Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to the Ford dealership to pick up the 15 mm bolts that connect the downpipe to the Turbo and about 2 miles from the dealership the car had no boost. The dealership looked at it and said the Turbo may have failed. My factory warranty ended last week but I had an extended premium warranty that is good for another 12 months and 20k miles.

I just had the cp-c street IC and charge pipes installed a couple of weeks ago and the dealership said Ford may not cover because it has been modified and I told them that is crazy. How does an upgraded IC and charge pipes cause a Turbo to fail? The only mods on the car are MBRP cat-back, IC and pipes.

Thankfully I haven't flashed the ECU yet or added the downpipe or Airaid Modular Intake Tube.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
On my way to the Ford dealership to pick up the 15 mm bolts that connect the downpipe to the Turbo and about 2 miles from the dealership the car had no boost. The dealership looked at it and said the Turbo may have failed. My factory warranty ended last week but I had an extended premium warranty that is good for another 12 months and 20k miles.

I just had the cp-c street IC and charge pipes installed a couple of weeks ago and the dealership said Ford may not cover because it has been modified and i told them that is crazy. How does an IC and Charge pipes cause a Turbo to fail? The only mods on the car are MBRP cat=back and IC and pipes.

Thankfully I haven't flashed the ECU yet or added the downpipe or Airaid Modular Intake Tube.
It could be a boost leak. I blew the charge pipes on my setup and lost all boost. New charge pipes and she's back to making full boost.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a boost leak. I blew the charge pipes on my setup and lost all boost. New charge pipes and she's back to making full boost.
Yes, I asked them if they checked the IC pipes and they said they did. They said they confirmed the Turbo is not well.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes, I asked them if they checked the IC pipes and they said they did. They said they confirmed the Turbo is not well.
I'd say the intercooler is not likely to cause a turbo failure. I'd fight them on the warranty if it's void since a new turbo is not cheap.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Find a friend or a relative to stand underneath the hood, and over the engine, while you rev the car (or vice versa). If you feel a hot rush of air, you probably have a popped hose. Not likely that the turbo "failed", but not completely out of the question though. I'd like to imagine that you simply have a boost leak at a hose that wasn't clamped down well enough after the install. That is a much more common occurrence. Keep us posted with what you find.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Find a friend or a relative to stand underneath the hood, and over the engine, while you rev the car (or vice versa). If you feel a hot rush of air, you probably have a popped hose. Not likely that the turbo "failed", but not completely out of the question though. I'd like to imagine that you simply have a boost leak at a hose that wasn't clamped down well enough after the install. That is a much more common occurrence. Keep us posted with what you find.
The dealership already confirmed the Turbo is shot (at least that is what they told me) and they need to disassemble to get to the root cause.

Reactions: gatornek

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
The dealership already confirmed the Turbo is shot (at least that is what they told me) and they need to disassemble to get to the root cause.
Okay. But reading these boards for a long time....dealerships have been known to be wrong, or worse....mischievous. Not saying they are this time. But I'd definitely want to confirm for myself or with a second opinion before I let someone disassemble my engine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay. But reading these boards for a long time....dealerships have been known to be wrong, or worse....mischievous. Not saying they are this time. But I'd definitely want to confirm for myself or with a second opinion before I let someone disassemble my engine.
I've been around these forums for the past 5 years and been going to this dealership for 5 years for all service and they are the largest Roush dealership in the world and 3rd highest volume Mustang dealership in the country with a very good reputation. They may be wrong with the initial diagnosis but I trust them more than any other dealership or mechanic. They checked the Turbo and it wasn't working as expected.

Reactions: zhent and gatornek

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'd say the intercooler is not likely to cause a turbo failure. I'd fight them on the warranty if it's void since a new turbo is not cheap.
New turbos aren't that expensive an OEM replacement is less that $500 at most of the online Ford dealer parts stores. It's very easy to change so it shouldn't cost more than a couple of hours of labor.

BUT, typical turbo failure is a seal goes and it smokes like a third world factory smoke stack. If the bearing failed to the point that it couldn't spin you would have had lots of advanced notice.

As others have said look for a charge pipe that has come loose. The other thing that could have happened is the waste gate actuator arm has come off the waste gate. The waste gate is stuck open or the actuator is jammed and is holding the waste gate open. Anyone of the waste gate or actuator issues the dealer is going to sell you a new turbo but a local repair shop will fix it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they said it was the actuator that was not working properly. I just told them to figure it out and call me. I was on my way to pick up new turbo to midpipe nuts and it went limp 2 miles from the dealership.

I have the extended warranty so it should be covered.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If it is the vacuum actuator then that part should be cheap and easy to replace for them. If it the internal gate then the turbo will probably need to be replaced. Based on what you said they told you it is likely the wastegate is stuck open and creating a massive boost leak. Let's hope they fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If it is the vacuum actuator then that part should be cheap and easy to replace for them. If it the internal gate then the turbo will probably need to be replaced. Based on what you said they told you it is likely the wastegate is stuck open and creating a massive boost leak. Let's hope they fix it under warranty.
I am expecting a wastegate malfunction to be covered under the premium warranty I purchased to extend coverage to 6/60, I'm currently at 5 years almost to the day and 40k. I can't imagine the IC and charge pipes getting the blame for the failure and thankfully I have not flashed the ECU yet. I have a downpipe and Airaid tube on the way.

Has anyone had any problems with warranty coverage with a street IC and charge pipes? How about high flow catted downpipes or the Airaid tube?

·
Registered
259 Posts
On my way to the Ford dealership to pick up the 15 mm bolts that connect the downpipe to the Turbo and about 2 miles from the dealership the car had no boost.
Curious... What was wrong with the bolts you were replacing? Were they installed and torqued while driving to the dealership? Could driving with a bolt missing or loose affect anything?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Curious... What was wrong with the bolts you were replacing? Were they installed and torqued while driving to the dealership? Could driving with a bolt missing or loose affect anything?
A couple of years ago I hit a metal object on the road that punctured my trans pan, dented the downpipe and resonator so they were replaced by the Ford dealership. Oddly enough, I hit the object on the highway a couple of miles from my original Ford dealership.

When they replaced the downpipe they didn't torque the nuts properly so it was leaking. I took it back and had them tighten things up. At that time they must have rounded one of the nuts. I found out when I had my cat-back installed a couple months ago by the local shop. I asked the tech to check the nuts to make sure they were tight and he told me one of them was rounded and he could see that it was leaking at some point. I ordered a new downpipe and wanted new nutss to secure the downpipe.

So the actuator failed a couple of miles from the dealership I use for service and was picking up the bolts from. You can't make this **** up.

I was on my way to visit my Mom in Florida at 4am and didn't make it out of the county. Some hill billy lost his scrap metal bounty on the highway and I hit a metal debris field. I think I ran over a manifold. I hit the object right before the exit to the Ford dealership where I bought the car and is located a few hundred feet from where I took this pic.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Ford dealership called and confirmed the wastegate failed and a new Turbo will be installed under the extended warranty. Thankfully I had the extended warranty since my 5/60 powertrain warranty ended a week before the failure, literally. The Premium extended warranty was 710 with a 100 deductible for 6 years 60k miles. A new Turbo for 810.00 with a year left on the extended warranty as I only have about 40k miles currently. What a great purchase that was 2 years ago.

ESP Contract:PremiumCARE
$100 Deductible
6 years
60000 miles
Options:
First Day Rental: No(Deleted)
Enhanced Rental: No
Lighting: No(Deleted)
Key Services: No(Deleted)
Commercial: No
Snowplow: No
Price:$710

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Turbo oil line is back ordered so there is a 2 month wait from Ford. Thankfully the Ford dealership purchased the part from another Ford dealership and should be arriving today.

Reactions: Bill_B
1 - 16 of 16 Posts