Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
437 Posts
I was peaking at 28psi.
That's crazy! Ryan only has me around 23psi on 91 and e30. My last revision had my est HP 440 and 430 trq at 23psi. Even that being crank power it's around 385-390 whp. What kind of numbers were you seeing on the AP at 28psi?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's crazy! Ryan only has me around 23psi on 91 and e30. My last revision had my est HP 440 and 430 trq at 23psi. Even that being crank power it's around 385-390 whp. What kind of numbers were you seeing on the AP at 28psi?

I was cresting 400 HP at times but mostly hanging around 370-380 HP.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
OK! Thanks for the reply. Does this make sense to you? I'm trying to learn, and this is what I understand at this point. The larger turbo puts out a much larger volume of air, so it should take less boost to produce the same performance as with the smaller stock turbo. So, for example, and I'm making these numbers up for sake of discussion, because I don't have any real world numbers but it makes the point of how it works from what I understand - if the stock turbo pushed 25 pounds of boost to produce a given level of power, a larger turbo with increased air volume should be able to produce the same power at say 20 pounds of boost. Does that make sense? So to follow it through, the NX2 at 28 pounds of boost might be like running the stock turbo at 35 pounds of boost, as an example. So that greatly increased volume of air, resulting in a huge jump in power was more than the block could handle?

Taking it further, if the goal was safety and longevity of the engine, wouldn't it be better to run the larger turbo at 20 pounds of boost, vs the smaller at 25 pounds of boost, assuming they put out equal power due to the larger turbo's higher volume of air at less boost pressure?
That makes a ton of sense. Turbos have a flow rate in CFM and the larger the turbo the higher the CFM rating which means it takes less boost to reach the same CFM rate that a smaller turbo would be able to achieve. But turbo flow is only half the equation when determining power. You also have to account for ignition timing and fuel pressure when determining power levels.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That makes a ton of sense. Turbos have a flow rate in CFM and the larger the turbo the higher the CFM rating which means it takes less boost to reach the same CFM rate that a smaller turbo would be able to achieve. But turbo flow is only half the equation when determining power. You also have to account for ignition timing and fuel pressure when determining power levels.
Cool, thanks! I've learned a lot from asking questions here. Appreciate your time.

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
437 Posts
Maybe over the past couple years Ryan has learned a thing or two about a thing or two. Like I said he only has me around 23psi with NX2 and FBO's. I think he's doing more with timing and such. My WOT logs never have knock or negative ignition corrections, it's either 0 or a max of around +2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone, over my one year of owning my Eco, I've added various bolt ons and I bought a cobb accessport about 2-3 months ago, I havent installed it yet, let alone done a tune on it because I know it would void my warranty, powertrain and bumper to bumper. I just want to see what everyone's experiences have been with tunes on their car specifically

How many miles have you put on your tune?

Are you daily driving your car?

Did you wait for the warranty to expire first? If you did, 36k/3yr or 60k/5 year?

Are you pro tuned or OTS tuned?

Ethanol or Pump gas?

What kindof bolt ons are you running? Are you on Stock Block or Built Block/Heads / Any heavy modification to "bulletproof" your car?

Any issues? Minor or otherwise?

Has your dealer upheld your warranty despite a tune/ Has your dealer denied a warranty claim even though you didnt void your tune and remained on a stock tune?

I daily my car, but I still want more out of it, I think my "chase for power" will be complete whenever I get around to doing a tune, from then one probably just gonna stick with cosmetic stuff such as a wrap. But si
nce its my daily, I need it to be decently reliable, I know the best way to be reliable is for it to remain on a stock tune but I still have a itch to scratch. I know the consequences of blowing my engine will solely be on me if I decide to go through with it and my engine blows because of my tune and not because of something else.

I appreciate any responses given, stock tune or otherwise. Thanks guys.
I have had the Cobb Stage 2 tune with the Cobb intercooler and Airaid CAI on .y 2020 10speed for about 4K miles. No problems, just the constant grin on my face from enjoying how well the car drives now.
I can reinstall the factory tune if necessary, but I don't expect to

·
Registered
20 Posts

Now that looks fun 440HP, i have run the Cobb stage 2 never seen over 343 HP, i just sent my 1st datalog to TunePlus so well have to compare numbers see how close to 440HP i get. Im being tuned for 93 and E30.

·
Registered
Follow my Instagram @ jt.s550
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I have had the Cobb Stage 2 tune with the Cobb intercooler and Airaid CAI on .y 2020 10speed for about 4K miles. No problems, just the constant grin on my face from enjoying how well the car drives now.
I can reinstall the factory tune if necessary, but I don't expect to
I've had alot of folks tell me their good experiences but its the bad ones that scare me away. I dont want to make a giant financial mistake by ruining my warranty and having the engine give out. Ecoboosts from what ive read, are hit or miss, youll get a car that'll blow at 30k miles or outlive you even through tunes. I might full send it after my 36k miles is over but i dont know. I just wish i could know how well my eco will do.

Reactions: MattSin97

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had alot of folks tell me their good experiences but its the bad ones that scare me away. I dont want to make a giant financial mistake by ruining my warranty and having the engine give out. Ecoboosts from what ive read, are hit or miss, youll get a car that'll blow at 30k miles or outlive you even through tunes. I might full send it after my 36k miles is over but i dont know. I just wish i could know how well my eco will do.
I brought mine new. Drove it for a 100 miles or so with no issues. Then I drove it hard off and on over another 600 miles, a few hundred of those very hard. I wanted to find out if I had a lemon, a car with a defect in the engine, and if I did it should have shown was my thought. All was well. I put COBB Stage 1 OTS on it and ran it a thousand miles or so, some of them hard. No problems. Then I got a custom tune and fbo and have had no issues in 9800 miles.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here's the deal... If you drive it daily and depend on it for your livelihood, and don't have a backup plan, don't do it. If a blown engine would be a giant financial mistake for you, don't do it. If you're the kind of person who always frets about stuff, don't do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I brought mine new. Drove it for a 100 miles or so with no issues. Then I drove it hard off and on over another 600 miles, a few hundred of those very hard. I wanted to find out if I had a lemon, a car with a defect in the engine, and if I did it should have shown was my thought. All was well. I put COBB Stage 1 OTS on it and ran it a thousand miles or so, some of them hard. No problems. Then I got a custom tune and fbo and have had no issues in 9800 miles.
Yeah, you’re definitely one of the few whos pushed me to the point where i actually want to post and see peoples consensus on it. Because i bought mine new, pushed the block fairly hard for a bit and havent had issues thus far and im very close to eclipsing 20k miles. Our experiences with our cars are very similar id say, both new, both have bolt ons, both have cobb accessport tunes (you have installed , i havent but have the ability to) . But i have heard countless stories of ecoboom alongside the success stories. Im super on the fence and its rather annoying speaking to me , im sure most are thinking “just pick one or the other” but its not simple to me, the dilemma is basically:

Tune: Have lots of fun, be free to do whatever i want, finally completely assemble the bolt ons i installed and make them all work together for better performance, have a huge smile when i drive, start gapping cars i never could before

No tune: Be fairly secured financially, less anxiety towards my car and if im sitting on a grenade waiting to f- me over, be reassured i’ll probably make it to my next car without having this one blow itself up, trade in/ selling it would be less of a hassle,

Im sure i put in several misconceptions/ missed things i should be considering but its 2 am and im on my phone lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Here's the deal... If you drive it daily and depend on it for your livelihood, and don't have a backup plan, don't do it. If a blown engine would be a giant financial mistake for you, don't do it. If you're the kind of person who always frets about stuff, don't do it.
I figured as such. I’ll probably just end up waiting it out. What might end up happening is that i tune at 36k miles. But we’ll see i suppose. Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
I figured as such. I’ll probably just end up waiting it out. What might end up happening is that i tune at 36k miles. But we’ll see i suppose. Thanks
The powertrain warranty is 5/60 not 3/36 but 36k is a good time to allow for any engine defects to materialize.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah man, no problem waiting it out. Its still a fun car even without a tune. There are still a lot of modifications you can make in the meantime, especially suspension and exterior upgrades. If you still need to scratch that itch after you do those, then try out the Ford Performance Tune (has warranty), I hear good things about it. But remember to have a fun time and enjoy your car for what it is right now!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, you’re definitely one of the few whos pushed me to the point where i actually want to post and see peoples consensus on it. Because i bought mine new, pushed the block fairly hard for a bit and havent had issues thus far and im very close to eclipsing 20k miles. Our experiences with our cars are very similar id say, both new, both have bolt ons, both have cobb accessport tunes (you have installed , i havent but have the ability to) . But i have heard countless stories of ecoboom alongside the success stories. Im super on the fence and its rather annoying speaking to me , im sure most are thinking “just pick one or the other” but its not simple to me, the dilemma is basically:

Tune: Have lots of fun, be free to do whatever i want, finally completely assemble the bolt ons i installed and make them all work together for better performance, have a huge smile when i drive, start gapping cars i never could before

No tune: Be fairly secured financially, less anxiety towards my car and if im sitting on a grenade waiting to f- me over, be reassured i’ll probably make it to my next car without having this one blow itself up, trade in/ selling it would be less of a hassle,

Im sure i put in several misconceptions/ missed things i should be considering but its 2 am and im on my phone lol.
Under the No Tune Section - you hit on the things as to why you should not tune your car. Seriously, just enjoy your car as it is. It is a TON OF FUN right out of the factory. Enjoy it. Putting a tune on it causes you worry and anxiety and that's not worth doing. It can or may interrupt your financial future. You might or probably will have to trade it in and that might be another financial risk with mods. All those things say don't do it because you are just setting yourself up for another thing in this world to add to the general level of worry and anxiety and that's not a good place to be.

We all have different levels of risk tolerance and/or are in different places in life or both. Recognizing that is just the smart thing to do if you want to live a peaceful life. I'm probably at a different spot that most ecoboost owners, is my guess, in that I'm an old fart in mid 50's. I'm not sitting on a pot of gold, not even close, lol, but I have a little bit more financial resilience than I had as a younger person so id it blows up it's not the end of the world. Most important is that I now work from home so don't need a car to get to work to earn income. If the mustang blows up I have my trusty old 2005 Nissan Pathfinder that I keep as my winter/snow vehicle, so I have another way to get around. It's in great shape for 140,000 miles and since I do not have a daily drive anymore, it's more than adequate for my primary vehicle if need be because I really don't drive much at all now. I have no need to sell the mustang or trade it. It's now like my Pathfinder, I'll probably have it for 10 years or more and it may outlive me!

Have fun and enjoy your car!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts