Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2018 EcoBoost Premium and shortly after purchasing, it developed an annoying rattle around the left rear quarter panel or possibly trunk related.

I first thought it was the power cable that is mounted to the underside of the trunk and feeds down to the left side behind the trunk insulation. I used zip ties to try to secure it and the rattle would lessen but not go away. I later removed them with no change in the noise.

I had checked the trunk lift struts and they were both tight.
During my 5k maintenance check up, I had the dealership check it out and mentioned I suspected the cable. They first decided it was the strut and ordered and replaced it but again the rattle remains. Although I told them, I suspected the cable, they didn't go there. I've mentioned this a second time and now they are looking at the attachments but they've had the vehicle almost a week with no resolution. I know that rattles can be very illusive but wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there was a resolution.

Ironically, I had a 2016 and it developed the same issue but it subsided on it's own, so possibly, this is a systemic problem.

Thanks for any feedback,

·
Registered
309 Posts
Check the body panel behind the rear wheel, sometimes it pops out a little and need to be clicked back in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. Tried that but is seems to be something else. The sound is like someone tapping a fingernail or a small wire against the metal frame. I'm now wondering if it could be something in the seat belt recoiler since it triggers when you stop to stop the belt from extending but remains loose otherwise. I've pulled that all the way out and also engaged the locking mechanism but the tapping sound remains at mostly low city stop and go speeds vs faster highway speeds.
I guess I'll take it back to the dealership and let them ponder over it for another week. Just hate that it takes so long to troubleshoot, although I understand it's not an exact science to figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2018 EcoBoost Premium and shortly after purchasing, it developed an annoying rattle around the left rear quarter panel or possibly trunk related.

I first thought it was the power cable that is mounted to the underside of the trunk and feeds down to the left side behind the trunk insulation. I used zip ties to try to secure it and the rattle would lessen but not go away. I later removed them with no change in the noise.

I had checked the trunk lift struts and they were both tight.
During my 5k maintenance check up, I had the dealership check it out and mentioned I suspected the cable. They first decided it was the strut and ordered and replaced it but again the rattle remains. Although I told them, I suspected the cable, they didn't go there. I've mentioned this a second time and now they are looking at the attachments but they've had the vehicle almost a week with no resolution. I know that rattles can be very illusive but wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there was a resolution.

Ironically, I had a 2016 and it developed the same issue but it subsided on it's own, so possibly, this is a systemic problem.

Thanks for any feedback,
Hi, are you referring to the rear quarter panels in the back. If so I too have annoying rattles coming from both left and right and have not had any success in identifying or rectifying. I might suggest to dealer next week to place padding behind the panels in hope of fixing it that way. I also have an annoying passenger door creak and rear deck parcel shelf vibration that has not been able to be fixed. Anyone dealt with and fixed these issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, are you referring to the rear quarter panels in the back. If so I too have annoying rattles coming from both left and right and have not had any success in identifying or rectifying. I might suggest to dealer next week to place padding behind the panels in hope of fixing it that way. I also have an annoying passenger door creak and rear deck parcel shelf vibration that has not been able to be fixed. Anyone dealt with and fixed these issues.
Yes. It's in that general area. I actually spoke with a tech and he said, "it's too much trouble to try to figure it out and in most cases, it will go away as the car settles". Well, almost a year later, it was still doing it and seems to do it mostly in the summer when the body heats up. Now my latest update, I had some road debris hit the rear quarter panel and left and ugly scratch, so I had that repaired, which required removing and painting the whole quarter panel. After that, I haven't heard the noise anymore, although it has been winter, so I will see as the weather warms up.
Prior to that, to your point, since the dealership wouldn't do anything, I figured how to detach the inside panels and inserted some memory foam from an old pillow. (If you try this, be very careful because everything is attached with plastic push pins that grip into holes and those can be easily broken causing more issues. I assume this is the reason for the tech's comments). That seemed to help but did not remedy the noise and I could not ever feel anything that might be lose, so I suspect it might be between the outer and inside metal panels and maybe the body shop work fixed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts