Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! looking for feedbacks, safety suggestions and things to look out for.

Planning to drive my 2017 ecoboost from Texas to California that is 1700mi. This is the first time i'll be making a trip this long. So please recommend anything i need to do before i take off to this adventure. Thank you!

·
Registered
251 Posts
There's nothing unsafe about it..... assuming your tires aren't bald and your lug nuts are tight.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Your car is as reliable as any modern car, which is to say, very. On the off chance you do encounter a problem, repairs are only as far as the nearest Ford dealer, which are likely numerous along your route. Now if you were driving an 30 year old exotic, well, that might be a different story.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Man, I haven't taken a long roadtrip in a while. Sounds like fun. I drove between San Diego and Miami twice a long, long time ago. Since then, my longest drive has probably been 1000 miles. I remember this little nugget of an overlook area if your travels take you through I-10
Scenic Overlook Rest Area

Get an oil change if your close and definitely if you are overdue. Don't drive even if you are remotely drowsy. Take a nap if you have to. Rest stops are plentiful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Food. I just drove from WA to AZ and back and finding anything but fast food on the road was a problem. At night find a hotel with a restaurant that has takeout nearby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I haven't taken a long roadtrip in a while. Sounds like fun. I drove between San Diego and Miami twice a long, long time ago. Since then, my longest drive has probably been 1000 miles. I remember this little nugget of an overlook area if your travels take you through I-10
Scenic Overlook Rest Area

Get an oil change if your close and definitely if you are overdue. Don't drive even if you are remotely drowsy. Take a nap if you have to. Rest stops are plentiful.
Thanks man! i'll be sure to check it out, it'll be on my way. I am excited for this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Add 3-4 lbs of air to the tires. If an oil change is upcoming, delay it 'til you get back or do it at least two weeks before departure. I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine that far. I'd want a co-pilot. I wouldn't want to try that alone unless I had at least five days.

My wife and I drove 1,800 miles to Colorado in her RAV4 last October. Great trip. The RAV did quite well. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
640 Posts
In 2018 I drove my daughter out to Calgary from Toronto in her 2012 Altima, loaded to the gills, in under four days. That was nearly 2,200 miles. Less than a year later, she decided she wanted to come back and finagled a transfer back here. I flew out on July 31 (a Wednesday) and arrived around noon local time, came out to the pickup, got in the car and slept in Regina, nearly 500 miles later. Not a particularly long day for my daughter but a bit of a hike for me. We pulled into the drive here shortly after 7 pm on the Saturday. I told if she moves again, to try and stay in the province.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I drove last year from Long Island up to Montreal, Quebec and Tadousac round trip was about 1500 miles, not one issue and we had a blast. (maybe my 19 year old daughter in the back seat would have preferred something else). These cars are reliable. Just do the required safety checks one does before any trip. Remember a car runs very efficient on the highway and the mileage really does not do too much wear and tear on the vehicle. I think my combined mileage was around 28 if not higher which is not bad for a week of city driving included.

·
Super Moderator
3,067 Posts
The last long road trip I took was in a 1971 Datsun. Over 2000 miles in a week. If I wasn't concerned about that car you shouldn't be concerned about a 3 year old Mustang. Just drive.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
If your car has had the maintenance kept up on it, it should be no issue. I take mine from D/FW out to San Diego or D/FW to Bowling Green KY without any issues or worries.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No problem at all. Just make sure tire pressures are right and you have a recent oil change. Be sure all headlights turn signals, tail lights, brake lights are working and fill your windshield washer fluid.

The only other thing I'd mention is flat tire plan - I purchased the Ford compact spare that fits in the trunk right after I got my Mustang. Under $200 IIRC if you shop around - and piece of mind. Otherwise, maybe consider roadside assistance coverage like AAA or similar...….or not worry about it :)

Have fun and enjoy your Mustang road trip!

·
Registered
111 Posts
No problem at all. Just make sure tire pressures are right and you have a recent oil change. Be sure all headlights turn signals, tail lights, brake lights are working and fill your windshield washer fluid.

The only other thing I'd mention is flat tire plan - I purchased the Ford compact spare that fits in the trunk right after I got my Mustang. Under $200 IIRC if you shop around - and piece of mind. Otherwise, maybe consider roadside assistance coverage like AAA or similar...….or not worry about it :)

Have fun and enjoy your Mustang road trip!
Please note if you have a performance pack the spare won't work at least on the front the rotors are too big. Someone out their sells a spare that fits for about $400. I decided to just take the chance and it worked out. Also as luck would have it I bought the tire warranty for the car and guess what? No issues with the tires. Previous cars that I did not buy the warranty did. Tires have actually become more reliable over the years especially the 18's and over tires. Depending on your luggage needs you can stick another tire in the back. I have winter tires and on a few trips where I didn't need too much space I just threw one in. As some one that rather change there tire than wait 45-90 minutes for roadside to show up, it can be frustrating.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My buddy drove from Floriduh to New Mexico last Summer to visit his dad. 2016 Ford Ecoboost Premium black on black. On run-flats no less. No issues. Says the cooled seats came in handy. Enjoy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good catch by LostSAAB on the Performance Pack/std. spare tire compatibility issue. Obviously I missed that the OP had the PP......sorry for any confusion:oops: On non-PP cars, I think the spare is well worth the peace of mind. I actually got mine for about $165.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi guys! looking for feedbacks, safety suggestions and things to look out for.

Planning to drive my 2017 ecoboost from Texas to California that is 1700mi. This is the first time i'll be making a trip this long. So please recommend anything i need to do before i take off to this adventure. Thank you!
We would miss out on a lot if we were afraid to drive our cars. I own a 1939 Oldsmobile street rod that has a 1971 Cutlass drivetrain. Couple of years ago a buddy with a 1934 Ford "Mustang" suggested we take a drive from east Tennessee up to Gettysburg, Niagara Falls, across Canada to Detroit Ford Museum, then back south to Knoxville. Ten days, 2200 miles neither car missed a beat. I know some other guys with street rods that are afraid to drive them very far from home - what a shame. Just do your best to make sure it is a safe driver, then hit the road; if something happens deal with it, but rarely does something happen.

I wouldn't hesitate a second about driving a modern car anywhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you're car isn't running right, don't take it. If you haven't noticed anything wrong, then you're good to go. As others have noted, do a mini inspection before you leave (fluids, pressures, belts, leaks, etc.). When you check the tire pressures don't forget to check the spare (if you have one).

I did a 2600 mile "there and back again" trip year before last. I don't know how yours is equipped, but mine is a premium with the factory Shaker/sub sound. It was by far the most comfortable road trip I've ever taken. For me, the seats in this car are P-E-R-F-E-C-T-O.

If you don't have the upgraded sound system consider a good pair of wired earbuds--assuming your phone is so equipped. You never have to worry about the battery dying, and the sound quality on most bluetooth headsets is worse than the base sound system in the car. RHA makes a premium set (MA390 I believe) for around 30 bucks. They're super comfortable, they have a mic so you can talk hands-free, and if you wear them properly they'll cut down tremendously on outside noise.

With the gas prices, you couldn't pick a better time or a better car. I averaged around 32 mpg for the entire trip. Enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Food. I just drove from WA to AZ and back and finding anything but fast food on the road was a problem. At night find a hotel with a restaurant that has takeout nearby.
Couple weeks ago, my niece and her husband did a one-week road trip from LA to Austin and back. She mentioned that they had dinner at a sit down restaurant in Scottsdale. I was surprised to hear that. I thought all the restaurants in were closed for dine-in due to COVID.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts