Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0084.JPG

Tows mine and my gfs dirt bikes no problem.
Hitch is a curt 2000lbs capacity 200lbs tongue weight.
Trailer and both bikes is right at 900-950lbs and 125lbs of tongue weight and the car pulls it like a dream.
Pretty funny looks on peoples faces when they get passed by a mustang towing dirt bikes.

Reactions: BlackS550

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
View attachment 35618

Trailer and both bikes is right at 900-950lbs and 125lbs of tongue weight and the car pulls it like a dream.
Pretty funny looks on peoples faces when they get passed by a mustang towing dirt bikes.
I've thought about getting one of those tire trailers to tow some track tires for the occasional track day...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've thought about getting one of those tire trailers to tow some track tires for the occasional track day...
That's where I got the inspiration to do this, I saw a guy at a track day with a small trailer being pulled by his 5.0. He had the curt hitch and recommended it, install is a breeze and it fits the rear frame rails perfectly.

Was gonna buy a beater truck to keep riding after i sold my 2011 f150, but ended up going this route. I told my gf the mustang and our bikes aren't going anywhere so away the truck went.

·
Super Moderator
3,146 Posts
Like this?

@Squid has been doing this even longer than I have. And yeah I get the same looks from people, the Mustang towing the little trailer...

Reactions: BlackS550

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like this?

@Squid has been doing this even longer than I have. And yeah I get the same looks from people, the Mustang towing the little trailer...
Exactly the kind of setup I saw, I still can't get over the looks on peoples faces ?

Not to mention the hitch acts as a brace for the rear of the chassis! (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
View attachment 35618

How do you determine the rogue weight? I’ve never had a hitch on a car. I’m looking to do similar to your setup but for one motorcycle, a versys 650.

·
Registered
694 Posts
How do you determine the rogue weight? I’ve never had a hitch on a car. I’m looking to do similar to your setup but for one motorcycle, a versys 650.
Convention says to have 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Notice that @TurboTigger604's hitch is rated at 2000 lb capacity / 200 lb tongue weight.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Tongue weight is a function of where the center of gravity of the load is in relation to the trailer axle.
If the load center of gravity is behind the axle the tongue weight will be negative, that is, the tongue will point up when not attached to the hitch, you absolutely do not want this condition.
If the load center of gravity is in in front of the axle then you will have positive tongue weight which is what you want. You want to adjust the load so that the tongue weight does not exceed the tongue rating of the hitch.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts