Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, question for ya...I hope I am not annoying any of you, I am simply taking advantage of your knowledge and expertise if I cant find an answer on the search bar!

I have a 2019 EcoBoost w/performance pack. I decided since I bought it with 6k miles on it, that I’m going to stick with the Ford Performance Calibration tune for now, but planning on a pro tune in the near future. I drive a ton, so 36k miles will come soon enough.

Anyways, I received the Ford Tune today. I went to switch the drop in filter out.....The Ford performance tune comes with a k&n filter. As I pulled the filter thats already on the car, I realized it was the same exact filter as the one I was putting in.

1) do the cars that come with the performance packs come with k&n filters from the factory?

2) is it possible this car already has the Ford performance tune on it? Is there anyway to tell? I’m going to be pretty pissed if I just dropped $500 on the tune of the car already has it from the previous owner

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
The cars don't come stock with a K&N filter.... So maybe the previous owner just replaced it with one?

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cars don't come stock with a K&N filter.... So maybe the previous owner just replaced it with one?
That is what I am hoping for as my Ford Performance Calibration now has an opened box! Everything else is stock on this car other than the fact it is wired for subwoofers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So you haven't flashed the new tune yet? If not, go for a run and see what max boost is in 3rd/4th gear and if it feels like you run out of steam above 5k rpm or if it pulls consistently all the way to redline. If you're pushing 22-23psi and it's holding strong all the way to redline, you have a tune. If not, you don't. I also previously bought a Cobb AP hoping for a little extra push and was a little disappointed to realize my car already most likely has the FP tune (or another similar tune). Luckily I hadn't tried flashing the Cobb map yet and was able to sell it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, question for ya...I hope I am not annoying any of you, I am simply taking advantage of your knowledge and expertise if I cant find an answer on the search bar!

I have a 2019 EcoBoost w/performance pack. I decided since I bought it with 6k miles on it, that I’m going to stick with the Ford Performance Calibration tune for now, but planning on a pro tune in the near future. I drive a ton, so 36k miles will come soon enough.

Anyways, I received the Ford Tune today. I went to switch the drop in filter out.....The Ford performance tune comes with a k&n filter. As I pulled the filter thats already on the car, I realized it was the same exact filter as the one I was putting in.

1) do the cars that come with the performance packs come with k&n filters from the factory?

2) is it possible this car already has the Ford performance tune on it? Is there anyway to tell? I’m going to be pretty pissed if I just dropped $500 on the tune of the car already has it from the previous owner

Following....same situation here 18 pp manual. 2nd owner. Have you tried the advice from #4? I'm curious to find out. TIA

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Assuming you are bring the car to Ford for the tune they can tell you based on the vin if it has the FP tune. Even if you haven't the service department should be able to tell you.

Also, even though you have opened the box if you have not yet registered the voucher in the box you should be able to return it.

FWIW, when I did the FP tune on my 17 they were still providing the GT350 cold air intake with an adapter to fit the Ecoboost intake tube and the intake tube for a GT as well as the ProCal device. Also in the box was a new intake temp sensor for the Ecoboost and a new MAF sensor for the GT. What I am getting at is the kit you get in when you purchase the tune is universal for both the Ecoboost and GT and it is not until you register the voucher and put in your vin does FP no what car it is going on.

Dave

·
Registered
199 Posts
I specifically asked a Ford dealer if they could tell me if it had a tune on it multiple times after I bought it (not the dealer I bought it from and I was having them do other work), and their final answer was they couldn't tell...I'd like to think they were just doing me a favor by "not noticing", but they also said I was lucky I had smog legal paperwork/approval for the intake that was on the car when I had them smog it as well. Unless they go out and flog it to see what max boost and power above 5k is, they might not be able to tell if the tune has been on there quite some time.

I was just thinking about the air filter the other day too since I'm running a stock air filter/box now. The GT uses the same air box and filter as us. If this paper air filter supports 460hp at 7000+ rpm...there's absolutely no need for a "high flow" air filter on a 335hp EB lol.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
They aren't telling you the truth. If it is a FP tune and it was registered with FP then the fact it is there is in the Ford database against your VIN, that is how the dealer knows to charge FP for warranty work that is attributed to the tune. Everytime a Ford authorized flash has been done to the ECU it is in the database. If there have been flashes that are not in the database they know unauthorized changes have been made. They won't know the particulars of the flash but there is a diagnostic flow chart floating around in the web from Ford for the dealer to use to determine if the car has an aftermarket tune.

Everytime I take my car in for it's safety/emission inspection to the local service station I get a report. It prints right on the report how many miles I have driven since the last time the ECU was flashed and how many start cycles have occurred since the last time the ECU was reset (codes cleared). If the local inspection stations computer can retrieve that info you know dam well the dealer can.

Dave

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Wow! Thanks Dave. Based on your clues, I found this!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/ford-gas-engine-performance-mods-warranty-pdf.306381/

It seems like the only sure fire way to check for an 'aftermarket calibration' is to check for an 'abnormally low' ignition count. By 'ignition count', I suppose they mean the number of times you've turned the car on since flash?

So if you're someone like me, who's only flashed the car once, with the FP tune, at 5K miles....it might be "harder to tell"?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow! Thanks Dave. Based on your clues, I found this!

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/ford-gas-engine-performance-mods-warranty-pdf.306381/

It seems like the only sure fire way to check for an 'aftermarket calibration' is to check for an 'abnormally low' ignition count. By 'ignition count', I suppose they mean the number of times you've turned the car on since flash?

So if you're someone like me, who's only flashed the car once, with the FP tune, at 5K miles....it might be "harder to tell"?
That was my understanding as well and why I specifically mentioned in my post that they might not be able to tell if it's been there for a long time. I'm not here to call anyone a liar, all I know is they said they couldn't tell and a couple months later the same dealership, after digging into everything and also sending data to Ford, replaced my block and head for a blown head gasket under warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Base Ecoboost, Stock/Factory Tune, M/T Tires
201 Posts
They must really get confused, when you have only put 5 miles on your car while making 12 passes down the 1/4 mile tracks...lol

I did the math... I start my car 28 times on an average weekend.

·
Registered
691 Posts
2019 ECB w/performance pack: I didn't think you could use the Ford tune with the pp? Only the base?
High performance no think that's only 2020 onwards anyway

Premium performance yes

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should be able to goto ford performance and chat support give them your vin and they can tell you if you have the FP tune as it registers to your vin.

PP can be FP tuned. HPP can not yet and won't likely ever get it as the HPP is technically already FP tuned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts