Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also, if there isn't a work around for these two systems, what would you suggest to get a deeper sound? Any alternative systems? Also, from what I understand, there is no resonator on stock active exhaust.

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
437 Posts
Also, if there isn't a work around for these two systems, what would you suggest to get a deeper sound? Any alternative systems? Also, from what I understand, there is no resonator on stock active exhaust.
To my knowledge Borla is the only one to make systems for Active exhaust but they are both around 2k. You can get one with black tips or chrome tips. Not really worth the upgrade to me since it's still all a 2.25" piped cat back just like stock. I asked them if they offered axle backs for Active exhaust and they don't at this time. And yes you are correct....Active exhaust does not come with a resonator on U.S spec cars.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Listening to the borla s type for the non-active exhaust (couldn't find active exhaust video), it doesn't seem to sound any deeper than the stock active system. Maybe it's louder, but I'm really in it for the tone.

Would a muffler delete help with tone you think?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Listening to the borla s type for the non-active exhaust (couldn't find active exhaust video), it doesn't seem to sound any deeper than the stock active system. Maybe it's louder, but I'm really in it for the tone.

Would a muffler delete help with tone you think?
This is my 2020 HPP with AE and a cvfab 3" catted downpipe. Cold start to idle down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my 2020 HPP with AE and a cvfab 3" catted downpipe. Cold start to idle down.

Sweet, how did it affect tone/volume? Hard to tell from the video, but seems loud. Which isn't bad. Unfortunately, my exhaust note is being compared to my Abarth, which is a 4 turbo with amazing exhaust note.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sweet, how did it affect tone/volume? Hard to tell from the video, but seems loud. Which isn't bad. Unfortunately, my exhaust note is being compared to my Abarth, which is a 4 turbo with amazing exhaust note.
Deeper and louder, no drone, no rasp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deeper and louder, no drone, no rasp.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Might have to go this route then. Kinda new to mods. What was the purpose of the down pipe mod, and what should I consider before committing to the mod as far as performance increase and/or risks?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the info. Might have to go this route then. Kinda new to mods. What was the purpose of the down pipe mod, and what should I consider before committing to the mod as far as performance increase and/or risks?
I'm already full bolt ons and big turbo so I wanted to open up the exhaust a bit more. I'm also 91 and e30 pro tuned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm already full bolt ons and big turbo so I wanted to open up the exhaust a bit more. I'm also 91 and e30 pro tuned.

Thanks again! Any down sides to this for me? No back pressure issues if I do only this?

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium 10R80 w/ Black Acct Pckg
28 Posts
I'll leave the question of possible solutions to those that have said active exhausts. As for why, an oversimplified explanation is that for the active exhaust to work there needs to be an electronically controlled valve that opens or closes within the muffler, (often times its viewable from one of the exhaust pipes as many of them are quad exhausts). To answer why the companies don't have one, keep in mind that the exhausts both companies made are from/for the 2015+ model years. Keep in mind the ecoboost never had an active exhaust option until 2020 model year. Given how many people own an active exhaust ecoboost and would want to modify them, there probably just isn't enough market demand for them to warrant redesigning their current product. Many people I've seen who have the active exhaust (ecoboost) are generally pretty content with the active exhaust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is from another thread that i saved. Mustang Ecoboost HPP (High Performance Package) Modifications Log

4) AWE Active Exhaust Plates and Dowels- The hpp edition came from the factory with an active exhaust setup. As of now, there are no defeat plugs nor has there been a simulation plate advertised
to work with the factory valves.
The computer will throw a code showing the active exhaust is not functioning unless you uninstall the valves from the factory exhaust and keep them connected to the vehicle.
I spent hours searching for solutions. None of the Grimmspeed, MRT, ETS, etc. options would work because the hpp edition uses a completely different valve manufactured by SBS.
I then found out that the new Toyota Supra uses the same SBS valve from the factory and came across AWE who includes a bypass plate in their kits for the Supra.
I reached out to AWE and I was able to purchase the plates and dowel pins needed for us hpp owners to bypass the factory valves. Finally a solution.
AWE was not aware of the compatibility of the parts and in turn, they do not manufacturer a kit specifically for this application.

You will have to call AWE and ask for John Voss. Give him part numbers 150004 (valve simulator plate) and 98380A457 (dowel pin), you will need a quantity of two for both parts. $80-100 + tax/shipping

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll leave the question of possible solutions to those that have said active exhausts. As for why, an oversimplified explanation is that for the active exhaust to work there needs to be an electronically controlled valve that opens or closes within the muffler, (often times its viewable from one of the exhaust pipes as many of them are quad exhausts). To answer why the companies don't have one, keep in mind that the exhausts both companies made are from/for the 2015+ model years. Keep in mind the ecoboost never had an active exhaust option until 2020 model year. Given how many people own an active exhaust ecoboost and would want to modify them, there probably just isn't enough market demand for them to warrant redesigning their current product. Many people I've seen who have the active exhaust (ecoboost) are generally pretty content with the active exhaust.
AE was anoption on 2019 also, I have it on my 2019. The mufflers each have 2 tips, one tip
is straight through, and the other has a valve in it. Track mode is basically like having no muffler. When the valve is closed (quiet mode) or partially closed (sport/sport+) some or all of the exhaust flows through a different path to the other tip. The alternate path has chambers to muffle the sound.

The added complexity and smaller market are probably why most don’t bother to make an AE muffler for ecoboost. You could possibly find an axleback made for GT AE, but no clue how that would sound.

There isn’t much you can do to make it louder except changing the downpipe, high flow cat may be louder, catless is definitely louder. From a performance perspective, the only real improvement (besides downpipe) is to use a custom Y with 3” in, so you have 3” all the way. The factory Y gradually decreases to 2.25” before the Y.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts