Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to not only the Ecoboost Mustang, but new to Ford and a Power Adder car. All of my cars in he past have been NA and one question keeps hitting me. Is a 3" exhaust really necessary on either a stock or somewhat modified Mustang EcoBoost ?

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
45 Posts
Necessary? No. The @Moxman custom setup is popular around here and it is 2.5. The consensus seems to be that the down pipe is the choke point in the exhaust so unless you are replacing that and tuning you are not going to get much out of a catback regardless of the pipe diameter.

·
Super Moderator
2,964 Posts
No, 3" exhaust isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Agreed... 3" is not required / mandatory for performance gains.. .2.5 should be adequate

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am new to not only the Ecoboost Mustang, but new to Ford and a Power Adder car. All of my cars in he past have been NA and one question keeps hitting me. Is a 3" exhaust really necessary on either a stock or somewhat modified Mustang EcoBoost ?
Necessary for stock-no, lightly modified-not really......for full bolt ons-well if you’ve spent money power mods why would you limit The power by not running a larger down pipe? For any cam or turbo upgrades- absolutely run a larger down pipe........3” may not be enough depending on power level.
Bottom line, for a turbo car, the better it breaths in and out, the more efficient it is and the more power it will make.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Necessary? No. The @Moxman custom setup is popular around here and it is 2.5. The consensus seems to be that the down pipe is the choke point in the exhaust so unless you are replacing that and tuning you are not going to get much out of a catback regardless of the pipe diameter.
Thanks for the shout-out. The dual 2 1/2" pipe setup is more than adequate for this engine. Plus, the 2 1/2" Magnaflow muffler is a straight-through design, so it has little or no restriction to flow. 3" pipe is really big and is very hard to get to fit the S550 chassis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new to not only the Ecoboost Mustang, but new to Ford and a Power Adder car. All of my cars in he past have been NA and one question keeps hitting me. Is a 3" exhaust really necessary on either a stock or somewhat modified Mustang EcoBoost ?It will give a little bit more power. If you do more up grades and then tune it, then it would be a nice power adder! But if you are not wanting to do more power adders and then tune it, most people do a catback to get a better sound out of the Ecoboost Mustang!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you do more up grades and then tune it, then it would be a nice power adder! But if you are not wanting to do more power adders and then tune it, most people do a catback to get a better sound out of the Ecoboost Mustang!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have full 3 inch no cat. It sounds very well and im currently sitting on near 550hp on dyno!

·
Registered
202 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts