Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Just some basic questions about my most recent purchase

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Buldawg76 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. A few days ago I went and purchased a used (50k miles) 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible. Had my friend who was a mechanic run some tests and every part is functioning perfectly, which ultimately led me to buy it along with the good price. Now i know people hate this, but i really love the look of the car and am interested getting the most miles out of the engine as possible. The only mods I could see myself doing is post catalytic converter exhaust and body paneling. However, i guess im wondering if there's anything that I could add to the mustang currently that would increase the longevity of the vehicle, or just some basic maintenance tips to follow to keep it in good condition. I'm also worried about the problem peoples have with their engines blowing up due to the turbos. While keeping the car stock and not driving too crazy, do I have to worry about this happening?
Either way, preciate anyone who took the time to read and Id love to get some advice. Below is what I'm planning on doing maintenance wise to get the most out of my vehicle

Spark plugs every 40k, Oil every 5k, Coolant every 45k (that one might be wrong i gotta talk to my buddy)
Thanks again

#2 ·
No-one hates folks choosing to keep things stock. It's truly the path to having the most reliable ecoboost you can have.

The only suggestion I would give toward giving it longevity would be get a catch can installed. Because the car is direct injected they can have a tendency over time to have the intake valves get a little caked in carbon from the PCV system. A catch can will lessen this to some extent.

#3 ·
As zhent said, catch can is a good idea. Also, it's pretty rare to see any hate among our community and definitely no hate to go around for anyone being stock lol.

Make sure to keep injectors cleaned at recommended intervals, be sure to warm up the car before driving and to allow the turbo to cool down after driving by idling for a minute before shutting off the engine, be sure to use good gas anything above 87 octane will suffice.

#5 ·
YouTube and Facebook are NOT the place to go for quality advice and non-judgemental opinions. I am on an Ecoboost Facebook page (why I stay on it, I do not know) and every time someone has a problem and asks what to do, some slack jawed wit replies “part it out”. I’m bone stock, btw.

#11 ·
Along with a gokd catch can, I'll recommend using the large oil filter (Motorcraft FL400s) every oil change. You can fit a little more oil in and keep all the flowing oil a little more clean for a little longer that way.

Reactions: Buldawg76
#18 ·
I have a 2020 and the only mods I have on mine are an oil catch can and a breather cap. Tried the bypass valve adapter for the pssshhht sound but that got annoying so took it off. I myself don’t see myself doing much of anything else as I just enjoy it in stock form. Likely will replace consumable parts on down the road as they wear out with performance replacements but other than a flash tuner and and intercooler and charge pipes I am set.

#19 ·
Catch can and an upgraded IC from the stock one will keep the engine happy and regular maintenance intervals for fluids and filters is all that's required.

BD

#21 ·
My wife has the same car. 2017. 77m miles. Added a cold air intake and have an oil catch can bought to put on. Car runs great. If you stay to modify with all the high performance add one. That’s where you will eventually have problems. Biggest thing we do is put premium gas only in it. Good luck

#25 ·
Catch can and CVFab street IC are the 2 best things you can add to improve both longevity and reliability for the long haul along with regular maintenances items.

BD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.