Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 months ago I installed the Ford Performance oil catch can on both sides of my car. The passenger side of the car has a Crankcase Pressure Sensor in the PCV line.

The catch can has been installed for about a year now with no issues (Aside: I’ve never had to empty either catch can yet which I find odd)

Since last week, I got a check engine light with code P051B “Crankcase Pressure Circuit Range/Performance”. I reset it and it came back after about half an hour of driving so I changed the crankcase pressure sensor. Same thing, it came back after another half hour of driving.

Any ideas what else I could try to fix this problem? I’m out of ideas. Any information on how to contact Ford Performance would be appreciated as well. Crazy how their products don’t have a warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Ardy,
There are a few threads on this; but, it's a "known issue" it seems. Ford Racing was claiming it's related to an aftermarket intake tube (I have AirRaid and got the CEL immediately). My tuner was able to prevent the CEL; but, after running it for a few months and not getting any trace of oil in the catch can, I went back to stock.

Here are a few relevant threads to read up on if you'd like to dig in further.

and

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this StuckXJ,

Reading those two makes me think it’s not an electrical issue. Although the 5.6v I’m measuring between the sensor signal and ground when it’s unplugged is making me believe there’s an electrical short because according to the shop manual it shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you runnning an aftermarket intake tube? At one point it seemed all of us running into this CEL had the Air Raid tube and the one user (freedompenguin IIRC) working with Ford Racing support said the intake tube is effecting the sensor's reading. Seemed more like an easy out from support though. If you swap back to the OEM line, does the CEL go away? It may take a couple driving cycles.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are you runnning an aftermarket intake tube? At one point it seemed all of us running into this CEL had the Air Raid tube and the one user (freedompenguin IIRC) working with Ford Racing support said the intake tube is effecting the sensor's reading. Seemed more like an easy out from support though. If you swap back to the OEM line, does the CEL go away? It may take a couple driving cycles.
It's Air... AID! They make products to aid airflow. Sorry, little pet peeve of mine. Air Raid does sound kind of cooler, though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had both and after several months I got the same code. No other mods. I cleared it and it kept coming back. I changed the sensor with the original and still got the code. Nothing ever in that can so I put the oem pipe back and haven't had the code since....maybe a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts