Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Roush CAI and now I see my inlet air temp rising more then what it was stock. At one point my inlet air temp was 120. Is this normal or is something wrong?

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
527 Posts
I just installed the Roush CAI and now I see my inlet air temp rising more then what it was stock. At one point my inlet air temp was 120. Is this normal or is something wrong?
Even though the roush has a lid it is not a sealed off intake like stock, where the intake tube goes through the intake box there is a gap around the entire circumference allowing hot under hood air to get sucked into the filter, especially sitting at a light. So yes it will be normal to see higher IAT with that $450 intake.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yep. When I installed my FP tune, it came with the GT350 unsealed bucket. And I noticed the exact same thing. Summertime, while at a red light, I’d literally see IAT climb as much as twenty degrees!! I ended up getting the Airaid CAI with a Velossa Tech adapter and IATs have never been better.

It was a marked improvement.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yep. When I installed my FP tune, it came with the GT350 unsealed bucket. And I noticed the exact same thing. Summertime, while at a red light, I’d literally see IAT climb as much as twenty degrees!! I ended up getting the Airaid CAI with a Velossa Tech adapter and IATs have never been better.

It was a marked improvement.
What is the Velossa Tech adapter.

Never mind I found it. So do you feel it makes an improvement over the factory inlet duct that has the rubber partition and similar design. AFE makes one also for about half the price. Your thoughts.

BD

·
Registered
527 Posts
What is the Velossa Tech adapter.

BD
It's an attachment that hooks up to the stock intake inlet, you have to take off the bumper but the end of the stack ends up flush with the grill allowing nothing but ambient into the intake. AFE makes them also and a whole lot cheaper. Red black and blue are the colors for the AFE one and the veloc comes in custom colors.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My 2020 has the rubber ducting that essentially directs the air into airbox exactly the same way so don't see where this would be of any great benefit over what is there from factory. Plus, I dremeled out 90% of the closed off diamonds in the left side of my grill to allow even more air flow into the airbox.
Compare the pics of left side versus the right side.

BD

Car Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Car Grille Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
527 Posts
My 2020 has the rubber ducting that essentially directs the air into airbox exactly the same way so don't see where this would be of any great benefit over what is there from factory. Plus, I dremeled out 90% of the closed off diamonds in the left side of my grill to allow even more air flow into the airbox.
Compare the pics of left side versus the right side.

BD

View attachment 42650 View attachment 42651 View attachment 42652
There is a gap between the stock intake inlet and the bumper, this is an extension of the stock inlet tube which puts this up against the stock grill eliminating the gap. I don't have one because when cruising down the freeway my ambient and IAT is the same. I run the RTR grill which is 100% open on both sides for max airflow to intake and Radiator.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party, but correct on all counts. The Velossa tech adapter I use basically seals my CAI duct all the way to the nose of the grill. I even bored out the hexes on the grill to make sure its all nice and 'flowey'.

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Never mind I found it. So do you feel it makes an improvement over the factory inlet duct that has the rubber partition and similar design. AFE makes one also for about half the price. Your thoughts.

BD
What spurred me to get it was having the open element CAI, seeing the IAT problem, and throwing as much ammunition at it at one time (purchased airaid and VT). I'm not 100% sure of the dynamic between the duct and the grill on the 2018+, but on my 2016, there was plenty of space for hot engine and radiator 'backwash' to get sucked up in there. Living in Miami, I wanted every advantage possible to keep charge temps down, as that's they true key to unlocking this engine's performance capabilities. I will agree that the price is super high for what it is. Get the AFE if you can save a buck.

Velossa Ram Air Tech

·
Registered
647 Posts
On my 2020 the inlet ducting is only 1/2" behind the grill all the way around the left outer radius and has a rubber flap that partitions the intake inlet off from the radiator/shutters airflow so there is only about a 2" area that could possibly allow any engine hot air to migrate into the intake ducting. I can see at very slow speeds/stopped some engine compartment heat being sucked into the intake but at anything over 10/15 mph the heat would be blown back into engine compartment area. Plus 18+ have hood vents at the front corners of the hoods that do actually vent hot air from under the hood at speed.

I was going to install the AFE duct when I put my IC in, but they were out of stock which is why I opened up the hexes in my grill like gatornek did as well. If I do install bullitt style grills in the future I will add the AFE ducting.

Just an FYI about the effect of ram air flow into the intake and engine. Studies in wind tunnel testing on motorcycles have shown that to achieve just 5% gains from ram air the vehicle must be moving at a speed of 160 mph. So, the speeds we drive at on public roads has no effects or gains in terms of performance from ram air flow into the intake ducting.

Motorcycle Ram Air | Cycle World

BD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts