Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys, i have finally bought my childhood dream car 2017 Mustang ecoboost premium. Even though i like the engine sound, i want to make it louder in a nice way (not noisy) , like when i start up the car or when i speed up. I want to have a really nice sport engine sound not loud. As I’m not really an expert, i have been reading about exhaust, intake..etc. so what do you guys recomment for a nice and affordable ones ?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You can't really increase the sound of the Ecoboost engine itself, and the sound you do hear is 'piped' in artificially through the audio speakers anyway.
(Even the GT's pipe the sound into the cabin, but use a sound tube from the intake to the firewall).

You can however increase;

1. The exhaust note - By fitting a catback, turboback or axle-back aftermarket exhaust system.

2. Increase the air intake 'sucking' sound - By fitting a Cold Air Intake like a Roush, JLT, Airaid, etc.

3. Vent the Blow off Valve (BOV) to atmosphere for the 'peeeesh' sound as you come off boost - Either by disconnecting the outlet rubber hose on the BOV and capping the hose inlet on the intake, or installing a vacuumed operated aftermarket BOV, such as a Turbosmart one. (The stock BOV is electronic).

You could get a little more engine sound in the cabin, but only slightly, by removing the insulated noise absorbing pad under the hood.

·
Administrator
6,616 Posts
Reactions: ZStang

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have heard good things about the MBRP Race and Street. I heard the street has less drone which is what I will probably go with. You can find audio clips on Youtube.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
No I didnt, this was the first exhaust I got. I may keep the downpipe and go to a Ford Performance this spring.
I like the sound of the MBRP from what I can tell on youtube. Some of the other ones are a bit to high pitched for my ears. How do you like the tone of the MBRP?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like it as well, it is deeper than most and doesnt sound like a typical "tuner" 4cyl; its just very loud and whereas before I put it on my wife enjoyed a 10 hour round trip ride made in the car in one day, now she hates even a half-hour in it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would've preferred the black tips, but they are usually about $200 more (I guess less stock available). I got the FP chrome tip catback for $675 on eBay.

https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/black-knight-gatornek-build.17821/#post-185819
I went with black tips on mine.
My car is PP in Lightning blue so it came with black wheels and black interior.
The chrome on the car looks out of place so I did black tips and then replaced the chrome ponies with black ones too.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Did you ever try the street? I heard it was the same tone but less drone
I have the MBRP street catback. It's louder than the stock exhaust, but not loud enough to be a problem on 6 hour road trips. Definitely a more pleasing sound than stock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is what I am thinking of getting. I assume you have minimal drone and like the deeper tone?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have the race as well. It drones a little, nothing terrible though in my mind. Little loud on startup but calms down when the engine revs down. I went back and forth a while but got the race. Was afraid the street wouldn't be loud enough for my taste. Just my thought - I have never heard the street in person so I don't know what that's like. Comes down to preference I think. If you want aggressive, go race. If you want mild, go street.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have the MBRP street and no drone but good sound on acceleration. It's on my build thread also.

Reactions: Go Further

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a full MAP exhaust without resonators. It is pretty quiet when you aren't getting on it. But it is pvery loud when you get on it. Especially the higher the RPM's go. No drone on the highway however. At least not at the speeds I drive at 70 to 75. ....except for that last road trip to Atlanta. I was cracking triple digits for a while. :)

Reactions: ZStang

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought the Resonator Delete (MRT Engineered Performance #90M100) may be a good start. I plan to add the
Ford Performance by K&N Drop-In Replacement Air Filter (American Muscle #M-9601-M) and see how it sounds. Could add axle back mufflers if the sound is too tame.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts