Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I asked this group for any opinions, but not much was known. In the end, after my own needs evaluation, budget, research and discussions with a few trusted powertrain engineers/friends, I made the purchase.

Cliff Notes: All-in-all, after ~2 weeks, 750 miles, 2 dyno runs and on-going (excellent) customer service/tech dialogue with RaceChip, I'm pleased. This car really comes alive at higher RPMs, and keeps pulling. And while I'm not yet at the +48 hp / +81 lb-ft advertised (technically, its 'up to' 48 / 81), RaceChip engineers are continuing to contemplate my dyno data and advise. This is still in-process.

RaceChip had a President's Day sale and I purchased the unit with iOS app interface, for $549.00, delivered. That's ~$150 off regular pricing. They also offer a full 30-day money-back guarantee, with free return shipping.

upload_2018-3-7_15-17-16.png
upload_2018-3-7_15-59-38.png

upload_2018-3-7_16-2-3.png

upload_2018-3-7_16-3-3.png

upload_2018-3-7_16-5-50.png

With the money saved, and to satisfy my piece of mind, I ended up renting some dyno time at a local tuner - just to validate what my butt's been feeling after a couple of days driving. You see, my butt's been much happier since this thing arrived.

I know enough to know, as nice and trusting as my butt is, these types of posts are worthless without data. So I've uploaded my pull data in this post.

The first round of 6 runs on 28-FEB was to compare stock (1, 2) with the out-of-the-box GTS-Black settings of RACE (3, 4, 5) & SPORT (6).

upload_2018-3-7_15-37-20.png

I then asked RaceChip to move the power a bit forward in the RPMs, for US highway driveability, vs. Autobahn. They obliged very quickly, sending me updates via my iOS app where I simply clicked 'Search for available updates . . . .' to download. Slick!!

upload_2018-3-7_16-7-42.png

In my second round of dyno action on 05-MAR, I had the shop plot the 1st runs (base1a, race2a and sport 1a), with the new second runs for RACE (race1b) and SPORT (sport1b).

upload_2018-3-7_15-43-39.png

upload_2018-3-7_15-46-52.png

I compiled both day's data into an excel summary:

upload_2018-3-7_15-51-0.png

It's a lot of info, I know. But I also know this group likes, er demands data. And I also know this type of solution is not preferred by the vast majority of you. But . . . if you're like me, and you just want a little extra ooomph on the highway, this seems like a very reasonable solution. Yes, its the early stages in my honeymoon. Yes, I'm putting a lot of faith in these German engineers and the concept of available 'headroom' in Ford's base powertrain design. But part of me expects I'd be seeing posts all over the place if RaceChip was blowing up engines.

In the end, proceed at your own risk. I simply offer my info to the group for your own personal contemplation. I'm happy so far.

Many Happy Miles!

Matt

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great write-up, I didn't know anything about this product. You're a pioneer, I just purchased the Cobb Accessport today. What are some of the reasons you chose RaceChip over the less expensive, and more supported Accessport or SCT?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great write-up, I didn't know anything about this product. You're a pioneer, I just purchased the Cobb Accessport today. What are some of the reasons you chose RaceChip over the less expensive, and more supported Accessport or SCT?
Honestly? I wanted to purchase Cobb unit, but I'm still within my warranty, and RaceChip is piggy-back system, with no ECU footprint. Cobb unit re-flashes ECU, so it leaves a trail. In event anything major (or even minor) happens, I can pull the RC system out.

But . . . . all of this is still under consideration. I still have some time on my money-back guarantee.

With that said, has anyone with Cobb mods needed any warranty work? What has been dealer's position? Part of me thinks they don't care - and don't dive too deeply into diagnosis, because its warranty work after all, which is $$$revenue$$$.

Thoughts, while I still have a window to return my goodies?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Judging solely by what I've read on forums, it seems to vary a lot with each dealership. I consider myself lucky that the service manager at my dealership drag races his S197 and is happy to talk about mods. I haven't needed any warranty work, but I'd like to think we have a good enough relationship that he won't make a big deal about a few mild bolt-ons. Time will tell.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And while the AccessPort is $500, I think you'd need to add at least the Cobb CAI for ~$300 to achieve to Cobb's Stage 1 performance, no? If I'm reading my data correctly, I'm getting closer to Cobb Stage 2 values (at least in hp) with the RaceChip unit. It looks like Cobb gives RC a pretty good thumping on low-end torque.

I looked at Cobb's baseline map vs my own baseline. First off, I don't know what correction factor they're using (standard, SAE, etc), but I do see that their baseline hp matches what I saw on the dyno -- ~275 whp @ ~5,200 RPM. Their baseline torque shows ~290 lb-ft @ ~2,200 RPM.
upload_2018-3-8_13-18-29.png

My data also shows ~275 whp @ 5,500 RPM w/~280 lb-ft @ ~2,800 RPM. And both are based on 93 octane. So unless I'm not sensitive enough to these numerical deltas, I consider this apples to apples on baseline.
upload_2018-3-8_13-20-47.png

upload_2018-3-8_13-21-24.png

Cobb's Stage 1 w/CAI hits ~279 whp @ ~5,300 RPM + 360 lb-ft @ ~2,600 RPM. My RaceChip 'RACE' setting achieves ~307 @ ~5,600 + 314 lb-ft @ ~4,840 RPM.

Cobb's Stage 2 adds the CAI + Intercooler, and hits ~320 whp @ ~5,650 RPM + 375 lb-ft @ ~3,200 RPM. Again, my 'RACE' setting hits ~307 / 314

Matt

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judging solely by what I've read on forums, it seems to vary a lot with each dealership. I consider myself lucky that the service manager at my dealership drag races his S197 and is happy to talk about mods. I haven't needed any warranty work, but I'd like to think we have a good enough relationship that he won't make a big deal about a few mild bolt-ons. Time will tell.
Thanks for the feedback, Sarge.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So are you completely stock other than the RaceChip? If so, those are great dyno numbers!

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
And while the AccessPort is $500, I think you'd need to add at least the Cobb CAI for ~$300 to achieve to Cobb's Stage 1 performance, no?
No. The Cobb Stage 1 does want a high flow drop in filter, but you don't have to change out anything else.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Expert consult needed . . . How should the tuner shop be 'dyno-ing' my eb? I have the non-performance setup, with the 3.31:1 final drive (base for M/T). The only thing I can really tell is that my vehicle hits ~112 mph at the height of the test, then ramps down.

What's the whole process? Can you give me some primers to ask/confirm?

Thanks much.

Matt

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, with the 3rd update received from RaceChip, I dyno'd at 300 whp / 328 lb-ft, both at 4,800 rpm. So as I conclude this 30-day evaluation period, the data says . . .

Best hp recorded @ 313 whp --> gain of 41, vs 'up to' 48 advertised by RaceChip
Best torque recorded @ 328 lb-ft --> gain of 56, vs 'up to' 81 advertised by RaceChip

My butt says this car is now super fun @ 4-6k rpm, pulling smooth and hard to 120 (when my non-performance eb shuts off the fuel :confused:). But that's probably a good thing.

I could probably go a few more rounds with RaceChip tweaking to get closer to advertised, but dyno time isn't super cheap (although my last set of pulls was a freebie because of a scheduling error :)). At this point, I like the drivability/rpm range - and don't mind leaving a little more headroom in the powertrain. I will keep this toy.

Matt

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, with the 3rd update received from RaceChip, I dyno'd at 300 whp / 328 lb-ft, both at 4,800 rpm. So as I conclude this 30-day evaluation period, the data says . . .

Best hp recorded @ 313 whp --> gain of 41, vs 'up to' 48 advertised by RaceChip
Best torque recorded @ 328 lb-ft --> gain of 56, vs 'up to' 81 advertised by RaceChip

My butt says this car is now super fun @ 4-6k rpm, pulling smooth and hard to 120 (when my non-performance eb shuts off the fuel :confused:). But that's probably a good thing.

I could probably go a few more rounds with RaceChip tweaking to get closer to advertised, but dyno time isn't super cheap (although my last set of pulls was a freebie because of a scheduling error :)). At this point, I like the drivability/rpm range - and don't mind leaving a little more headroom in the powertrain. I will keep this toy.

Matt
Well, a glaring brain-fart oversight on my part. RaceChip gains are at crank, not wheels. So if I back off the roughly 13.5% in drivetrain losses recorded, GTS-Black should provide up to 41.5 (w)hp and up to 70 lb-ft torque. I'm right at hp limits and at ~80% of torque. Good enough for gub'ment work.

Happy miles, team.

Matt

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested in this item. So if I understand you correctly, this is not traceable by the dealership? So you're not affecting your warranty as long as you remove all trace of this item? Sorry if I sound like a broken record. I have a 17 with only 6200 miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm interested in this item. So if I understand you correctly, this is not traceable by the dealership? So you're not affecting your warranty as long as you remove all trace of this item? Sorry if I sound like a broken record. I have a 17 with only 6200 miles. Thanks.
Sorry for late reply . . . just saw this. Yes, that's the idea. This is a 'bypass' system that doesn't write to the ECU. So, theoretically, they should never know it exists. However, I've found myself wondering, if my car ever crapped out and I had to have it towed, I'd need to find ~30 minutes to uninstall this system before it got towed to dealership. Will I really be able to do this? Who knows.

But I will say this . . . once I hit 60K miles, I'm crossing over to Cobb setup. But in meantime, I'm digging the performance I'm getting from my RC GTS + XLR.

Matt

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Checking in folks, as I realize after seeing recent tuning posts that its been just over 3 years since I installed my RaceChip GTS Black. I just hit 73,500 miles on my eb, with 41,500 after RC install. IMO, money well-spent to get the +41 whp / +56 lb-ft. improvement I dyno-documented in Mar 2018.

Downside? One expensive speeding ticket earned with extreme speed (and extreme stupidity) on I-75 North.

I'm a believer.

Many happy miles!

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts