Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I finally broke down and bought a Cobb access port and loaded the Stage 1 tune yesterday. ( I have been telling myself that I wasn't going to do it until the odometer hit 36000....but I did not make it...lol.) Have any regulars here stayed on the stage 1 for any length of time without an intercooler upgrade? The reason that I ask is that I have not seen where anyone has had any mechanical failures running the stage 1 and I may stay put here for a while...or at least try. The next upgrade is the intercooler for sure, but I am hoping to hold off until the end of the year for that (There was some great Black Friday deals last year) Oh...btw....for anyone who is on the fence about adding the Cobb tune....it really is a different car now...very happy!!

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
I ran the Cobb Stage 1 tun for about 7 months. I also had no issues when I moved to the stage 2, or a custom tune.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sweet, I ordered the AP yesterday so I'll be installing it next week. Can't wait to see the difference.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
91 stage 1 with cai ...stage 2 after the intercooler upgrade....stage 3 if your running modified downpipe and different exhaust.. mostly i stayed with stage 1 until I did most of my mods..was great .. and stage 3 has really been to Sweet Spot for my particular vehicle and haven't had any issues. Besides killing my back tires:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear...thanks for the responses. You guys had no issues on stage 1 without an upgraded intercooler? I see you probably have hot summers like we do in Phoenix.

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
I didn't run the stock intercooler over even one summer. I know others have though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Glad to hear...thanks for the responses. You guys had no issues on stage 1 without an upgraded intercooler? I see you probably have hot summers like we do in Phoenix.
I have been running the Stage one for about 8 months and have had no issues. Stock with a CAI. I plan on going Stage 2 93 octane as soon as I get my mods in.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Fellas, what does the drive feel like with the Cobb tune? As some of you guys know, I popped for the RaceChip piggy-back tune recently - and the most obvious difference for me from stock is the extra pull I get ~5,000 rpm at WOT. If I'm hwy driving and I drop from 6 to 4, it takes off! And by data capture in track apps, I also took 0.3 seconds off my 0-60 time.

I've still got ~2 wks on my 30-day return policy.

Thanks for any input.

Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not drove much since I installed the tune but I will have a chance to play a little bit tomorrow. I will do some 0-60 pulls for fun and let you know. My best 0-60 is 6.2 without it but I have not done too many and I am certainly no pro at launching.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've had Cobb stage 1 and CAI since last summer, plan on getting the intercooler and going to stage 2 this spring. No issues at all for me, and my best 0-60 is 5.5 secs. And I average 28+ mpg in slot 5.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The COBB stage 1 93 octane tune pulls hard. I still avg 30 mpg in slot 1. I also will be installing a few tax time upgrades to move to stage 2. I will also be getting a custom tune from tune +.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've had Cobb stage 1 and CAI since last summer, plan on getting the intercooler and going to stage 2 this spring. No issues at all for me, and my best 0-60 is 5.5 secs. And I average 28+ mpg in slot 5.
I’ve been seeing consistent 5.7 0-60s on my (cold) winter Yokos. Classic peel-outs, dropping in at ~3,700 rpm. Anxious to see any difference with stickier Pirelli summer shoes.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Fellas, what does the drive feel like with the Cobb tune? As some of you guys know, I popped for the RaceChip piggy-back tune recently - and the most obvious difference for me from stock is the extra pull I get ~5,000 rpm at WOT. If I'm hwy driving and I drop from 6 to 4, it takes off! And by data capture in track apps, I also took 0.3 seconds off my 0-60 time.

I've still got ~2 wks on my 30-day return policy.

Thanks for any input.

Matt
The biggest advantage from COBB is the AP shows all the guages. You know exactly what every sensor is doing whenever you want

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you are looking for gauges the SCT LiveWire has a bigger display and looks more like it belongs in the car.

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got to get out and push it a bit this morning and I am really pleased. It pulls strong all the way to red line now. I did one 0-60 at 5.6. Thats in sport mode, rolling onto WOT and letting the AT do the shifting. No power braking or disabling traction or stability. She felt really strong. I really love this car:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mamizana,

It looks like we have really similar performance results at this point. The only reason I chose Cobb over something like what you have or the FPP tune is that I always have the choice to go further with Cobb if I choose to......and know myself well enough to know that I at some point I will choose to.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mamizana,

It looks like we have really similar performance results at this point. The only reason I chose Cobb over something like what you have or the FPP tune is that I always have the choice to go further with Cobb if I choose to......and know myself well enough to know that I at some point I will choose to.
Makes total sense. The futuring options are really attractive for the Cobb setup. I’m really trying to conduct all the due diligance I can in my 30-day window.

After reviewing my dyno intel, RaceChip just sent me another set of maps, working iteratively to get me closer to +48 hp / +81 lb-ft. I’m hitting the dyno again on Monday to see. I’ll post the data.

Thx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently installed a MAP intercooler and an Airaid intake tube and tried the Cobb stage 2 tune. I really did not notice an increase in power and it really seemed like I actually lost a little power on the bottom end. I switched back to Stage 1 and I definitely like it better. I will stay put there until after summer and then look into a pro tune. Anyone else notice this when switching to stage 2?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I recently installed a MAP intercooler and an Airaid intake tube and tried the Cobb stage 2 tune. I really did not notice an increase in power and it really seemed like I actually lost a little power on the bottom end. I switched back to Stage 1 and I definitely like it better. I will stay put there until after summer and then look into a pro tune. Anyone else notice this when switching to stage 2?
I have heard that going to stage 2 there is not much difference. Once I receive my intercooler and get it installed, i wil be going to stage 3 and see how that is. I already installed the 3" exhaust. Later, I will get the wastegate and GFB diverter valve and the custom tune.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts