Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings, so I've been looking around for what sparkplugs to use for my 2015 Mustang Ecoboost, and i've been seeing that many people go for the Iridium tipped plugs.

When I got the car, it already came with just two mods: a K&N Air intake, and a MBRP exhaust.

however when searching up the iridium tipped plugs, I noticed that it says it's for a cooler engine.
I really only have basic knowledge on how to change my oil, and i'm not sure if that means that I need to have the car tuned when I install these plugs.

other than some occasional brisk driving, I don't really max out the performance of the car. I just want it to last, so i want to learn how to keep it properly maintained.
so are iridium sparkplugs still worth it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd stick with the factory plugs, just make sure they're gapped correctly. Even adding a couple psi via a tune is fine on stock plugs, but you can switch to the Iridium's if you want. Really no need to swap them out either way unless it's time for them to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The stock factory plug is an Iridium tipped plug. It's actually hard to find plugs that are not Iridium.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
I changed out my factory sparks for one step cooler and found that it performed and run so much better stock.

Reactions: ECOSTNG

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I tried the one step colder NGK plugs in my 15 and found no difference in performance and they started misfiring after about 12k miles. I went back to stock heat range plugs and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I tried the one step colder NGK plugs in my 15 and found no difference in performance and they started misfiring after about 12k miles. I went back to stock heat range plugs and haven't looked back.

This ^. If your factory plugs are in good shape and gapped correctly, you will see no difference by going to a colder plug. A colder plug simply helps avoid detonation in higher boost applications. Will it hurt? Probably not. Will you see a performance difference? Not unless your factory plugs are shot or you're running significantly more boost.

Very very odd timing, but I actually switched to the NGK plugs as I felt it wouldn't hurt to replace the factory plugs at 52k. A few days later, I started showing blown head gasket symptoms on cold start ups. The problem persisted even after swapping back to the factory plugs, but it was very odd timing that it all started right after I swapped them. I've got the stock plugs back in with the Ford tune after the motor replacement and they work just fine 👍👍

·
Registered
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Deep Impact Blue
1 Posts
Well you could go with the OEM route or if you’re looking to go 1 step colder, NGK Iridium 6510 (a large following in the aftermarket for these cars) have a large range to be gapped back down to (.040 to .026) and have a tendency to open back up. Personally, I’ve been running the Ruthenium 95605 plugs and they are also 1 step colder but are a closer gap and don’t have that tendency to open back up. I know of plenty of big power guys who run the Ruthenium plugs and love them, just up to your preference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts