Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep! Another small rant. I’ve seen on another S550 site, that hey you must have these to protect your pinch welds and stiffen your ride....BS. Almost every car manufactured around the world for the last 50 years (maybe longer) has been a unibody construction with pinch welds.
So why are we seeing jacking rails being pushed as must have items now? They are a carry over from other mustang models where “Sub-Frame” connectors served a purpose in actually strengthening the chassis, made of heavy grade boxed tubing, vastly improving handling, and as some discovered where great for lifting the car and using jack stands.
Enter the S550 platform, awesomely designed platform, stiffer than previous models, doesn’t need Sub-frame connectors.....so some manufacturer came up with .......yep, you guessed it, jacking rails. Does your car have to have them to protect the pinch welds? Absolutely not, again pinch welds have been around for a very long time. Are they going to strengthen your chassis? Absolutely not.
If you’re getting them to aid in jacking the car up, using jack stands, etc then yes by all means do so. Or if you‘re a car show person and need things pretty, do it. (Not a jab, I do car shows too).
Why the rant? It bothers me that some of our less experienced enthusiast are lured into purchases based on hype and social media.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yep! Another small rant. I’ve seen on another S550 site, that hey you must have these to protect your pinch welds and stiffen your ride....BS. Almost every car manufactured around the world for the last 50 years (maybe longer) has been a unibody construction with pinch welds.
So why are we seeing jacking rails being pushed as must have items now? They are a carry over from other mustang models where “Sub-Frame” connectors served a purpose in actually strengthening the chassis, made of heavy grade boxed tubing, vastly improving handling, and as some discovered where great for lifting the car and using jack stands.
Enter the S550 platform, awesomely designed platform, stiffer than previous models, doesn’t need Sub-frame connectors.....so some manufacturer came up with .......yep, you guessed it, jacking rails. Does your car have to have them to protect the pinch welds? Absolutely not, again pinch welds have been around for a very long time. Are they going to strengthen your chassis? Absolutely not.
If you’re getting them to aid in jacking the car up, using jack stands, etc then yes by all means do so. Or if you‘re a car show person and need things pretty, do it. (Not a jab, I do car shows too).
Why the rant? It bothers me that some of our less experienced enthusiast are lured into purchases based on hype and social media.
Agreed. I got mine for the ease of jacking one side up. My rear subframe braces and metal bushings keep the rear end stiff.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cmon Kent we all know that these are necessary and a catch can is snake oil, I think you have the two mixed up. ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is there anything to keep one from using a pad designed for the pinch weld at the balance point along the rocker? Is there a risk you would collapse the rocker panel it if you're not at the jacking points? Not sure, but maybe that plastic finishing piece would be in the way, as there are cut outs at the jacking points. When I had my Sonata, there was a box section about a foot in from the rocker that ran the length of the underbody and I took to putting a foot long piece of 2x4 on the floor jack and lifting the entire side up to do the seasonal tire change. I never had any issue and did no damage to that box section.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Having seen lots of pinch welds fail due to jacking from there in the water cooled VW community, jacking rails were one of the first additions for my Mustang. For the price, they are worth the peace of mind that I won't be bending or splitting them open in a much heavier car than my Rabbit. Granted the Mustang is light years ahead as far as automotive advancements go, so it is probably safe without them.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have the "ultra lights" from Steeda. Its actually interesting to get the car on all 4s, because the rail isn't very long, so the stands are fairly close together. But it works.

However, I didn't get them because I didn't think the pinchweld would 'hold', or definitely not because they strengthen anything. I simply got them because they seem to make jacking the car up and down, which I've had to do many, many times a lot easier. But sometimes I do think its just superfluous weight.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anything to keep one from using a pad designed for the pinch weld at the balance point along the rocker? Is there a risk you would collapse the rocker panel it if you're not at the jacking points? Not sure, but maybe that plastic finishing piece would be in the way, as there are cut outs at the jacking points. When I had my Sonata, there was a box section about a foot in from the rocker that ran the length of the underbody and I took to putting a foot long piece of 2x4 on the floor jack and lifting the entire side up to do the seasonal tire change. I never had any issue and did no damage to that box section.
Absolutely no reason to not use a pad, I‘m a cheap ass when it comes to that kind of stuff though, my pads for lifting my mustang on the lift at the shop are blocks cut from a 2x4 that are approx 6” long, at home I do the same thing you described with the length of 2x4 and my race jack or if I just need to lift one corner, I have a 1/2” rubber pad.....when I can find it, lol! If I can‘t find it I’ll just fold up 2-3 shop rags and go for it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having seen lots of pinch welds fail due to jacking from there in the water cooled VW community, jacking rails were one of the first additions for my Mustang. For the price, they are worth the peace of mind that I won't be bending or splitting them open in a much heavier car than my Rabbit. Granted the Mustang is light years ahead as far as automotive advancements go, so it is probably safe without them.

Hey if they ease your mind, go for it.......I remember the old VW’s myself, lol! But yes, technology has changed a great deal, and I’ve never seen or heard of any pinch weld failures for these cars and that includes a couple towed in from accidents.

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
For someone with a daily driver only, I would say, sure, don't bother with jacking rails. For those of us who swap wheels weekly for track/autocross duty, they're a must have.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the "ultra lights" from Steeda. Its actually interesting to get the car on all 4s, because the rail isn't very long, so the stands are fairly close together. But it works.

However, I didn't get them because I didn't think the pinchweld would 'hold', or definitely not because they strengthen anything. I simply got them because they seem to make jacking the car up and down, which I've had to do many, many times a lot easier. But sometimes I do think its just superfluous weight.

Lol! The weight was the prime consideration for me, as these cars are already, so heavy.....and I’m really trying make it lighter! Lol! Less weight = fassster.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For someone with a daily driver only, I would say, sure, don't bother with jacking rails. For those of us who swap wheels weekly for track/autocross duty, they're a must have.
Absolutely, zhent! That a good, practical reason to have them.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I also installed jacking rails from BMR. I added them primarily for the ease and convenience of jacking 1 side at a time to put the car on stands. At the time I installed them, I had no other suspension upgrades, and noticed there was indeed a difference in chassis flex on corners and especially on surfaces with height variances. It wasn't a lot, but it was there even though that wasn't my intent when installing. An added bonus is that they take any scrapes from speed bumps or extreme changes in surface angle instead of the chassis. I'm ok with taking them off every so often to touch them back up. Would I have added them as sub-frame braces as a primary function? No, the other modifications I did to my IRS afterward took care of my requirements.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
View attachment 35750

But They made all my suspension work so much easier when I did it
Those look like the ultra lite's in action, right there. Am I wrong?? So close together. I actually called Steeda and interrogated them about the viability of this before I actually did it for the first time. LOL. When my wife and friends see it, they all freak out. ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Those look like the ultra lite's in action, right there. Am I wrong?? So close together. I actually called Steeda and interrogated them about the viability of this before I actually did it for the first time. LOL. When my wife and friends see it, they all freak out. ?
Woah, that is close together ha. That would freak me out too. I have the bmr's from summitt and they are spread much further apart. Do the steeda's go full length front to back? Seems bizarre but I guess clearly it works.

Edit: I looked at steeda's website and apparently there are different lengths ha.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Woah, that is close together ha. That would freak me out too. I have the bmr's from summitt and they are spread much further apart. Do the steeda's go full length front to back? Seems bizarre but I guess clearly it works.

Edit: I looked at steeda's website and apparently there are different lengths ha.
They were designed so that you can use the subframe braces at the same time with them (the subframe braces attach to the two bolts in the rear that the 'full length' rail would normally bolt to). So the 'meaty' part (where you put your jack pad, and then the jack stands) only runs about the length of the door.

Its stable. I always do a yank test, before the tires comes off, and then I also place the tires underneath the car just as a precaution. This is the picture that they sent me when I asked how viable the rails were. Needless to say, its pretty convincing. ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
They were designed so that you can use the subframe braces at the same time with them (the subframe braces attach to the two bolts in the rear that the 'full length' rail would normally bolt to). So the 'meaty' part (where you put your jack pad, and then the jack stands) only runs about the length of the door.

Its stable. I always do a yank test, before the tires comes off, and then I also place the tires underneath the car just as a precaution. This is the picture that they sent me when I asked how viable the rails were. Needless to say, its pretty convincing. ?

View attachment 35754
Ah that makes sense. I didn't think of the braces. From the looks of their picture, I guess they work just fine ha.

·
Registered
2018 Premium Fastback
55 Posts
I'm curious about Steedas two (non-convertible) jacking rail models. There's the initial ~$150 model, and a newer $110 full length model. The former is listed under "frame stiffing" or the like where ever I've seen it listed; the latter is not on the same sites.

I've seen users here list jacking rails as suspension mods as well. Given the topic of the thread I am wondering if Steeda isn't marketing the new rails as "frame stiffing" because rails are not, or there is an actual suspension difference between the two.

·
Registered
628 Posts
My BMR jacking rails are full length, so I'm able to place the rear jack stand further back for more separation and stability.

And as I stated previously, though it wasn't my intent, they did actually provide a small amount of stiffening that was noticeable. I put them on my wife's car also with no other suspension upgrade at the same time and she immediately noticed a difference. I can't quantify how much stiffening they provide, since they aren't welded along the length to the chassis like a true sub-frame rail. But we all know how detailed and accurate marketing descriptions and specifications are for products, whether it be year, model, sub-model, engine type, or product attributes (even in the same family).

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
126 Posts
Quick question for those who've installed these. Is it still possible to use the oem scissor jack? Reason I ask is due to it's channel/slot designed to accept the pinch weld. If these rails sit flush, or pretty close to the pinch weld, I can't see a safe way to use the oem jack. This would be a bummer, meaning I'd need to carry a jack with a lifting pad:(

Edit: Forgot to include that I placed an order yesterday for these:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts