Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the intercooler. How does one go about deciding which one to buy? I've been looking for a guid e on these things and I can't seem to find anything out there except from the different vendors. I was thinking about getting a "Tunes +" tune and it says that I need to upgrade my intercooler. I was already planning on doing this but not sure if I want a Mishimoto, SpeedFactory, or an ETS. Is there a limit to my upgrade or is it whatever I decide I like. Any information would seem to help. Thanks!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Lots of options out there. For my part I did the Mishimoto Intercooler/Charge Pipe combo. Strictly from a cost perspective as at $800 for charge pipes and the intercooler together; it was too hard for me to pass on.

Reactions: Mr.Smith and ZStang

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I saw your post on that. You have a lot of mods! I have no clue what most of them are at the moment. Then again, I said the same thing about Victory Motorcycles. I remember logging into the forum and terms would jump out at me and I had no clue what I was reading. Now I can explain a lot of it. My brother and I were talking about modding his pickup last night. He had no clue what a CAI was until I explained it to him. Then again, it doesn't matter the platform, car, truck, or motorcycle, CAI does the same thing and depending on how much you change it from stock, you may need to change your fuel mapping.

So charge side is the "hot" side of it? Is that the side that needs modded on our particular cars?

·
Registered
634 Posts
The hot side charge is the one leading to the intercooler and the cold side is the one leading away. Depending on brand, you also have the option of relocating the blow off valve from the hot to the cold side. My take has always been that at a certain point splitting hairs on performance for a street car isn't really worth pursuit. Stick to big picture and you generally are happier and have more funds left in your wallet. The theory behind the charge pipes is more efficient air flow. So you are really better doing both sides IMHO.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to try to remember all of this. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
When it comes to intercoolers for the Ecoboost Mustang there are only two real choices;

Ones that fit in the stock location and are a straight bolt in. These improve cooling over stock by having denser cores with more tubes & fins and will have slightly larger outside dimensions.

Then the larger ones that may or may not be a straight bolt in. These will extend up behind the bumper bar in front of the ac condenser & radiator and will require the removal of the shutters. Because of the much larger volume they will increase turbo lag.

With the stock location units the difference between brands is going to be relatively small and likely won't be noticed by the butt dyno. The large ones are can have a larger variation because they have stepped outside the confines of fitting the stock location.

You really need to have a plan for where you want to go with your modifications and that will ultimately point you to the right choice. Just throwing parts at the car will result in a lot of money being spent that does not necessarily result in improvement.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my car for practical reasons and for cruising reasons. When I had my motorcycle, I bought it on 31 July, 2016 and was nearly killed on it 31 December, 2016. The time I had it, I put 30,000 miles on the odometer! I would get off work and just ride until I felt at peace with myself and the world. I had no place to be or destination chosen, I just rode! I was doing my cosmetic mods to the bike first. I was going to start the power mods after Christmas (this past Christmas). I did do a simple power mod early on, but it is one of those mods that it should already be mandatory to do if you keep the bike. I guess changing the Timing wheel out to a Lloydz ATS would be like changing the spark plugs on your Ecoboost. The spark plugs are cheaper though! LOL Basically all one is doing is getting rid of the CARB crap! I don't live in California and this $140 part basically tunes the bike to what it would be if CARB was not involved.

I want a car that I can just cruise the crap out of, but if I want to unleash the ponies under the hood, I should be able to. I don't want to run my car on a track but I do want to feel it get up and go when I mash that accelerator! The first thing I want to do upon getting out of the hospital and back to work, I want to change out my plugs for the NGK LTR7IX-11 (6510)s. Then I want to install the Airaid MXP Series CAI. I like the way it looks and I've even heard good things about it from a guy at work. I do want to get a tune done and do not know much about them so I started researching 2015+ 2.3L Ecoboost Turbo Mustang E-tune Package (Unlimited + Upgrade) and that is when I found out that I need to upgrade my intercooler (was already considering it). I know nothing aboug turbos and intercoolers. I like what I have been reading so far but I wanted to find a great source so that someone that is new to modding (me) can get educated on things.

As far as an oil separator, is that needed? I read that if you want to start swapping exhaust you may cause a smoking problem, so that separator may be needed. I don't know that I want to mess with exhaust anyway. I don't like Japanese car sounding tin cans (sorry if I pissed someone off but I'm paying for this). It wasn't that big of a deal to me or I would have just flat out bought a fancy GT (GT 500?). I had the money, I just didn't want to sacrifice gas mileage for noise. I was talking to a person on here and they were telling me they have two tunes they go to. One is the one for good gas mileage and the other is for when they want be able to go when they mash the accelerator.

I guess that is where I am going with this. I hope this helps clear up what I'm looking for. Thanks for your time.

Reactions: ZStang

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Sounds like a tune and stock location intercooler will give you what you are looking for.

The oil catch can is always a good idea, it will reduce the amount of oil residue that is recycled back into the combustion chamber. You don't get the cleaning effect of fuel passing over the valves with a DI engine so reducing the oil will reduce the build up that can eventually effect performance. Also, oil in the combustion chamber reduces the octane of the mixture, minimizing oil could get you a pony or two.

I have been driving turbo cars as daily drivers since 1985, they have all been tuned and overall the fuel mileage has been the same or better than when stock. Your biggest impact to mileage is resisting putting your foot in it more.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like an oil catch can is in order as well.

Reactions: Mr.Smith

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, one of the very first mods I made. No power added, but the peace of mind in not having oil in the intake is worth the price of admission. I pull about 2 tablespoons out of the can every 1000 miles. Oil that is not going on my intake valves or into the combustion chamber.

edit Spelling

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sounds like an oil catch can is in order as well.
This is the Mishimoto Catch can. High Quality piece and no smoke from the exhaust. I have an Airaid CAI, COBB Accessport ($500) running the 93 Stage 1 Tune. The Accessport is required to get tuned by Tune + and many others. I am going the same route you are as far as mods go. Similar goals as far as driveability and economy. I average 32 MPG combined driving with the tune and I do like to play. The COBB accessport allows you to have 5 Tunes preloaded in your car that you can select on the fly.

Future mods: Mishimoto Intercooler, Exhaust (no Fartcan ricer sound), Downpipe and Maybe later a Methanol Injection system from Snow performance. Tune + lifetime tunes so I can Tune as I mod each step.
IMG_6812 (3)_LI.jpg

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What fun is a Mustang if you can't play? It's just the nature of the beast! I didn't want a car that I could "just drive", I wanted a car that I could modify and make it mine. This is one of those cars that is like that. So yes, Cobb is going to be coming into play. Thank you for the information!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Others have given you some sound info and advice Maddog. My car is a daily driver, but I wanted some more power too. I went with the MAPerformance Street intercooler (stock location), Cobb Accessport with a Tune+ Tune, Stainlessworks catback exhaust, and a UPR Dual Valve Catch Can. Very happy with the added power and sound of the car!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys have given me something to go by. I sill have a lot to learn, but a lot of that will come with trial and error. I appreciate all of the input. I don't feel so stupid now. Thanks again!

·
Registered
858 Posts
You guys have given me something to go by. I sill have a lot to learn, but a lot of that will come with trial and error. I appreciate all of the input. I don't feel so stupid now. Thanks again!
I always tell everyone on here, "it's your car do what you want!". We all have different goals in mind. Some want a track car that needs many upgrades to handle the punishment. Some want to be a drag strip burner, so high HP and Torque are needed. Then there are those that want better than GT performance with 30+ MPG and daily the cars. So, to each their own!

The great thing about this forum is you can get information on all of those variations!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, yeah, the person that is posting is usually the owner of the car. Besides, doesn't one usually have to sacrifice one for the other? I don't know if I should bring this up, but I was reading another topic tonight that the OP was blasting Ford and tuners because he wasn't getting 500 HP on his EB. WTF?? It's a 2.3L Turbo...why buy one if you want V8 numbers??

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Well, yeah, the person that is posting is usually the owner of the car. Besides, doesn't one usually have to sacrifice one for the other? I don't know if I should bring this up, but I was reading another topic tonight that the OP was blasting Ford and tuners because he wasn't getting 500 HP on his EB. WTF?? It's a 2.3L Turbo...why buy one if you want V8 numbers??
Yeah, that guy. Ignore him. He caused some issues here and ended up banned. We don't pull the trigger on that lightly, but in this case it was warranted.

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@zhent .....I found him rather annoying until he started blasting other forum members. Not only did he fail to get any sort of point across, but he lost credibility and what he was trying to achieve was unreasonable. If he can prove that his claims are not, he would be making some money doing mods on other cars! LOL

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
On the original topic...

I spent a lot of time researching before I pulled the trigger on my CP-e intercooler. As my car is a daily driver seeing occasional track and autocross duty, I didn't want to go so far as to induce excess turbo lag, especially as I have no plans to go big turbo any time soon. I also wanted to balance a good size in the stock location with price and quality. There are a ton of options that fall in there. We're all happy to tell you what our experiences have been with our choice to help you decide and we'll appreciate your build for YOURS when you decide and make the change.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you change out any if the tubing? If so, what did you go with?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts