Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I can’t help but think I missed something... just installed the air raid modular intake tube on my ‘19 Ecoboost and promptly started up the car expecting to hear loud turbo blow off noises (you know...like In the YouTube videos)...but it seems almost the same.. is it not tight enough, is there an air leak. I drove it around and couldn’t tell much a difference in sound. I know it’s a bit childish of a problem but I like loud noises especially when a turbo is involved.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Alright I can’t help but think I missed something... just installed the air raid modular intake tube on my ‘19 Ecoboost and promptly started up the car expecting to hear loud turbo blow off noises (you know...like In the YouTube videos)...but it seems almost the same.. is it not tight enough, is there an air leak. I drove it around and couldn’t tell much a difference in sound. I know it’s a bit childish of a problem but I like loud noises especially when a turbo is involved.
You won't get that classic bov sound unless you install a vent to atmosphere bov. The factory one is a recirculating bypass valve and recirculates the exccesive boost pressure back into the intake. Here are some clips of mine with a turbosnart BOV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't get that classic bov sound unless you install a vent to atmosphere bov. The factory one is a recirculating bypass valve and recirculates the exccesive boost pressure back into the intake. Here are some clips of mine with a turbosnart BOV.
Alright, so follow up question. You know when people put full cold air intake systems on these cars, the blow off is much more noticeable.. I guess this is because the aftermarket air boxes by pass the intake resonators; is there a way to get rid of those?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Alright, so follow up question. You know when people put full cold air intake systems on these cars, the blow off is much more noticeable.. I guess this is because the aftermarket air boxes by pass the intake resonators; is there a way to get rid of those?
Ah! That sound can be achieved with an open element air box. You'll get more of a sucking noise then anything. There is.a mod of sorts you can do to the factory bypass valve by disconnecting one of the pcv lines to the intake tube. That will give you the turbo blow off sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah! That sound can be achieved with an open element air box. You'll get more of a sucking noise then anything. There is.a mod of sorts you can do to the factory bypass valve by disconnecting one of the pcv lines to the intake tube. That will give you the turbo blow off sound.
Hmm, okay, I’ll look into it a bit more and come back when I’m a little more knowledgeable. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, okay, I’ll look into it a bit more and come back when I’m a little more knowledgeable. Thanks a ton!
Alright.. so, the c&l bypass adapter, not sure I won’t to run that because a lot of people complain about a whistle on the highway, I feel like that would drive me crazy. Plus a bov seems like a pretty sketchy install...not sure I wanna cut into tubes and risk breaking something.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Alright.. so, the c&l bypass adapter, not sure I won’t to run that because a lot of people complain about a whistle on the highway, I feel like that would drive me crazy. Plus a bov seems like a pretty sketchy install...not sure I wanna cut into tubes and risk breaking something.
Turbosnart sells an updated one that plugs into the factory bypass valve connector.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
118 Posts
Trimmed ~1/4" off the turbo end of my Airaid tube, as well as the end of the coupling that mates with the turbo inlet. Reason being I had some real clearance issue between the tube and my BPV white wire connector. Once I installed the GFB DV, I knew I'd need the slightly less than 1/2" extra space made by the trimming. Still ended up with the BPV wire connector touching the Airaid. Just not nearly as bad as before. AEM has a set of charge pipes I'm thinking about that moves the BPV to a better location. Removed the hose from the BPV to the Airaid, allowing it to VTA. Plugged the hose connection on the Airaid with a rubber chair leg foot. Bought a pack of 4 at Ace for under $5. Used another chair leg foot with some clear silicone on the opening of the airbox snorkel after snapping of the resonator :cool:(y)

IMG_20200503_103759160.jpg
IMG_20200503_110305656.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trimmed ~1/4" off the turbo end of my Airaid tube, as well as the end of the coupling that mates with the turbo inlet. Reason being I had some real clearance issue between the tube and my BPV white wire connector. Once I installed the GFB DV, I knew I'd need the slightly less than 1/2" extra space made by the trimming. Still ended up with the BPV wire connector touching the Airaid. Just not nearly as bad as before. AEM has a set of charge pipes I'm thinking about that moves the BPV to a better location. Removed the hose from the BPV to the Airaid, allowing it to VTA. Plugged the hose connection on the Airaid with a rubber chair leg foot. Bought a pack of 4 at Ace for under $5. Used another chair leg foot with some clear silicone on the opening of the airbox snorkel after snapping of the resonator :cool:(y)

View attachment 36309 View attachment 36310
Did snapping off that resonator make a difference? I saw that today and it looks really weird and out of place..

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
118 Posts
Did snapping off that resonator make a difference? I saw that today and it looks really weird and out of place..
Nah, not really any difference, but figured it was worth a try. Biggest difference came after removing the grill shutters, as the shroud blocks off the area adjacent to the snorkel behind the grill. Drilling out nearly all the dimples in this faux grill section made a difference too! Took a while, since there are likely a couple hundred to do the entire area, but patience was key;) 2018 & up have a different upper/lower grill design though, right?

IMG_20200208_140814395.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
If your turn the air cleaner lid upside down your carburetor will make loud sucking noises and your secondaries will really make lots of sucking noise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow. that's a resonator on the airbox? i figured it was just a weird handle to facilitate removing the airbox since seemingly every time im under the hood that box comes out to see or move around better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Reading "Air Raid" always gives me a laugh. It sounds so aggressive... I'm gonna install this Air Raid product and prepare my car to attack! But... It's actually a little more benign - "Air Aid" (actually all one word, AIRAID).

And then there's Pet Smart, or is it Pets Mart? :p

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reading "Air Raid" always gives me a laugh. It sounds so aggressive... I'm gonna install this Air Raid product and prepare my car to attack! But... It's actually a little more benign - "Air Aid" (actually all one word, AIRAID).
Yep. when i was first reading/studying everyones mods/upgrades, I would see 'Airaid' and think "aww yeah, i gotta have that!" i would instinctively type "Airraid" and my searches were seemingly incomplete. realized it was just one 'R', like you said, an Air Aid and suddenly i was more "it's cool, maybe someday"

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It's an "air aide" or air-aid. I never thought of it otherwise. That whole insertion of a second "r" to me has always seemed weird. Never wanted to come off like a jerk when they misspell. But the connotation was never to be like an impending bomb attack, but just a way to get one of the 3 critical elements of combustion more efficiently into the combustion chamber. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
181 Posts
New intake, especially cold air intake will increase sucking sounds during wide open throttle. (Sounds good imo)
Upgraded DV/BOV, will give you the PSSSHH sounds. Multiple options but most of the louder ones vent to atmosphere
Downpipe/exhaust will increase turbo spool sounds, the whirring of the turbo (I love that sound)

installing a new DV/BOV is like replacing a light bulb man....you can do it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! The only way to get that turbo blowoff sound is to disconnect the small diameter hose on the airaid intake tube and hook up a blowoff valve to let the air blow into the atmosphere. Look up how to install a blowoff valve to see how!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts