Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The idea of the turbocharger is to capture waste heat to run the compressor, so insulating the turbo helps it channel the heat into doing some useful work instead of escaping into the engine compartment. The air flow through the compressor side is plenty to keep the temps in safe limits. I've never heard of anyone damaging a turbo with excess heat trapped by a turbo blanket. If anyone has, please share so I'll know to pull my blanket off...

As for what the benefits are, my butt dyno hasn't noticed any difference, but I like to know it's there, doing its thing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The idea of the turbocharger is to capture waste heat to run the compressor, so insulating the turbo helps it channel the heat into doing some useful work instead of escaping into the engine compartment. The air flow through the compressor side is plenty to keep the temps in safe limits. I've never heard of anyone damaging a turbo with excess heat trapped by a turbo blanket. If anyone has, please share so I'll know to pull my blanket off...

As for what the benefits are, my butt dyno hasn't noticed any difference, but I like to know it's there, doing its thing.
Thanks that was really informative. Think I will o this and wrap the down pipe.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks that was really informative. Think I will o this and wrap the down pipe.
Cool, I haven't tried that yet. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts