Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you would like to remove the factory preset equalizer curve and bass rolloff and/or turn your speaker outputs into variable line level outputs that you can connect an RCA terminal to directly I have found all the necessary info. I tried this awhile back but had no real luck as I was changing the wrong things but I have now found the correct info and will share for those interested.

I have recently installed new 6.5's speakers front and back with a four channel amp, a single 12 inch sub with a monoblock amp, I added a Metra AX-DSP to make the factory system work with the aftermarket amps, my success was limited by the terrible clipping of the factory head unit after volume 15, the preset factory eq curve needed massive correction from the AX-DSP and there was a slight background hiss. I tried the FORScan program and I can testify that this does work, volume goes all the way to 30 clean, factory dsp disabled and no more hiss, all head unit functions still work after the changes.

Note- FORScan cannot identify a tuned car so you will need to temporarily flash back to stock to make the changes.Update- Forscan can recognized some tunes now.

First thing is that you need a laptop, nothing fancy just a laptop. next you need a free program called FORScan,

Parrot harness for those who do not want to cut any factory wires, cut off the ISO connectors and splice into them-
CARAV 12-240
FORD - CARAV - INTERNATIONAL
CARAV 12-240 Autoradio Adapterkabel ISO T-Kabel für FORD Focus Fiesta, C-Max | eBay

Here is a guide to FORScan for those interested in modifying their Ford stereo's
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gF1wxIqxY/edit

ODB connector that can read/write non-pcm modules-
Cheap wired ODB connector
https://www.amazon.com/bbfly-BF32302.../dp/B01N9R9QS2

Wireless but more expensive ODB connector
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-4261...DH963QW32CVMNJ

This worked on my 2017 F150 and 2017 Mustang
Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (for adding aftermarket amp without sound clipping)
ACM 727-01-01 xx5A xxxx xxxx
ACM 727-01-02 00xx
APIM 7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx <--- this change required only if you have Sony DSP
Source
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2017-...-build-372285/

This works for 2016 and older (note the xx59 instead of xx5A)

This mod can be done with FORScan w/ODBLink MX Adapter:
727-01-01 xx59 F8x8 xxxx - Enables Line Level with Optional Subwoofer (Aux 1) and Front Center (Aux 2) Outputs Enabled*
727-01-02 00xx - Disables Factory EQ Processing
(ACM As-Built)

* This string breaks down as follows:
5 = Variable Line Level Audio Output
9 = Enable External Subwoofer (AUX 1) and Internal Amplifier (Aux 2) (0 - Disable)
F = Disable Open Speaker Circuit Detection (w/Active FM Radio Antenna - Otherwise use a D)
8 = Front Tweeters Present
8 = Aux 1 Type: Mono Subwoofer and Aux 2 Type: Front Center

7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx
(APIM As-Built) - APIM change required only if you have Sony DSP before completing this mod.
Source
Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (Factory Radio) For Amplifier Upgrades

·
Registered
5 Posts
This thread is invaluable. Now, I don’t need a new head unit or a line output converter. I just need an appropriate OBD2 cable and a T-harness. I have some vintage unused equipment that could be used (AudioControl DQXS and JL Audio HD900/5).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a question. If I use forscan to flatten the factory eq curve, will I still be able to adjust the bass/mid/treble through the factory head unit? Or will it require an aftermarket eq of some sort? I’m just planning to install a simple system with new speakers and a 4 or 5 channel amp with sub.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a question. If I use forscan to flatten the factory eq curve, will I still be able to adjust the bass/mid/treble through the factory head unit? Or will it require an aftermarket eq of some sort? I’m just planning to install a simple system with new speakers and a 4 or 5 channel amp with sub.
All audio functions of the CD player will still work after the change.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can the Sirrius app be removed via FORScan? I have found a few posts on other vehicles, not sure on ours. I have very little experience in programming. What is the difficulty rating on something like this? Is there any risk of really fouling things up? Would I be better off leaving this in the hands of my 8 year old?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can the Sirrius app be removed via FORScan? I have found a few posts on other vehicles, not sure on ours. I have very little experience in programming. What is the difficulty rating on something like this? Is there any risk of really fouling things up? Would I be better off leaving this in the hands of my 8 year old?
My car is a base model without Sirrius so I never looked into making any changes to it, I just stream music from my phone over bluetooth usually.
The programming is fairly simple as you just follow the instructions and change the specific values as listed, the possibility to brick the computer does exist if a person were to randomly change values in some important modules that is why you should read the faq linked above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (for adding aftermarket amp without sound clipping)
ACM 727-01-02 00xx
APIM 7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx <--- this change required only if you have Sony DSP
Hi. I have a 2017 Mustang GT Premium with the Shaker Pro sound system and desperately need to mod the car to make head unit into low-level line output to go into aftermarket amps and dump my aftermarket DSP. A friend and I have tried your suggestion and it does not work. We are using a new OMBDLink MX and latest version of forscan. We successfully changed other parameters (such as signal light error code) so know our equipment is correct. We have tried changing 727-01-01 to xxXx to every possible hex value from xx0x to xxFx which includes xx5x. We Tried xx5A, xx59, and dozens of other combinations. The head unit definately reboots after every write. Some of the combinations cause the speaker output to go to 0 - we have several pro-grade meters connected to the speaker outputs of the factory amp module (where the gas pedal is) to detect any output. Some values cause the volume buttons to stop working. None of these combinations result in the deck putting out a low-level (0 to 2 volts) output. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. I have a 2017 Mustang GT Premium ~ None of these combinations result in the deck putting out a low-level (0 to 2 volts) output. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk
The explanation that I read for the output at the back of the CD player on the amplified systems was that-
The 4 channel speaker output from the factory CD player is a constant output that does not change with volume, the canbus system actually sends a signal directly to the amplifiers to tell them to increase or decrease volume and the 4 channel signal is summed or divided at the amplifiers to achieve a center and sub channel. So if you are testing the speaker level output the results at the speaker terminals would be different then the speaker wire signals at the back of the factory CD player.

Also, on the base system only the first two changes are necessary those are the changes that turn off factory preset eq and amplified out to variable line level out, but on the amplified systems the 3rd change is necessary to tell the ACM that the balance/fade/eq/volume adjustments are no longer to be done at the amplifiers but inside the factory CD player instead.

Hopefully that helps a bit but if it does not there is a fellow on youtube that has extensive experience with this and has made efforts to create a simple plug in programmer to make the ACM programming changes, he should know exactly what the problem is as far as getting certain codes to work.

His channel is OEMradio solutions and his email is [email protected] or [email protected]
Here is his channel
OEMRadio Solutions

Here is a video explaining the plug in modules he was working on.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you would like to remove the factory preset equalizer curve and bass rolloff and/or turn your speaker outputs into variable line level outputs that you can connect an RCA terminal to directly I have found all the necessary info. I tried this awhile back but had no real luck as I was changing the wrong things but I have now found the correct info and will share for those interested.

I have recently installed new 6.5's speakers front and back with a four channel amp, a single 12 inch sub with a monoblock amp, I added a Metra AX-DSP to make the factory system work with the aftermarket amps, my success was limited by the terrible clipping of the factory head unit after volume 15, the preset factory eq curve needed massive correction from the AX-DSP and there was a slight background hiss. I tried the FORScan program and I can testify that this does work, volume goes all the way to 30 clean, factory dsp disabled and no more hiss, all head unit functions still work after the changes.

Note- FORScan cannot identify a tuned car so you will need to temporarily flash back to stock to make the changes.

First thing is that you need a laptop, nothing fancy just a laptop. next you need a free program called FORScan,

Parrot harness for those who do not want to cut any factory wires, cut off the ISO connectors and splice into them-
CARAV 12-240
FORD - CARAV - INTERNATIONAL
CARAV 12-240 Autoradio Adapterkabel ISO T-Kabel für FORD Focus Fiesta, C-Max | eBay

Here is a guide to FORScan for those interested in modifying their Ford stereo's
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...gF1wxIqxY/edit

ODB connector that can read/write non-pcm modules-
Cheap wired ODB connector
https://www.amazon.com/bbfly-BF32302.../dp/B01N9R9QS2

Wireless but more expensive ODB connector
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-4261...DH963QW32CVMNJ

ACM 727-01-02 00xx
Source
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2017-...-build-372285/

This works for 2016 and older (note the xx59 instead of xx5A)

This mod can be done with FORScan w/ODBLink MX Adapter:
727-01-01 xx59 F8x8 xxxx - Enables Line Level with Optional Subwoofer (Aux 1) and Front Center (Aux 2) Outputs Enabled*
727-01-02 00xx - Disables Factory EQ Processing
(ACM As-Built)

* This string breaks down as follows:
5 = Variable Line Level Audio Output
9 = Enable External Subwoofer (AUX 1) and Internal Amplifier (Aux 2) (0 - Disable)
F = Disable Open Speaker Circuit Detection (w/Active FM Radio Antenna - Otherwise use a D)
8 = Front Tweeters Present
8 = Aux 1 Type: Mono Subwoofer and Aux 2 Type: Front Center

7D0-01-01 2xxx xxxx xxxx
(APIM As-Built) - APIM change required only if you have Sony DSP before completing this mod.
Source
Variable Line Level Preamp Outputs From ACM (Factory Radio) For Amplifier Upgrades
Forscan won't see the FP tune either?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forscan won't see the FP tune either?
Unfortunately no, I had to flash back to stock to get Forscan to recognize the car, after I made the necessary changes I flashed the FP tune back on the car.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The easiest way to do it is with the AX-dsp

Here are few videos detailing how it works.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I gotta say the Shaker pro system that comes in ADM cars responds extremely well to the
HERTZ DIECI SERIES 6.5" 2 WAY COMPONENT SPEAKERS and the 3.5" HERTZ DIECI 2ways in the mids.
I cant get it up past 17 as its litrally too loud but theres absolutely no distortion. These are extreamly clear and impressive speakers for the price and an easy install as well. I have a pair 6.5" Herts DCX 2 ways for the rear to install and will buy another pair of 3.5" DCX to do the center dash and have one spare

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Unfortunately no, I had to flash back to stock to get Forscan to recognize the car, after I made the necessary changes I flashed the FP tune back on the car.

Ugh. I think I may pass on this, then. That ProCal software is god awful and I have no desire to embark on another adventure without hardcore instructions on how to do it. The car is hummin right now, and I don't want to mess with it. That might sound a little pollyanna-ish, but that's my 'warm and fuzzy'.

If you wouldn't mind, to take this a step further: When I hit 60K, and I feel like maybe I want to try the Cobb, or Tuned+ routes, will I again have to 'flash back to stock' in order to run a new tune?? Is there no tuner that can just write over my FP tune? If I EVER flash back to stock, it has to be with concrete instructions on how to get it done, or with someone with solid experience with the ProCal software (which means I'll probably have to shell another $200 or so to get it done, since thats what the 2 quotes were at from people I figured did have this experience...a Ford Service Tech at the dealership, and Steeda). I ended up going the cheap route ($125) to save a few bucks and look what happened. Ultimately, putting the tune on was something that was fairly simple to do, but the gut wrenching of the "unknown" of what I had done....was rough to say the least.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugh. I think I may pass on this, then. That ProCal software is god awful and I have no desire to embark on another adventure without hardcore instructions on how to do it. The car is hummin right now, and I don't want to mess with it. That might sound a little pollyanna-ish, but that's my 'warm and fuzzy'.

If you wouldn't mind, to take this a step further: When I hit 60K, and I feel like maybe I want to try the Cobb, or Tuned+ routes, will I again have to 'flash back to stock' in order to run a new tune?? Is there no tuner that can just write over my FP tune? If I EVER flash back to stock, it has to be with concrete instructions on how to get it done, or with someone with solid experience with the ProCal software (which means I'll probably have to shell another $200 or so to get it done, since thats what the 2 quotes were at from people I figured did have this experience...a Ford Service Tech at the dealership, and Steeda). I ended up going the cheap route ($125) to save a few bucks and look what happened. Ultimately, putting the tune on was something that was fairly simple to do, but the gut wrenching of the "unknown" of what I had done....was rough to say the least.
I understand completely, the procal software is downright primitive compared to other tuners.
The dsp I mentioned will give you a sub output and remote on wire with no tuning changes required.
Rockford fosgate makes a similar dsp called the DSR1, both the dsr1 and the ax-dsp can be had for under $300us, they integrate into the factory headunit and gives you all the features that you would get with an aftermarket stereo.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The easiest way to do it is with the AX-dsp

Here are few videos detailing how it works.

Thank you. I'm having a hard time finding the proper harness for our base model systems.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I got mine from ebay.
Below are pictures of the listings for the harness itself and one for a harness and dsp combo.
Man, that's not cheap. Add in a $150 amp and $150 sub(which is the whole reason I want that), and that's alot of bread for some good radio fidelity. Gonna have to file this one away for a bit. But atleast its good to know that my money would be basically wasted on an amp/sub package without this piece of equipment. Thanks again slojas.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
When did you do this? Did you do it with the 3.8 software? Is our "stock flash backup" the .pc3 file in the Documents/ProCal/Calibrations folder that is named with the FPtune file & your VIN? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts