Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quick question for those who've installed these. Is it still possible to use the oem scissor jack? Reason I ask is due to it's channel/slot designed to accept the pinch weld. If these rails sit flush, or pretty close to the pinch weld, I can't see a safe way to use the oem jack. This would be a bummer, meaning I'd need to carry a jack with a lifting pad:(

Edit: Forgot to include that I placed an order yesterday for these:
I would be in the same boat, as I have a spare tire for the occasion you peel a tire or cut a sidewall and the goop ain’t fixing it. I suppose you could buy a scissor jack at Harbour Freight or similar, do some measuring and cut the top piece off and have your local welder weld some angle on that would catch the outside at the jack point and reach back just to the inside of the jacking rail. Shot of rattle can paint and keep your OEM jack on a shelf in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
I don't know about the "oem scissor jack" since PP cars don't come with that. I do know that I can and have used a cheap scissor jack with the jacking rails in place to replace a flat on the side of the road though...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quick question for those who've installed these. Is it still possible to use the oem scissor jack? Reason I ask is due to it's channel/slot designed to accept the pinch weld. If these rails sit flush, or pretty close to the pinch weld, I can't see a safe way to use the oem jack. This would be a bummer, meaning I'd need to carry a jack with a lifting pad:(

Edit: Forgot to include that I placed an order yesterday for these:
To change a tire on the side of the road? I wouldn't worry. Just try to make it as stable as possible and lift the car just far enough off the surface to change the tire. I would not put any of my body under the vehicle though in that case. Not sure I would trust it that much. But just to change a flat, I think you would be okay.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
160 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess I get a little anxious when I make impulse buys. Had these rails in my cart on AM for a while now, along with the SR Performance strut tower bar. Mostly like the idea of these rails protecting my undercarriage in instances where I bring her into a shop. Seems like once in a while they just kick the lifting legs under the car and wing it!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess I get a little anxious when I make impulse buys. Had these rails in my cart on AM for a while now, along with the SR Performance strut tower bar. Mostly like the idea of these rails protecting my undercarriage in instances where I bring her into a shop. Seems like once in a while they just kick the lifting legs under the car and wing it!
You'll be good with those. I have the same ones (in red). I did have some trouble running the bolts in the threaded holes. Maybe some old locktite or something. After I tapped them, all was well. You may need to run a tap in your mounting holes before install.

Reactions: SamAce75

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
I didn't get a scissor jack. I can't answer your question on that, but I use a hydraulic jack I keep in my tire trailer.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
160 Posts
I bought an oem compact spare with scissor jack since the sealant + compressor kit the car came with offers little comfort. My only concern is mounting my spare roadside. The factory jack works fine with the pinch welds being fully accessible, but the installed rails might be in the way. I've got a 4-ton Craftsman with a 3-4" insulated pad for jobs done at home. I won't worry about it too much right now and figure something out once I can fiddle around. I found a Husky scissor jack Home Depot sells for ~$30 that has a decently wide, concave pad area. Rails should arrive tomorrow and I'm off Wednesday, so....

Jake, Do you happen to recall which tap size you used to clean up the factory threads? Thanks! (y)

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Registered
906 Posts
I bought an oem compact spare with scissor jack since the sealant + compressor kit the car came with offers little comfort. My only concern is mounting my spare roadside. The factory jack works fine with the pinch welds being fully accessible, but the installed rails might be in the way. I've got a 4-ton Craftsman with a 3-4" insulated pad for jobs done at home. I won't worry about it too much right now and figure something out once I can fiddle around. I found a Husky scissor jack Home Depot sells for ~$30 that has a decently wide, concave pad area. Rails should arrive tomorrow and I'm off Wednesday, so....

Jake, Do you happen to recall which tap size you used to clean up the factory threads? Thanks! (y)
I can understand your concern with the scissor jack being flat and the rail being flat. As long as you are on stable terrain, and you don't crank one side of the car way up in the air, you should be fine with your scissor jack. I would not, however, use that to crank it all the way up to put jack stands under it. That, like you said, is a job for your jack at home in the garage. For a couple inches off the ground though for a spare tire, go for it.

As for tap size, I do not recall off the top of my head. I do believe it was metric. 12mm or so sticks in my head, but I'm not certain. I just took one of the bolts up to my dads house and raided his tool box for what fit. It's most likely a 10 or 12, something of that size.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
As for tap size, I do not recall off the top of my head. I do believe it was metric. 12mm or so sticks in my head, but I'm not certain. I just took one of the bolts up to my dads house and raided his tool box for what fit. It's most likely a 10 or 12, something of that size.
Was it suspect hardware for the rails, or did the threads really get screwed in that hole?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Was it suspect hardware for the rails, or did the threads really get screwed in that hole?
If I remember, they were just kinda gooped up with Loctite or some other sealant. Threads were fine, but I had to really crank on the bolt to put the first one in. I didn't like that. So I stopped, took the bolt out, chased the threads, and then it was fine. I did put a couple drops of fresh loctite on during final install.

Reactions: SamAce75

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
160 Posts
If I remember, they were just kinda gooped up with Loctite or some other sealant. Threads were fine, but I had to really crank on the bolt to put the first one in. I didn't like that. So I stopped, took the bolt out, chased the threads, and then it was fine. I did put a couple drops of fresh loctite on during final install.
I've got an ACE right on the corner I'll hit up to find out the thread(y)

Reactions: JAKE

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
160 Posts
Installed the BMR Super Low Profile rails and found that there are still accessible pinch weld points so I can use my oem scissor jack if necessary. 3 on each side with 2 at the rear and 1 up front. With "Full length" rails, it might be a different story. Sorry for the pic quality.

IMG_20200624_103750857.jpg IMG_20200624_105624343.jpg

Reactions: Nater Potater

·
Registered
906 Posts
Installed the BMR Super Low Profile rails and found that there are still accessible pinch weld points so I can use my oem scissor jack if necessary. 3 on each side with 2 at the rear and 1 up front. With "Full length" rails, it might be a different story. Sorry for the pic quality.

View attachment 36689 View attachment 36690
Nice! Best of both worlds. Guess I should have gone out the garage and looked before responding ha.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
160 Posts
Nice! Best of both worlds. Guess I should have gone out the garage and looked before responding ha.
Yeah, I'm a glass half empty type...always assuming difficulty around the corner😋.
Even though full length rails would prob reveal my initial concerns to be a reality, functionally they are better at protecting the pinch welds.
I'm happy with my choice & the unintended comprise👌

Reactions: JAKE

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a further question on the pinch weld protectors. Is the pinch weld sitting on them (as in A) or is the support supposed to spread the weight out over the rocker, with pinch weld untouched (as in B). Excuse the crude drawing from an iPad app.

·
Registered
2016 EcoBoost - Auto
160 Posts
B would best protect the pinch weld, spreading the load over the most area. Just measure the area of the opening in your side skirt so your lifting pad won't damage it. (y)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I ended up ordering the Potauto aluminum pad, after seeing pictures of it in use on the M6G forum. It must be coming by slow boat, as I received an email confirmation of it being shipped, and the early date for arrival is October 9!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts