Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting an intercooler for my 2018 Ecoboost Performance and I am curious to see what some of yall are running and what you think I should run. I have been thinking about a CVF intercooler because I am on a bit of a budget and I heard its one of the best bang for your buck intercoolers. I am also curious, if I were to get a CVF intercooler would I need to replace the OEM charge pipes or will the CVF work fine with them? I am thinking of going no further than stage 2 and am probably going to daily stage 1.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I heard its one of the best bang for your buck intercoolers
It is.

When IC's were MUCH cheaper, back in 2017,18 and 19 ... I would've given you the green light to splurge on a brand name. But for the most part an IC is an IC, and while there are many people here who have gone the eBay knockoff route with success, I'd still advise to go with a proven commodity and @CVF has been a long time on this forum doing just that. FWIW, I have run both a MAPerformance IC, and then I upgraded to a "racing style" CPE. But if I had to buy one right now...it'd be CVF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is.

When IC's were MUCH cheaper, back in 2017,18 and 19 ... I would've given you the green light to splurge on a brand name. But for the most part an IC is an IC, and while there are many people here who have gone the eBay knockoff route with success, I'd still advise to go with a proven commodity and @CVF has been a long time on this forum doing just that. FWIW, I have run both a MAPerformance IC, and then I upgraded to a "racing style" CPE. But if I had to buy one right now...it'd be CVF
I definitely will spend the extra money to go a step further and get something high quality so yeah I think I will go with CVF thank you!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you are planning to keep the stock charge pipes, then you will be limited to the CVF street IC since it has the same 2.5" diameter connection as the stock IC hoses. The CVF race IC has 2.750" inch diameter pipe connections so the stock hoses will be about impossible to get over the race IC pipe ends.

I have a CVF street IC on my eco and its works very well and a very good price point.

BD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are planning to keep the stock charge pipes, then you will be limited to the CVF street IC since it has the same 2.5" diameter connection as the stock IC hoses. The CVF race IC has 2.750" inch diameter pipe connections so the stock hoses will be about impossible to get over the race IC pipe ends.

I have a CVF street IC on my eco and its works very well and a very good price point.

BD
Perfect, thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Mustang Ecoboost, 6-speed manual, premium
87 Posts
If you want to go real cheap, you can get one of the eBay intercoolers that is close to the moshimoto design. I'm running one and the clearance was a little tight but I got it in with a second pair of hands. Definitely an upgrade over stock.

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Mustang {shadow black}
6 Posts
Just installed a CVF street on my 2020 this past Saturday. For under $400 and the fact that I’ve never heard of a complaint about any CVF Intercooler, I can’t think of a reason not to recommend one. It makes a huge difference in charge temps and noticeably increases throttle response and boost duration. From what I gather regarding usage as a daily driver and no plans on all day track use or drag racing, it’s as good as advertised.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Probably, most any intercooler is better than the stock one, but some are definitely better than others. Plenty of people seem happy with the CVF intercoolers, but I've never seen any independent, objective testing of them.
I bought my CPE street intercooler in 2018, before CVF started making intercoolers. I went with the CPE because I found independent testing on it, and it did very well. Also, Adam at Tune+ had tuned a few cars with it, and at the time, he thought it was the best street intercooler available. Also, he had a low opinion of the Mishimoto intercooler. I've been very happy with the CPE. The stock intercooler would heat soak after one 0-60 pass, in moderate temperatures. With the CPE,
I can do a half dozen 0-60 passes, with no loss of power.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I can get the same half dozen pulls with my CVF IC as well so likely close to the same performance ability to keep the charge temps down.

BD

Reactions: jdsfly

·
Registered
444 Posts
Also, I thought about going with a big intercooler, but I didn't want to add any more weight to the nose of the car than necessary. After researching the CPE street intercooler, it looked more than adequate, and it has been.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Also, I thought about going with a big intercooler, but I didn't want to add any more weight to the nose of the car than necessary. After researching the CPE street intercooler, it looked more than adequate, and it has been.
I have read of some having overhearing issue with the race IC also when used in track/autocross duty due blocking air flow thru the radiator so since I don't track my car other than some run what you brung drag racing on Friday nights I saw no need for the bigger IC.

BD

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have read of some having overhearing issue with the race IC also when used in track/autocross duty due blocking air flow thru the radiator so since I don't track my car other than some run what you brung drag racing on Friday nights I saw no need for the bigger IC.

BD
Same here, No autocross or road racing, but I do go to the local dragstrip occasionally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts