Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ford are looking to reel me in with 0% finance deals - a combination of post-covid lockdown plus need to ship out old stock before new models are imported (to UK), now puts a GT more easily within my financial reach. I can get the cheap deals on a manual GT in oxford white 2019 or a velocity blue 10 speed auto 2.3T, but stocks are low.

At the risk of this sounding weird, the GT felt 'slower' than my 2017 2.3 for 95% of the test drive, for the remaining 5%, when I was able to get it up to very high revs, it felt considerably faster. But in all truth, it didn't push me back in my seat as much as I expected. Without doubt, the type of roads that I took the car along didn't really let me access the car's full power more than a few times, but that was 'real world driving' for me - I missed the agility of my car, and I really missed the surge of the turbo boost kicking in. You have to bear in mind how cramped and smaller UK roads put the cars in a very different context to USA, Australia, Canada etc..

So, I either keep my car with the risk that at the end of my 3 year deal that I can't get another 0% option or as good terms as on offer now, or, I act now to get a brand new 2019 10 speed 2.3 for the same monthly payments as my current deal.

For those of you who have made the switch from the 2017 6 speed auto to the 2019 10 speed ecoboost, how did you find the difference. Whilst there are countless YouTube comparisons between ecoboost and GT models, I can't find any good ones comparing the respective ecoboost models. Apologies if the answers have been given many times before in this very forum, but I am in a bit of a rush!

Registered
Do whatever makes you happy. If i were to ever buy an auto EB, it would be a 6 speed auto (15-17). If i were to buy an auto GT, it would be a 10 speed auto. The GT however doesn't float my boat like the EB, and like you said the turbo noises make me giggle inside haha :p. If you don't really plan on modifying the car much, then i would go for the GT 10 speed, because an EB with FBO, pro tuned, is pretty close to the same power, probably a bit slower top speed, than the GT. However if your like me and want to turn every nut and bolt on your car, and looking for 600whp, then stick with the EB. Sure you can make 600whp in a GT, no problem, but it's not as exciting IMO. Cheers mate, GL on your choice 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Darn....and now I get to see that the European spec of the 2019 model has a significant reduction in HP (emissions issue) that's a very unwelcome realisation - so whereas your help/views would have been very welcome, unless you are someone who can contrast the 2017 auto 6 speed (317 PS) with the later 10 speed with 290 PS (Eu spec) your experience is unlikely to match mine if I get one. Given that the significant majority of Eu purchasers go for the V8, I am not sure there will be many/any on this forum who have made that specific change.

Super Moderator
The ecoboost is faster then the gt from 60-100. I would agree that if you buy a gt get the 10 speed auto. on the other hand the ecoboost are fun cars(I have had 2 of them) and I do miss them every now and then. If you are just a daily and not a track buff I wouldn't waste the time on the gt. The ecoboost can be made too out handle and out a gt on a track very easily

Registered
Something that I鈥檝e noticed is that a lot of the 5.0 owners make their car out to be some god car that is so much better than ecos in every way, but thats not the case at all. I haven鈥檛 driven an 18+ 10 speed but I鈥檝e driven a couple of fbo 15-17 coyotes and none really had the fun feel that a turbo does (for obvious reasons). I鈥檇 take a fbo tuned eco over a fbo tuned 5.0 almost any day of the week. The eco is honestly more like a wrx/sti than it is to a 5.0, at least when it comes to handling/driving experience. So it really is just what you prefer. I wouldn鈥檛 say one is 鈥渂etter鈥 than the other, it鈥檚 just a matter of preference.

Registered
I thought I was truly crazy and the only one who felt this way, but I was looking to trade my 2018 EB Premium A10 for a new 2020 GT Premium... After several extended test drives in the GT, I changed my mind completely. The place where I need/use power, (40-80ish MPH, 2500-5K RPM), passing cars, doing a pull etc, the EB actually feels stronger..And I am not a "engine sound" guy...That being said, I am sure the GT would turn into a rocket ship near 7K RPM..but I generally dont drive that way... I really prefer the low RPM torque of boosted engines...To me, the power is in the more usable range, If you look at the torque graphs for the 2 engines , this is confirmed..... Needless to say, I didnt trade for the GT...Kinda regret it sometimes, but saved a bunch on money by keeping my EB....

I thought I was completely alone in these opinions..but maybe not .....

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I was truly crazy and the only one who felt this way, but I was looking to trade my 2018 EB Premium A10 for a new 2020 GT Premium... After several extended test drives in the GT, I changed my mind completely. The place where I need/use power, (40-80ish MPH, 2500-5K RPM), passing cars, doing a pull etc, the EB actually feels stronger..And I am not a "engine sound" guy...That being said, I am sure the GT would turn into a rocket ship near 7K RPM..but I generally dont drive that way... I really prefer the low RPM torque of boosted engines...To me, the power is in the more usable range, If you look at the torque graphs for the 2 engines , this is confirmed..... Needless to say, I didnt trade for the GT...Kinda regret it sometimes, but saved a bunch on money by keeping my EB....

I thought I was completely alone in these opinions..but maybe not .....
So imagine my disappointment, after getting back into my ecoboost (after driving the GT) and realising that my car has more 'accessible power', but that if I want to take the 0% interest trade offer Ford are offering me (which feels too good to miss, as I will be getting brand new Mustang and my monthly costs will stay the same), I feel I will have to move to the GT given that 2019 Mustangs (UK spec) have considerably less power than my 2017 model (emissions laws).

Registered
So imagine my disappointment, after getting back into my ecoboost (after driving the GT) and realising that my car has more 'accessible power', but that if I want to take the 0% interest trade offer Ford are offering me (which feels too good to miss, as I will be getting brand new Mustang and my monthly costs will stay the same), I feel I will have to move to the GT given that 2019 Mustangs (UK spec) have considerably less power than my 2017 model (emissions laws).
Just because your monthly payments 'stay the same' doesn't necessarily make it something you should absolutely do, as having your car 'paid off' is a very sweet place to be at. So if you're extending out for another 2 or 3 years, I'd think twice. I'm in a similar position. I could jump into a GT right now at a similar monthly rate with the 'equity' I have in the car vs how much I have left plus extending out for another few years...but I really want to own the Nite right out, and Im getting so much closer to that.

Kudos to any forum member on here that own their Eco right out!(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Just because your monthly payments 'stay the same' doesn't necessary make it something you should absolutely do, as having your car 'paid off' is a very sweet place to be at. So if you're extending out for another 2 or 3 years, I'd think twice. I'm in a similar position. I could jump into a GT right now at a similar monthly rate with the 'equity' I have in the car vs how much I have left plus extending out for another few years...but I really want to own the Nite right out, and Im getting so much closer to that.

Kudos to any forum member on here that own their Eco right out!(y)
I appreciate the advice and I know where you are coming from - buying my Ecoboost was my plan until very recently but strangely enough it was my wife who argued against that (she used to work in the car industry). The temptation of the 0% finance got me to look again at how far my final balloon payment would go (in my case UK 拢16k...that's a lot of $s!) into covering monthly cost of new car over the next few years and paying for replacement brakes and tyres too. I will have my first MoT on the Eco in a year (don't know what your annual check is called in US/elsewhere) and they never come cheap, and I will be out of warranty as well (and I suspect that my front brakes need replacing again fairly soon and last time that cost me the equivalent of around $600). So the 'sweetness' of paying off a car for the very first time vs staying on the never-ending cycle of effectively 'renting' brand new cars is a tough call.

Registered
I drove a 2019 GT and was disappointed, it had the 10 speed auto, it was a bit doggy on the low end, nothing should be doggy at any range that has 460HP, the gas will eat you up, i have been driving a V8 stang daily since 2008, unless you baby it, it wont even get 16 MPG. you can't baby a V8 stang, temptation is just to much, i was getting avg of 12 MPG in mine

Registered
I recently test drove a 2020 Mustang GT 10spd and had mixed feelings.

1. The sound was pretty nice for stock V8 and in my opinion is the selling point.
2. I also thought it was a bit doggy on the low end. Was expecting extreme torque or something (never driven a V8)
3. I left the lot with 70 mi remaining in gas and drove it somewhat hard for about 15 min and came back with 60 mi remaining. That is insane!! also it was a base starting at 35K I just can't justify it, i'm happy with an exhaust on my 18 EB, not a V8 sound but still loud and enjoyable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts