Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

I'm having some strange issues

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  MWSletten 
#1 ·
I have an Automatic base EcoBoost 2017 with 34k miles. Lately, I've been hearing a clunking noise from under the car. I'm hearing it from the converter, but my mechanic says he hears it from the back of the car. So we are trying to figure out if it was the torque converter or diff. When I step on it, under heavy load, I hear a clanking noise, sometimes the car stutters and it feels like its not putting down the power. right now we will replace the fluid from the trans and diff, check them for metal, and see where we go from there.

I would appreciate some advice on how to test for the issue or what it could be, thanks!

#2 ·
I have an Automatic base EcoBoost 2017 with 34k miles. Lately, I've been hearing a clunking noise from under the car. I'm hearing it from the converter, but my mechanic says he hears it from the back of the car. So we are trying to figure out if it was the torque converter or diff. When I step on it, under heavy load, I hear a clanking noise, sometimes the car stutters and it feels like its not putting down the power. right now we will replace the fluid from the trans and diff, check them for metal, and see where we go from there.

I would appreciate some advice on how to test for the issue or what it could be, thanks!
Is it possible for you to put the clunking noise on video so we can hear it?

#3 ·
What kind of clunking is it? Can you try and record the audio from your phone? Maybe fold your rear seat down and try to reproduce, you should be able to tell for sure if it's coming from the rear then.

Also, might be a dumb question but does it happen when you're spinning your wheels, like wheel hop noise? Cause that's normal to have some hop from the factory, look up some s550 wheel hop videos on YouTube. If that's your problem there are a bunch of different parts you can either piece together separately or buy a complete "stop the hop" kit from a few companies like steeda, bmr etc. I did a combination of bmr and steeda components over time so I could utilize the bigger bmr jacking rails and "stop my hop" at the same time for less than the full steeda kit in total.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I'll try to get an audio recording today, it's not always reproducible as I figured out with my mechanic, but it's very audible when it does happen. And I don't think it's hop, the car doesn't put down enough power to hop in a straight line and its never had hop issues in the past. This issue started when I floored it to merged into traffic. I heard and felt the clunking noise as the car struggled to put down the power, stuttering when I tried to push it.

#4 ·
Could it be the auto?

#7 ·
That wasn't what I was thinking when you said 'clunking'. I'm going to take a guess and say "wheel bearing" maybe?? I think @TurboTigger604 replaced his at some point, so he could probably confirm if that's the noise it would make. I would lift the car and get underneath, and do a complete undercarriage and suspension inspection, with a flashlight. Something is askew.

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.