Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my manual Ecoboost for about half a year now and I’m confident in regular shifting so I thought I should give heel toe a shot. I got in the car and immediately realized that the accelerator was way further down compared to the brake. I’ve never noticed this and it feels impossible. Is this just part of the learning process or is it not possible on this car? Tips if so?

·
Registered
Mustang 2019 Magnetic EcoBoost™ PP1 Metallic Convertible with MagneRide® suspension
12 Posts
It's always possible to arrange/modify the pedals to make it simpler to Heel and Toe. Question at this point is, "What do you mean by 'heel-toe'?" The common method is to brake with the toe and roll the side of the foot onto the accelerator pedal. Typically, heel-toe is perfomed during hard braking, which reduces the height difference between pedals.

I drove one car where I actually toe-heeled, hanging the heel on the brake and toe-ing the gas. Eventually I bolted a shaped 3/4-inch block to the gas pedal and it worked fine. The science of heel-toe—or is it magic—is one that is learned, no doubt, but the progress of the process can be enhanced by physical accommodations. See if I can find a picture of something like my pedal mod.

Mine was not specially made (like this one for the MGB), but an addition to a "pedal extension" from Pep Boys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It can be an issue of small physical adjustments to the peddles but also practicing in a safe deserted space. It feels a little unnatural at first and varies from car to car; practice, practice, practice.;)

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang
10 Posts
It can be an issue of small physical adjustments to the peddles but also practicing in a safe deserted space. It feels a little unnatural at first and varies from car to car; practice, practice, practice.;)

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang
10 Posts
I have been driving manuals for a long time and I was feeling that the mustang pedals were not well situated for heel and toe. Steeda makes a wider pedal covering just for that. I have one but I have not put it on yet. I do not have the same problems on my 97 M3 or our '03 Boxster S. I measured the distances from the accelerator to the brake on all three cars. M3 52 mm, Boxster 53 mm , Mustang 63mm, approximately. So unless you have really wide foot it does take more effort. The Steeda pedal is about 19mm wider than the stock accelerator pedal. So it gets closer than I want, so I am going to cut it down by 9mm to get to a 52mm or so gap. I have 12C-D feet so I do not want to be closer than about 50 mm to avoid hitting the gas and brake at the same time inadvertently. The Steeda pedal is about $30 or little less and a nicely made unit complete with fasteners. You do have to drill your stock pedal. The internet says it is easier to remove the pedal then mount the cover. Happy shifting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts