Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a 2017 or '18 convertible and doing enough mods to get it into the high 12s. From my V8 performance days, a quality aftermarket "catback" would generally be good for about 10HP. Don't know how restrictive the EcoBoost exhaust is but I'm willing to give up a few hp to keep the car fairly quiet. I'll consider an aftermarket catted downpipe if it's required for a more aggressive tune. Is anyone running most of the bolt-ons with a stage 2-3 tune and stock exhaust?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Not here... Cobb stage 2 tune, but currently with a muffler and resonator delete. And if may also give you my 2 cents... while I believe high 12's are most certainly achievable in an EB vert, I also firmly believe it will take more than just a tune and good exhaust.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's pretty restrictive. You could do a full 3" turboback exhaust with a tune to get some extra HP and noise. Stock piping is 2.25" I think.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is what I've been thinking for mods -

Replacement filter
Airaid intake tube
Intercooler upgrade
Upgraded plugs
Wastegate actuator
Tune

I'd probably be content with solid low 13s but that's close enough to the 12s to want to be there. I know I wouldn't be happy with a loud exhaust.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Almost any aftermarket downpipe you get (including both of our EXCELLENT options, may I add :cool:) are 3", and the stock exhaust piping runs at 2.25" (at the resonator connection point)/2.5". A tune will definitely push you further in terms of horsepower for the $$.

If you want some video/sound of the benefits of a high-flow pipe upgrade zhent has a review of our pipe here (with some more media and questions answered):

https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/cvf-catted-downpipe.18065/

If I'm not mistaken he's running a stock exhaust, but if you PM him he may be able to clarify!

And shoot me a message if you're interested in learning more about our pipe - I've got a discount code to hand out for those who ask!

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Yep, Gibson exhaust with the CVF catted downpipe.

Reactions: cvf-jason

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MA is an interesting state. I've had cars with long tube headers, high flow cats and aftermarket exhausts. Never had a problem. The only time an officer has said something to me about my exhaust was when I was driving an LS1 GTO with an aftermarket real mounted turbo. It seemed like he was trying to find something wrong so he mentioned the exhaust was modified. I explained it was a turbo. He kind of didn't know what to say so he told me to have a good night (small town officer). The same goes for lift kits on trucks. I see some and wonder how they don't get stopped. The vehicle is an obvious target. Actually, I don't know how it passes inspection. There are cameras in the bays so we can no longer give the guy a "tip" to overlook things.

When it comes to the exhaust, a catted downpipes would be the only thing I'd want to go with. I drove a '19 Fastback for about a half hour today. I like how it's quiet. I've driven some new GTs. They sound great but I wouldn't want to listen to them all the time.

I've also been researching tunes. Kind of split between the Ford Performance and the Cobb.

Reactions: paul_g

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
MA is an interesting state. I've had cars with long tube headers, high flow cats and aftermarket exhausts. Never had a problem. The only time an officer has said something to me about my exhaust was when I was driving an LS1 GTO with an aftermarket real mounted turbo. It seemed like he was trying to find something wrong so he mentioned the exhaust was modified. I explained it was a turbo. He kind of didn't know what to say so he told me to have a good night (small town officer). The same goes for lift kits on trucks. I see some and wonder how they don't get stopped. The vehicle is an obvious target. Actually, I don't know how it passes inspection. There are cameras in the bays so we can no longer give the guy a "tip" to overlook things.

When it comes to the exhaust, a catted downpipes would be the only thing I'd want to go with. I drove a '19 Fastback for about a half hour today. I like how it's quiet. I've driven some new GTs. They sound great but I wouldn't want to listen to them all the time.

I've also been researching tunes. Kind of split between the Ford Performance and the Cobb.
I grew up in MA, and moved to AZ from NH. Trucks here in AZ can go as high and wide as they want. Cars can be as loud as they want. Sadly we have a lot of people moving here from CA and they want to make it like CA. Anyway that’s a different topic.

Great first mods can be IC, Catch Can, tune... stock down pipe is very restrictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
@cvf-jason Not to steal the OP's thunder, but I'm running the Ford Performance Procal Tune. Will I need to go with Cobb if this is installed? Also, will it hook up to the Magnaflow Competition Series with 2.5 in diameter and no resonator?
I'll throw two cents in here.

When I installed the catted downpipe I didn't get any codes or CELs without tuning for it. I did get a little more power after the re-tune, so it can be run without a tune. I would think the Ford Performance tune would be OK with it, though you'll see better gains if you go with one of the other tuners.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'll throw two cents in here.

When I installed the catted downpipe I didn't get any codes or CELs without tuning for it. I did get a little more power after the re-tune, so it can be run without a tune. I would think the Ford Performance tune would be OK with it, though you'll see better gains if you go with one of the other tuners.
Thanks Zhent. Sticking with the FP tune for now with only 6900 miles, and a year of 3/36 still left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Thanks Zhent. Sticking with the FP tune for now with only 6900 miles, and a year of 3/36 still left.
I'm at 27k and just under a year left of the 3/36 and am quite happy on my custom tune. YMMV

·
Registered
276 Posts
@cvf-jason Not to steal the OP's thunder, but I'm running the Ford Performance Procal Tune. Will I need to go with Cobb if this is installed? Also, will it hook up to the Magnaflow Competition Series with 2.5 in diameter and no resonator?
There's no need to go with Cobb. It is recommended that you re-tune after installation to get the max horsepower for the $$, but it's not necessary. And yes it will connect to your Magnaflow. The pipe comes with a 3" to 2.5" adapter (which connects to the band clamp which leads to your resonator delete). As long as that band clamp is there you're fine! :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
As in, re-apply the FP tune after installation?
The FP tune doesn't need to be 'reapplied'. Its on. A 'hi-flow' catted downpipe (which sits directly behind the exhaust side of the turbo) will allow your turbo to spool up quicker (via whatever specs on the FP tune), because there is less 'physical' back pressure. With a catback, you're not really eliminating the back pressure further up the exhaust chain at the cat, so there is really no major hp gain. You will get hp gain out of adding a new downpipe to your FP tune.

Its very similar to the question about the IC and the tune. The mods are just changing the physical variables around the tune (aka the algorithm or the program). The tune will always be the same in the manner it orchestrates the variables...it just has BETTER variables to work with now.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
@thatguy, you're in MA so just be careful with the aftermarket exhaust. MA State Troopers and Inspections can be as tough as CA. Actually after reading MA Chapter 90 Section 16, it reads pretty much like CA 27150 or 27151, except without the DB limit.
Having lived in Massachusetts my entire life and also having done inspections at my father inlaws garage in the 70s and my son now having his own garage that does inspections unless your exhaust is obnoxiously loud (open header loud) no one hassles you about exhaust.

In January 18 the state instituted a new inspection process that required video cameras in the inspection bay. Two premanently mounted in the front, one in the rear and one hand held. The hand held is used to verify the VIN, the presence of both plates and a scan of the bottom of the car. There was all kinds of paranoia that modified cars wouldn't pass, I have not heard of anyone failing in 18 for mods that passed in previous years.

The main thing the new procedures have done is force garages to get everyone doing the inspection certified where in the past everyone would sign into the system using the same certification card. The other thing that has happened is smaller garages have dropped doing inspections. It takes longer because of the cameras and the state only gives the station $8.00 out of the $35.00 fee charged, it has always been a money looser and it just isn't worth it to them anymore.

Dave

1 - 20 of 44 Posts