Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first joined the forum, I was told the 2017 EcoBoosts don't need a catch can because the issue was fixed. However, as time went on I still see people running catch cans and reccomending them. I'm at 20,100 miles right now and I don't want to reduce longevity because of not having one. So does a 2017 need a catch can? And should I even install one at this point?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recommend a catch can on any direct injection engine. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If you plan on getting rid of it soon don't bother. If you plan on keeping it for another 20k miles I'd put one on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Never too late. Do it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I just ordered mine, and I've had my car for a year... figured better late than never.

·
Administrator
3,757 Posts
I've been running one for a couple of years on my '17. If you're keeping the car a while, I'd say do it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I waited about 5k miles to do a catch can. Car had about 30k miles on it when I put a single valve catch can on it. Put a UPR dual valve can on it at about 40k miles. Only filled it about 1/2 in almost 10k miles. They are worth the money if you daily the car and will keep it for 30-50k+ miles.

·
Administrator
3,757 Posts
Mishimoto

·
Registered
2018 Ecoboost Premium w/ Performance Package
137 Posts
never too late to add one. carbon build up seems to be an issue with our cars no matter what though, not saying the catch can doesn't help just that it doesn't stop it from happening

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recommend a catch can on any direct injection engine. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If you plan on getting rid of it soon don't bother. If you plan on keeping it for another 20k miles I'd put one on.
For as long as possible. Do you think I already have a lot of carbon build up after 20k miles?

·
Registered
242 Posts
For as long as possible. Do you think I already have a lot of carbon build up after 20k miles?
It shouldn't be too bad after 20k miles. Ford wouldn't release a car that needs major work done before the warranty expires. You could use an aerosol product designed to clean intake valves if you want to, they produce results and have been recommended for EcoBoost engines before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.