Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at putting a camera in my car. I want something forward and rear facing, and possibly records the speed as well.

Any recommendations? Any personal use?

I have only been able to find ones facing forwards. I want something if I take it to a dealership for work, I can have proof of any malfeasance. I have heard too many horror stories.

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, looks like just what I want. Looks like I will have to order the gps antenna, but the whole package with card for under $200 is fairly cheap insurance.

·
Super Moderator
3,055 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on getting a full time dash cam after watching a lady get t-boned in front of me on my way to work a couple of months ago. I screwed up though and just got a cheapo cam thinking that it should be good enough to show what's going on.

Just over a week ago I had a weird traffic experience with the camera up in the car. I thought I was golden, but boy was I wrong.

Some random girl buzzed around me on the right and cut in front of me in busy traffic, treating her SUV like it was a sports car. She then opened her sunroof and proceeded to dance around in the car with her hand out the sunroof, in an apparent effort to gloat that she had gotten ahead of the guy in the Mustang. When I got to work, I pulled the camera inside and looked at the footage. It was terrible. I couldn't make out her plate, and could barely see her waving her hand out the roof of the car. When I got home, I pulled it up on my laptop and found that not only was the picture quality really low, but the audio was awful, and overall the image was dark. This was the first time I had pulled up actual footage so I looked through other clips, only to confirm that the cheap way was the wrong way. Most of my driving is at dusk or dawn, and almost nothing was visible.

Since I work nights I used some of the usual 3am downtime to do some research and pull the trigger on a better cam.

I bought this: Amazon.com: Garmin Dash Cam 55, 1440p 2.0" LCD Screen, Extremely Small GPS-Enabled Dash Camera with Voice Control, Loop Recording, G-Sensor and Driver Alerts, Includes Memory Card: Cell Phones & Accessories

The video and audio quality is great, and low light operation is excellent. It's got a bunch of features that I've turned off, but I do like the idea of being able to take photos on the fly by voice command. I ran the power cable along the top of the windshield and down to the lighter socket.

I'll still use go-pros for track and autocross days to get more angles, but this is a good solution for the daily liability issues.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on getting a full time dash cam after watching a lady get t-boned in front of me on my way to work a couple of months ago. I screwed up though and just got a cheapo cam thinking that it should be good enough to show what's going on.

Just over a week ago I had a weird traffic experience with the camera up in the car. I thought I was golden, but boy was I wrong.

Some random girl buzzed around me on the right and cut in front of me in busy traffic, treating her SUV like it was a sports car. She then opened her sunroof and proceeded to dance around in the car with her hand out the sunroof, in an apparent effort to gloat that she had gotten ahead of the guy in the Mustang. When I got to work, I pulled the camera inside and looked at the footage. It was terrible. I couldn't make out her plate, and could barely see her waving her hand out the roof of the car. When I got home, I pulled it up on my laptop and found that not only was the picture quality really low, but the audio was awful, and overall the image was dark. This was the first time I had pulled up actual footage so I looked through other clips, only to confirm that the cheap way was the wrong way. Most of my driving is at dusk or dawn, and almost nothing was visible.

Since I work nights I used some of the usual 3am downtime to do some research and pull the trigger on a better cam.

I bought this: Amazon.com: Garmin Dash Cam 55, 1440p 2.0" LCD Screen, Extremely Small GPS-Enabled Dash Camera with Voice Control, Loop Recording, G-Sensor and Driver Alerts, Includes Memory Card: Cell Phones & Accessories

The video and audio quality is great, and low light operation is excellent. It's got a bunch of features that I've turned off, but I do like the idea of being able to take photos on the fly by voice command. I ran the power cable along the top of the windshield and down to the lighter socket.

I'll still use go-pros for track and autocross days to get more angles, but this is a good solution for the daily liability issues.
Now to properly test it, you need to find that girl with the SUV again... Ask for a redo :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Here is a photo of my dash cam I have installed which is mounted to the blacked out area on the top of the windscreen and positioned behind the rear vision mirror.
This makes it virtually hidden from sight when looking from outside the front of the car.
Making it more stealth for would-be thieves of opportunity to see. :)

This dash cam includes all the needed features;

- Built-in GPS tracking of location and speed
- 152 degree wide angle lens
- Wi-Fi connection to phone
- Super capacitor battery technology withstanding cabin temps to 70 degrees Celsius in summer
- Take a photo by simply waving your hand under the unit
- Full 1080P video
- Send video captured via Wi-Fi to your IOS or Android phone and use Google maps to see moving GPS location.
- Control the Dash Cam and change settings from your phone
- Live output on phone screen
- Built in G sensor

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just installed the same camera this weekend. Its a DSH 680 Dash mate here.

·
Registered
Mustang 2019 Magnetic EcoBoost™ PP1 Metallic Convertible with MagneRide® suspension
12 Posts
This is the most recent "Dash cam" thread I could find. I hope it's OK to ask a (perhaps) silly question: I had a good front-and-rear 2-channel camera in my recently-traded coupe. I have another ready to install in my recently-acquired convertible. Question is, has anyone actually done the Separate Rear Camera thing with a Mustang S550 convertible? I mean, imagine as I might, no useful location or procedure occurs to me. The only economical thing I see as a possibility is to make the second channel a Look-at-the-driver-at-work camera, a la NASCAR.

Any experiences or suggestions?

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is the most recent "Dash cam" thread I could find. I hope it's OK to ask a (perhaps) silly question: I had a good front-and-rear 2-channel camera in my recently-traded coupe. I have another ready to install in my recently-acquired convertible. Question is, has anyone actually done the Separate Rear Camera thing with a Mustang S550 convertible? I mean, imagine as I might, no useful location or procedure occurs to me. The only economical thing I see as a possibility is to make the second channel a Look-at-the-driver-at-work camera, a la NASCAR.

Any experiences or suggestions?
I have been periodically mulling this over but have not yet come up with a solution. I have considered making a mount to attach somewhere to the sheet metal behind the rear seat cushion in the middle, however it would likely have to curve forward over the seat back as you would need clearance when lowering the top. I also carry passengers occasionally back there so there is a safety consideration as well. The other option would be to simply mount the rear camera up front, which would limit what it sees with the top up but I suppose it would be better than nothing. As you suggest, there is the Uber type camera but that would likely not be any better than mounting a rear camera up front but would be a single package. I have seen exterior mounted cameras but they are expensive and would be prone to vandalism. It’s to bad we can’t tap into the back up camera as its field of view is actually pretty good.

·
Registered
Mustang 2019 Magnetic EcoBoost™ PP1 Metallic Convertible with MagneRide® suspension
12 Posts
Hello, John. Thank you for your thoughts. I don't suppose there is any chance of Ford Engineering getting into the act. If they were to do so, what would they come up with? Your point about the backup camera is intriguing: Some electronics genius might be able to integrate the two functions? Another possibility could be a separate external module near the trunk-mounted antenna lump, something with a clear lens facing to the rear. ("wings" and "spoilers" might be a problem) I'm picturing a vaguely-remembered VW Beetle parking/turn lamp, or a streamlined light as used on top of tractor cabs. Vandalism might be a problem wherever the camera is mounted, but I'd be willing to connect a detachable camera pod to a weatherproof outlet every time I wanted to have the rear-camera function active.

Any road, imaginings are inexpensive these days. Not much choice, mounting-wise, at this point. Perhaps another denizen of mustangecoboost.net will offer a magic solution. I might try mustang6g.com, as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts