Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've installed my cold air intake and followed everything that the instructions said to do. But i am hearing this clicking/knocking sound come from the engine bay, from the inside of the car it sounds like knocking or popping but from the outside when i pop the hood it sounds like a clicking sound. It also sounds like it is coming from the left side of my engine area. The sound only happens when i light accelerate/decelerate. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
Have you checked your installation? something rubbing? Does it change with engine RPM or when you're driving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually uninstalled and reinstalled it, still making the noise. And what do you mean by it changes with RPM?

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
And what do you mean by it changes with RPM?
does the clicking change frequency (times/min) or sound when the RPM of the engine changes? Does it only appear when stopped or when moving. Those kinds of questions.
It almost sounds from the little bit of description that something is rubbing on a moving part of the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I'm following this post because I have a similar situation with the Roush CAI.
When I start to accelerate I am getting a kind of "thud" noise coming from the left side (turbo side) of the engine bay, which I can hear from inside the cabin.
Best described as someone moving a small box under the hood.
It's a once off noise, then perfectly quiet.
This happened from as soon as I installed it.
I have double checked the installation, all connections, and tightness of clamps, nothing rubbing on anything.... At the end of the day, there is not much you can do wrong with the installation.
It's just like any other CAI, air box, some hoses, air tube... Nothing complicated that could cause a noise.
Maybe that sound was always there and is normal, but becomes more apparent with the Roush CAI?
The car runs perfectly otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I start to accelerate I am getting a kind of "thud" noise coming from the left side (turbo side) of the engine bay, which I can hear from inside the cabin.
I have double checked the installation, all connections, and tightness of clamps, nothing rubbing on anything.... At the end of the day, there is not much you can do wrong with the installation.
It's just like any other CAI, air box, some hoses, air tube... Nothing complicated that could cause a noise.
Maybe that sound was always there and is normal, but becomes more apparent with the Roush CAI?
Same exact issue with me man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any ideas as to what it is?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Couple possibilities.
The intake tube can bump the bottom corner of the overflow tank.

The electronic blowoff valve solenoid sudden opening or closing of the valve will make a thud noise that can be heard in the absence of boost release hiss. The ecu will open the bov under zero boost conditions for improved fuel economy and condensation control.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for replying, is that noise a bad thing? Is there anything I can do to verify that the things you said could be the problem? Or should I just take my car to the service center?

·
Registered
161 Posts
i've installed my cold air intake and followed everything that the instructions said to do. But i am hearing this clicking/knocking sound come from the engine bay, from the inside of the car it sounds like knocking or popping but from the outside when i pop the hood it sounds like a clicking sound. It also sounds like it is coming from the left side of my engine area. The sound only happens when i light accelerate/decelerate. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
do you have a automatic or manual open the hood emergency brake on and a friend looking in that area do a light brake torque so the engine moves up and down with throttle on lightly then release and listen and look are the bolts tight in the bottom of the box? you can usually see something good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed my roush CAI on my 2019 mustang ecoboost and I have the exact same problem. I work at an autoshop and I asked our master tech to help me listen to the sound and help me find where its coming from and he said that its coming from the turbo itself. Every time I drive it past 3-4k rmp or every time the turbo hits, it makes the knocking sound. I dont know if that knocking sound is normal and should i just leave it be or is it something serious.

·
Registered
2018 Base Ecoboost, Stock/Factory Tune, M/T Tires
185 Posts
Is the CAI your only mod? Are you still using OEM intercooler connection pipes and OEM bypass/blowoff valve? And does your aftermarket CAI come equipped with both hose nipples and air box sensor port as the OEM system??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the CAI your only mod? Are you still using OEM intercooler connection pipes and OEM bypass/blowoff valve? And does your aftermarket CAI come equipped with both hose nipples and air box sensor port as the OEM system??
Yes, the roush CIA is my first and only mod as of right now, so everything on my car but the CAI are OEM. The CAI came equipped with both hose nipples and airbox sensor port. I feel like I did everything right, I mean its not like its a hard job or mod to do, its a CAI. I just dont know what this knocking sound is. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Base Ecoboost, Stock/Factory Tune, M/T Tires
185 Posts
Yes, the roush CIA is my first and only mod as of right now, so everything on my car but the CAI are OEM. The CAI came equipped with both hose nipples and airbox sensor port. I feel like I did everything right, I mean its not like its a hard job or mod to do, its a CAI. I just dont know what this knocking sound is. Thanks
It sounds like you have purchased a quality CAI. And have installed it correctly.
Based on "theory" and the changes I have made to my own cold air intake (which has amplified any and all pre-existing noises);
1) the popping and other noises may of always existed and are now amplified.
2) The noise is coming from the new intake, due to the expansion and contraction. You may want to open the filter box, and/or removed the filter for testing, while using a stethoscope to help pinpoint the noise.

·
Registered
2019 EB PP
63 Posts
I out a cai on mine and noticed the thud, clunk, hiss thing. What it turned out to be at that you are now hearing all the noises the BOV, turbo and valves that the intake uses. At first it is a bit discerning as you say to yourself wtf did I miss. For me the clunk wasn't so bad but the hissing at highway cruising speeds from bleed off drive me nuts. I replaced the cai and went back to stock and no more noise.

P.S. it can be easily replicated by unclipping the top of you stock air box. Anyone looking to drop big money on a cai may want to try this prior to buying one. Open lid, tape air cleaner to lid to filter air and go for a drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts