday, and want to be armed with enough information to rebut them saying it is the BOV. All the problems started after installing the FP Tune.

·
Read Only
282 Posts
What plugs are you running? Could start by pulling them and see what they look like, if you are running rich then they'll be dark brown/black. Make sure they are gapped properly. If the plugs seem ok, you can try swapping the coil packs between cylinders and see if the misfire code changes to that cylinder. That's what you can check at no cost to you.

If the misfire code follows the coil pack, you know you have a bad coil and that's most likely your culprit. If that doesn't do it, change the plugs and get some NGK LTR7IX-11 (6510) one step colder plugs in there.

If that doesn't do it, worst case scenario is that the head gasket is starting to weep between the cylinders. Being open deck these motors suffer from a bit of cylinder flex. Over time the cylinder moves back and forth very slightly, im talking a few thousandths of an inch, but it begins to wear down the sealing material on the head gasket, especially between the cylinders.

Again thats worst case scenario and your car being low mileage, that likely isn't it, but still possible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, I am still getting Misfire codes on the 2018 Ecoboost. Here is a breakdown of what I've done, and when. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can make some sense of this.

First thing I did was add the Ford Performance by Borla Catback Sport. This was done on Oct.12, 2018. No problems.
On October 23 2018, I had the MAPerformance EBM-ICK MAP Intercooler & Piping Upgrade Kit | 2015+ Ford Mustang Ecoboost (EB kit installed on the car, as well as the Mishimoto Catchcan. Installed by the local Ford Performance dealer here in N. Texas. No problems at all.

On April 30 2019, I had the FP Street Handling Pack installed, as well as the FP Pro Cal tune. Also asked the dealership to install NGK 6510's. After the install, at WOT, the car was blowing out the spark plugs. My suspicion is that the tech did a poor job gapping the plugs, but FP support line said to reinstall the Motorcraft plugs. Problem went away.

Starting getting the P0035 code, as well as cylinder 2 and 4 misfire codes. Back to dealer. They found that the resistor plug that was provided with the BOV (dummy plug) had gone bad. I got a new one, tested the one the dealer claimed was bad, and it was returning 0ohms, so that was the cause for the P0035.

Still getting random misfire codes, and now a cylinder 2 misfire. I have a suspicion that either bad coils, or plugs are fouled. The car only has 14K miles, and new plugs that were installed when we did the tune, so they probably have 7K miles on them.

Could the BOV setup, and the codes P0035 have caused a rich fuel mixture? I really do not want to replace the plugs every 5K miles. Scheduled to go the the dealer on Monday, and want to be armed with enough information to rebut them saying it is the BOV. All the problems started after installing the FP Tune.
Check the plug gap. Trade coil packs of 1/2, and 3/4, see if the misfire follows the coils. When the plugs are out, Shine a light in the cylinder to see if there’s any moisture. I had a misfire that would only haven after sitting for 2-3 days. I had a tiny gasket leak into cyl 4

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
So, I will say, that I have read about 3 or 4 accounts on this forum of people having problems with the Turbosmart electrical connectors to our OEM plugs. I, myself, had an issue with a different Turbosmart electronic valve that also was not a great fit on the clip to the OEM connector.

I know that the MAP pipe kit has a special hotside pipe flange that requires a specific BOV and the stock one won't work for it...but I'm going to go out on a limb, and say, that if you put your stock hotside pipe and your stock BOV back on ... your problems might go away.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the Misfire code finally locked permanent, and the car went back to the dealer. Cylinder 4 misfire, as well as random misfire detected codes. Just got the call from the Service Advisor. They are waiting on getting a new short block and Ford is warrantying the whole thing. So at the risk of sounding like a rube, the short block is basically everything up to the valve cover?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I see you're also in Dallas - I'm going through the same thing right now with my 18. What dealer did you work through? I'm waiting on Ford warranty approval for a new block at 5 star on Bush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts