Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just hit 60,000 miles sohat do you all recommend me to buy for spark plugs.

I’m not modded in any way, nor really planning on doing anything to the engine soon.

im looking for protection rather than price; I don’t know if a “performance” spark plug would do me any good?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hi all,

I’m not modded in any way, nor really planning on doing anything to the engine soon.

im looking for protection rather than price; I don’t know if a “performance” spark plug would do me any good?

thanks in advance!
Can't go wrong with stock Motorcraft SP537

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oem will do you fine
If you want ngk they make stock heat ruthenium hx plug.
Just make sure you reduce gap from preset 0.032 to oem spec 0.028

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't go wrong with stock Motorcraft SP537
Aren't those no longer? I read that the new ones are SP550? is that accurate? Also, I can't find the torque that is needed when tightening them, would you happen to have it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oem will do you fine
If you want ngk they make stock heat ruthenium hx plug.
Just make sure you reduce gap from preset 0.032 to oem spec 0.028
I would need to buy the gapping tools, as I don't have it; also, I read that they could be quite delicate and easy to break when tightening?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Look at my spark plug post somwwhere
I posted a tool for it. Works for all spark plugs

amazon pqy universal spark plug

should pop up a red or black tool looking thing. I gotit. But I bought mine off aliexoress I think for 40 bucks I think55 anazon

my iPhone is being terrible I aporlogize

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic Metallic EcoBoost HPP, 6 Speed, Handling Package, Adaptive Dampers, Torsen 3:55 Differ
40 Posts
Aren't those no longer? I read that the new ones are SP550? is that accurate? Also, I can't find the torque that is needed when tightening them, would you happen to have it?
Torque : 106 lb.in (12 Nm)
NOTICE: Do not remove the spark plugs when the engine is hot or cold soaked. Spark plug
thread or cylinder head damage can occur. Make sure the engine is warm (hand touch after
cooling down) prior to spark plug removal.

Reactions: SoDaGil

·
Registered
151 Posts
The stock motorcraft plug is made by NGK. There's no need to gap them down to .028", on a stock engine. Just stay in the gap range Ford recommends. Don't put in a heat range colder plug, unless you like changing them more often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Torque : 106 lb.in (12 Nm)
NOTICE: Do not remove the spark plugs when the engine is hot or cold soaked. Spark plug
thread or cylinder head damage can occur. Make sure the engine is warm (hand touch after
cooling down) prior to spark plug removal.
Is it better for me to do it in early morning? Winter is starting in Dallas and mornings are now around high 60s low 70s

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi all,

thanks in advance!
NGK from adam tuned

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Is it better for me to do it in early morning? Winter is starting in Dallas and mornings are now around high 60s low 70s
It doesn't matter the ambient temperature (really) if the engine is at "room temperature" you should be fine. Just don't change 'em with a very hot or very cold engine. I usually let mine cool down enough to be comfortable to work on without burning myself. Just use a very small touch of anti-seize and you'll be okay.

and IMO on a stock engine, the stock Motorcraft plugs at recommended gap are great.

Reactions: zhent

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
I referenced Motorcraft plugs, not NGK. From AM's website:

Place a small amount of anti seize on the spark plug threads and the lower spark plug shaft below the threads. This will ensure easy future removals. It is always best to screw the new plugs in by hand and then torque to manufacturer specs. Plugs should be torqued to 25 ft-lbs according to Ford. Most mechanics I spoke with said 15 ft lbs is more than enough, especially considering the issues with removing the 2-part plug design. Repeat process for each spark plug.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Motorcraft plugs are made by NGK. I wouldn't use anti-seize or anything else on them. If you have to adjust the gaps, just be very careful as the center electrodes are fragile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,

thanks in advance!
They should be good to 100000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts