Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ boosted . jt
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, over my one year of owning my Eco, I've added various bolt ons and I bought a cobb accessport about 2-3 months ago, I havent installed it yet, let alone done a tune on it because I know it would void my warranty, powertrain and bumper to bumper. I just want to see what everyone's experiences have been with tunes on their car specifically

How many miles have you put on your tune?

Are you daily driving your car?

Did you wait for the warranty to expire first? If you did, 36k/3yr or 60k/5 year?

Are you pro tuned or OTS tuned?

Ethanol or Pump gas?

What kindof bolt ons are you running? Are you on Stock Block or Built Block/Heads / Any heavy modification to "bulletproof" your car?

Any issues? Minor or otherwise?

Has your dealer upheld your warranty despite a tune/ Has your dealer denied a warranty claim even though you didnt void your tune and remained on a stock tune?

I daily my car, but I still want more out of it, I think my "chase for power" will be complete whenever I get around to doing a tune, from then one probably just gonna stick with cosmetic stuff such as a wrap. But since its my daily, I need it to be decently reliable, I know the best way to be reliable is for it to remain on a stock tune but I still have a itch to scratch. I know the consequences of blowing my engine will solely be on me if I decide to go through with it and my engine blows because of my tune and not because of something else.

I appreciate any responses given, stock tune or otherwise. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Administrator
3,837 Posts
How many miles have you put on your tune?

Are you daily driving your car?

Did you wait for the warranty to expire first? If you did, 36k/3yr or 60k/5 year?

Are you pro tuned or OTS tuned?

Ethanol or Pump gas?

What kindof bolt ons are you running? Are you on Stock Block or Built Block/Heads / Any heavy modification to "bulletproof" your car?

Any issues? Minor or otherwise?

Has your dealer upheld your warranty despite a tune/ Has your dealer denied a warranty claim even though you didnt void your tune and remained on a stock tune?
1. I've been tuned in some form since roughly 1100 miles and I'm at 56,000 now.
2. I daily the car.
3. nope didn't wait for warranty.
4. OTS tuned around 1100 miles, pro tuned around 12,000 miles.
5. Pump gas tuned. I don't want to have to fight looking for E85 all the time since there are no stations near me that carry it.
6. Stock block, full bolt ons other than turbo and downpipe. I did run a high flow catted downpipe for a year, but I'm in an emissions check area and it was causing issues, so I went back to the stock down pipe.
7. Blew the head gasket two years ago. Two different dealers denied warranty coverage. Since then I don't go to the dealer for anything. I've had to do a rear wheel bearing and a full brake job, but those are wear items and I do some occasional track days...

·
Registered
2017 PP MT DD
1,274 Posts
Tuned almost from day dot, now at 145000 miles
I daily drive the car
Didn't wait for warranty
OTS tune first but it didn't respond very well so went straight to custom tune after about a week
Pump gas 98
FBO including catch can that has caught the smallest amount of blow by in fact it's literally a thin film on the inside if the can, certainly nothing like ALOT of the guys get on here.
Dealer was mod friendly and never had a warranty denied. But I've not had any mechanical issues so far with the engine. Biggest issue was the front suspension fault

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
On my personal Mustang, borrowed money to purchase, zero mods and still on factory tune, no issues and a joy to own and drive!
Competition Mustang, liquidated BSTracing, paid cash for car, tore up warranty and trailered to track, haven't looked back, no regrets!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. I've been tuned in some form since roughly 1100 miles and I'm at 56,000 now.
2. I daily the car.
3. nope didn't wait for warranty.
4. OTS tuned around 1100 miles, pro tuned around 12,000 miles.
5. Pump gas tuned. I don't want to have to fight looking for E85 all the time since there are no stations near me that carry it.
6. Stock block, full bolt ons other than turbo and downpipe. I did run a high flow catted downpipe for a year, but I'm in an emissions check area and it was causing issues, so I went back to the stock down pipe.
7. Blew the head gasket two years ago. Two different dealers denied warranty coverage. Since then I don't go to the dealer for anything. I've had to do a rear wheel bearing and a full brake job, but those are wear items and I do some occasional track days...
For me, I would be in a very similar situation regarding modifications and tuning (if I decide to tune) the thing I would be worried about is a blown head gasket, cracked block, or just a large failure in general because of the denial of warranty, my dealers have told me explicitly if I tune the entire warranty will be voided. But honestly 56k miles isn't too bad because I plan to trade this car in anyways down the line. Damn dude you track your daily? Balls of steel.

I appreciate your input a lot thanks man.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tuned almost from day dot, now at 145000 miles
I daily drive the car
Didn't wait for warranty
OTS tune first but it didn't respond very well so went straight to custom tune after about a week
Pump gas 98
FBO including catch can that has caught the smallest amount of blow by in fact it's literally a thin film on the inside if the can, certainly nothing like ALOT of the guys get on here.
Dealer was mod friendly and never had a warranty denied. But I've not had any mechanical issues so far with the engine. Biggest issue was the front suspension fault
See this is what I would ideally want and im sure most want. No major issues while FBO and pro tuned and a huge amount of mileage. I just don't know if mine is a faulty unit and is waiting to blow or if its gonna be a trooper like yours and outlive me. I do everything I can including preventative maintenance & regular maintenance, full synth oil, you know the drill. But I mean its just a matter of whether or not I want to go down that route with the included risks you take. There is a dealer I know that is mod friendly, the head serviceman literally told me if I tune and just take it off he'd be able to "overlook" it, and he wouldn't "know" about it. Nice guy but I don't know how true it would be and the extent of his influence regarding getting a replacement engine/ massively vital part if catastrophic **** happens.

So far 19k ish miles and no massive issues other than the valve body but it was replaced within a week and now drives smooth. I just don't know if I have a ticking time bomb or if its gonna be a dependable car.

Thank you for your input I appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my personal Mustang, borrowed money to purchase, zero mods and still on factory tune, no issues and a joy to own and drive!
Competition Mustang, liquidated BSTracing, paid cash for car, tore up warranty and trailered to track, haven't looked back, no regrets!
Man I wish I could be like ya, two mustangs 1 being the beast to let loose on the weekends and the other as a daily. That's awesome man, thank you for your response !

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Something you may what to look into... Changes made to the 2020+ Ecoboost Mustang motor (connecting rods) ... Where any changes made??
Watch Wood Clock Glass Fashion accessory

The one on the right is what I have in my 2018 mustang. The one on the left is what may be in the 2020+ Ford Ranger? and maybe the Mustang?? I have not been able to confirm this information!!
PS: Does anyone know if any 2020+ motors have gone boom!??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something you may what to look into... Changes made to the 2020+ Ecoboost Mustang motor (connecting rods) ... Where any changes made?? View attachment 41469
The one on the right is what I have in my 2018 mustang. The one on the left is what may be in the 2020+ Ford Ranger? and maybe the Mustang?? I have not been able to confirm this information!!
PS: Does anyone know if any 2020+ motors have gone boom!??
in the comments of that video, a guy said ." My cousins shop they saw a few ecoboost mustang going eco boom but the earliest models he hasn’t seen any 19 and up going ecoboom in his shop lately he has also mentioned that since the new oils GF6 Sp comed out that he has seen alot less problems with Ecoboost and any other turbo cars and GDI cars " so i mean maybe? i really hope i got lucky here. i guess me and the other '20 owners will be the guinea pigs if thats the case with the i beam style connecting rods

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
540 Posts
2020 HPP
10500 on car
Tuned since 3k miles
Dealer is mod friendly and also takes care of my modded F150 3.5 TT
Daily Driver
Stock Motor
Protuned by PD Tuning
91 and E30
FBO's with NX2 Precision turbo
CVF street IC, CVF H/C pipes, CVF "3 Catted DP, Airaid Tube with AEM Dryflow Filter, Turbosmart duel port electronic BOV, J&L driver side catch can.

Currently dialing in my e30 tune, ripped off a couple logs for Ryan this morning for the v1.4 map. There was a boost spike of 24 but the car holds between 22-23psi.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
i wouldnt need a reply from ya i already have your input from another post 🙄😂 Good seeing you friend
Great! That's actually what I was going to do is search and find a post that I know I made at some point, that addresses what you asked and wanted to wait till I was at the computer so I could find it easier. Glad to help! Hope you are doing well.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
2020 HPP
10500 on car
Tuned since 3k miles
Dealer is mod friendly and also takes care of my modded F150 3.5 TT
Daily Driver
Stock Motor
Protuned by PD Tuning
91 and E30
FBO's with NX2 Precision turbo
CVF street IC, CVF H/C pipes, CVF "3 Catted DP, Airaid Tube with AEM Dryflow Filter, Turbosmart duel port electronic BOV, J&L driver side catch can.

Currently dialing in my e30 tune, ripped off a couple logs for Ryan this morning for the v1.4 map. There was a boost spike of 24 but the car holds between 22-23psi.

Wow! Your HP looks great!! I have a long way to go, just did a base 93 octane pull and only recorded 345 HP with 390 Torque.

Reactions: steve.amestoyjr

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
540 Posts
Wow! Your HP looks great!! I have a long way to go, just did a base 93 octane pull and only recorded 345 HP with 390 Torque.
Are you doing the WOT 5th gear 3k to 6k pulls right now? With this map he has me doing the 2nd through 4th gear 3k to 6k WOT pulls and all I did was spin in 2nd gear . The base map and V1.1 through V1.3 maps were the 5th gear 3k to 6k WOT pulls.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Are you doing the WOT 5th gear 3k to 6k pulls right now? With this map he has me doing the 2nd through 4th gear 3k to 6k WOT pulls and all I did was spin in 2nd gear . The base map and V1.1 through V1.3 maps were the 5th gear 3k to 6k WOT pulls.

All I've done is the 5th gear, 3K to 6K logs on 93 octane so far.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How many miles have you put on your tune? 15,000

Are you daily driving your car? Yup

Did you wait for the warranty to expire first? If you did, 36k/3yr or 60k/5 year? Nope

Are you pro tuned or OTS tuned? Protuned by PD Tuning

Ethanol or Pump gas? 91 Pump gas

What kindof bolt ons are you running? Are you on Stock Block or Built Block/Heads / Any heavy modification to "bulletproof" your car? CVF street intercooler and catted down pipe, K&N filter, Airaid intake, MBRP exhaust, cooler plugs, Stock Block, and some suspension mods.

Any issues? Minor or otherwise? No issues so far. I try to be preventative. Regular oil changes every 5k miles, warm up the oil before doing any pulls, not racing from light to light (I pick my battles).

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium 10R80 w/ Black Acct Pckg
69 Posts
How many miles have you put on your tune? About 2.5K, Thanks COVID!

Are you daily driving your car? DD

Did you wait for the warranty to expire first? If you did, 36k/3yr or 60k/5 year? No... Also got the extra 3 year bumper to bumper warranty along with the Tire/Wheel Protection.

Are you pro tuned or OTS tuned? OTS, Ford Performance

Ethanol or Pump gas? "91" but fill with 93 (no 91 in my area and rumor has it you still need 93 for full powa!).

What kindof bolt ons are you running? Are you on Stock Block or Built Block/Heads / Any heavy modification to "bulletproof" your car? K&N Filter provided with Tune. Next mods are IC and Exhaust after I find a good pair of summer shoes to mess around in.

Any issues? Minor or otherwise? None. Like other posts, been trying to do preventative maintenance since this will probably be the last gas engine car I'll own unless something major happens.

Has your dealer upheld your warranty despite a tune/ Has your dealer denied a warranty claim even though you didnt void your tune and remained on a stock tune? Haven't needed to bring it in yet for something like that, but between talking with multiple service people at my dealership, and people who've had the FP Tune previously, I expect it to be a none issue.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts