Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading a lot about inetrcoolers on the forums and have a question. What would I (the car actually) see performance wise by installing a larger intercooler? Not an intercooler and a tune, or catback. or anything else? Just a larger intercooler?

Don

·
Registered
876 Posts
So I have been reading a lot about inetrcoolers on the forums and have a question. What would I (the car actually) see performance wise by installing a larger intercooler? Not an intercooler and a tune, or catback. or anything else? Just a larger intercooler?

Don
You'll primarily see lower charge temps and less heatsoak if you run the car hard on the track, especially on a hot day.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I did exactly that. I had purchased an after market intercooler for my 15 Ecoboost but the car was totaled before i could install it. Do the first mod to my 17 was to install the intercooler. I realized a noticeable increase in power over 5500 rpm.

Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
So I have been reading a lot about inetrcoolers on the forums What .. performance wise by installing a larger intercooler?
i know the feeling...i can say from the layman's pov. i became convinced the aftermarket Street-size IC would benefit me and made the purchase...when i saw the stock IC next to new CVF street on the front lawn, i felt a little embarrassed for Ford...and i just knew, inherently, that i did the right thing, even tho i still didn't fully understand or couldn't explain why.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did exactly that. I had purchased an after market intercooler for my 15 Ecoboost but the car was totaled before i could install it. Do the first mod to my 17 was to install the intercooler. I realized a noticeable increase in power over 5500 rpm.

Dave
So 0-5500 RPM was unchanged with a larger IC?

Don

·
Registered
158 Posts
It shouldn’t increase power, Itl keep the power always there. A stock pull will feel same as a aftermarket pull,

but if they do another pull immediately, the stock will start to gimp power.
The aftermarket should pull, pull and pull again.

I could see a benefit though power wise in hot climates for DD. Lower charge temps all around, while stock would be cooked just driving not even being aspirated

I have Cpe fmic and I am glad I did. All the pulls always feel lively, vs one nice pull then instant slug

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It shouldn’t increase power, Itl keep the power always there. A stock pull will feel same as a aftermarket pull,
That is what i always thought but any intercooler upgrade i have done in the past was always with a tune until my 17.

My 17 was the first time i installed an aftermarket intercooler on an otherwise bone stock car. Whether it was more favorable charge temps or increased flow it definitely had increased power on the first pull and every one after that in the upper rpm range.

Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s possible due to your climate your car was already close to heat soaking just from regular driving.

simeone in a hotenvironment would notice the largest increase

·
Registered
25 Posts
You'll primarily see lower charge temps and less heatsoak if you run the car hard on the track, especially on a hot day.
Yes, this is exactly why I installed a much larger aftermarket intercooler on my otherwise stock engine. I do HPDE events with the car, and the engine was losing power at about 5200 RPM. With the larger intercooler, it pulls strong to around 6000. I don't believe I'm making any more horsepower than stock, but now I have all the stock horsepower available for the entire lap, for the entire 30 min session.

On a related note, revving the engine consistently to 6K during HPDE events has caused engine oil temp issues. I'll be installing the Mishimoto oil cooler this week. Hopefully that will resolve it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts