Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a high pressure fuel pump upgrade? I'm beginning planning for stage 2 of my build and am mulling port injection or upgrade the hpfp plus bigger injectors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
HPFP upgrade is nice because you retain all the factory ECU control and diagnostics. No need to run a second controller. Also, the new Xtreme DI pump is the same price as port injection setups. So I’d go for an upgraded HPFP.

·
Registered
173 Posts
An upgraded HPFP would be nice for the reasons euroturbostang stated, though with port injection you get the added benefit of keeping your intake valves clean.

·
Registered
139 Posts
An upgraded HPFP would be nice for the reasons euroturbostang stated, though with port injection you get the added benefit of keeping your intake valves clean.
I agree completely. That’s why I went with port injection. Like @euroturbostang mentioned, it is a bit more cumbersome having to tune a stand alone fuel controller, but for me, it’s worth it. That said, with aux port injection, you’re adding an additional component that could fail (similar to meth).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agree. However, if the car or it’s motor are pretty fresh, and one plans to run only E85 than valve deposits are not an issue. Somewhere Adam from Tune+ mentioned that E85 doesn’t leave nearly as much deposits as pump gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you go with the upgraded hpfp, how much power can you add before you need new injectors? And what will those cost if needed?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something like this. It has support for COBB and SCT tuning platforms.
This one is for made effort stock turbo I believe. Xtreme DI also makes another pump that’s something like $200 more expensive but will support a larger turbo. I’ve also heard somewhere that this exact pump and injectors will also support a bigger turbo. Can’t confirm anything though. Someone needs to ask Adam for more info

·
Registered
92 Posts
Something like this. It has support for COBB and SCT tuning platforms.
Form the manufacturer:
Up to 450lbft possible but not recommended with stock motor. 383whp (auto) / 400whp (manual), turbo limited.
With bigger turbo and E85 you need the XDI-HPFP35 and our XDI+55% DI-Injectors for >420whp, up to 500-550whp.
Above 500-550whp on E85 you need the XDI-HPFP60 and our XDI+55% DI-Injectors.

So I guess HPFP35 + injectors will be enough to max out the stock block in any configuration.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Form the manufacturer:
Up to 450lbft possible but not recommended with stock motor. 383whp (auto) / 400whp (manual), turbo limited.
With bigger turbo and E85 you need the XDI-HPFP35 and our XDI+55% DI-Injectors for >420whp, up to 500-550whp.
Above 500-550whp on E85 you need the XDI-HPFP60 and our XDI+55% DI-Injectors.

So I guess HPFP35 + injectors will be enough to max out the stock block in any configuration.
I could get away with the HP35 hpfp since my upgraded turbo maxes out at 520 wheel HP...

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a built engine (Mountune, Esslinger, TunePlus), and a ported head, with a BorgWarner EFR 8474 Turbo, on 91 gas; What's the highest horsepower that would be possible? Is more than 600whp possible? And is there a HPFP that could support that HP, again only on 91 gas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts