Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone in the community knew where I could find a download for stage 3 mapping ( IC, intake, down pipe). Cobb discontinued the inclusion of those maps, and I had the misfortune of receiving a tuner that doesn’t have that software. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone in the community knew where I could find a download for stage 3 mapping ( IC, intake, down pipe). Cobb discontinued the inclusion of those maps, and I had the misfortune of receiving a tuner that doesn’t have that software. Any advise would be appreciated.
Do you know if there is a way to read a Cobb tune? If there is a way to read the perimeters/or settings of your ECU with your stage 2 upload, then read someone's ECU with stage 3, you may be able to make non-electronic modifications to achieve the same results.
Stage 3, made a big difference to the performance of my Ecoboost motor, but it did not get me to the point where I am able to run mid to high 12's at 110 mph on multiple 1/4 mile tracks.
Electronics got me from a base of 13.40 to 13.10 at a track with negative DA. Adjustments/modifications to air flow, air temperature and fuel got me into the consistent 12s, along with the electronic foundation set by the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune.
But, I've gone about as far as I can go without being able to read my ECU and to get here, it took a lot of modifying, testing and adjusting, that would of been reduced, if I had more information of my ECU settings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m sure there probably is, but that would be way beyond my realm of expertise. I’m looking for a canned tune at the moment. I have all the parts installed and I’m running a stage 2 tune on it for the time being. I’ve just been babying it to keep from having any overboost issues.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd like to come up with a way to limit my boost to 24 lbs. I have some old text books from when Ford added turbochargers to cars in the 80s... May also be some sort of boost limiter available from the aftermarket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to come up with a way to limit my boost to 24 lbs. I have some old text books from when Ford added turbochargers to cars in the 80s... May also be some sort of boost limiter available from the aftermarket.
Can you find a different wastegate actuator to limit your boost?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The factory waste gate actuator relieves boost at approximately 7 psi. The ECU controls the actual boost pressure by controlling a solenoid valve that prevents the boost pressure from the manifold from being applied to the actuator.

Dave

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you know if there is a way to read a Cobb tune? If there is a way to read the perimeters/or settings of your ECU with your stage 2 upload, then read someone's ECU with stage 3, you may be able to make non-electronic modifications to achieve the same results.
Stage 3, made a big difference to the performance of my Ecoboost motor, but it did not get me to the point where I am able to run mid to high 12's at 110 mph on multiple 1/4 mile tracks.
Electronics got me from a base of 13.40 to 13.10 at a track with negative DA. Adjustments/modifications to air flow, air temperature and fuel got me into the consistent 12s, along with the electronic foundation set by the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune.
But, I've gone about as far as I can go without being able to read my ECU and to get here, it took a lot of modifying, testing and adjusting, that would of been reduced, if I had more information of my ECU settings.
Have you considered the Cobb Accesstuner software and tuning yourself? I believe they allow you to start with one of their OTS tunes as a base and then you can adjust it from there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think I read in another thread that Cobb will email you the stage 3 file on request. Try contacting them and asking.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The factory waste gate actuator relieves boost at approximately 7 psi. The ECU controls the actual boost pressure by controlling a solenoid valve that prevents the boost pressure from the manifold from being applied to the actuator.

Dave
Good information! Another reason I'd like to have access to my ECU settings!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Maybe! I was keeping the boost under 24 lbs using exhaust back pressure. But damaged my pipes while loading my car on it's trailer. So I ran race #4 of the NMRA season with a temporary system. That's when my boost started to push past 24 lbs.
Oddly enough, "with out any recordable increase in ET/MPH performance"

·
Registered
703 Posts
Have you considered the Cobb Accesstuner software and tuning yourself? I believe they allow you to start with one of their OTS tunes as a base and then you can adjust it from there.
Didn't know that was an option!?? I'll give Tye at Cobb a call and ask for information!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think I read in another thread that Cobb will email you the stage 3 file on request. Try contacting them and asking.
[
That would be very good news!!
I first heard that stage 3 would be available at an additional cost, then I heard, maybe, but it wouldn't be the same as the one I purchased?? And then I heard that the one I currently have, isn't the original???
Very confusing!Hopefully they will make a statement in the near future to help guys like me to understand if we can continue to use what we have without any legal problems...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I am quite sure Cobb pulled the Stage 3 OTS tune because it is a flagrant violation of EPA rules. The EPA is cracking down on companies that provide products that violate EPA regulations. Derive (owner of SCT and Bulldog) was hit with a stiff fine and is required to to revise there products so as to not violate regulations. It is quite likely Cobb would not survive as a company if they were to be whacked with the same penalties.

The EPA is actually pushing to make it illegal to make any modification that violates regulations to any vehicle that was originally certified for road use even if it is a dedicated track only vehicle.

When it gets right down to it virtually all tunes with a few exceptions are illegal. The FP tune has a CARB executive order and is illegal and I heard MPT is starting to offer them but as far as I know Cobbs are all illegal.

Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am quite sure Cobb pulled the Stage 3 OTS tune because it is a flagrant violation of EPA rules. The EPA is cracking down on companies that provide products that violate EPA regulations. Derive (owner of SCT and Bulldog) was hit with a stiff fine and is required to to revise there products so as to not violate regulations. It is quite likely Cobb would not survive as a company if they were to be whacked with the same penalties.

The EPA is actually pushing to make it illegal to make any modification that violates regulations to any vehicle that was originally certified for road use even if it is a dedicated track only vehicle.

When it gets right down to it virtually all tunes with a few exceptions are illegal. The FP tune has a CARB executive order and is illegal and I heard MPT is starting to offer them but as far as I know Cobbs are all illegal.

Dave
This makes perfect sense. I finally found the money to have something I've always wanted, and as soon as I buy it and have all the mods done....
Should've known better.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This makes perfect sense. I finally found the money to have something I've always wanted, and as soon as I buy it and have all the mods done....
Should've known better.
I wouldn't let it get you down, hot rodding has always been a challenge. And for me, that's part of the fun!
Running 12s with a 400 cell OEM catalytic converter strapped under my Ecoboost with a stage 2 tune will be a challenge. But I'll just have to spend more time and money to get there. I've already started experimenting with my stock catalytic converter to fit 3" pipe...

And if anyone knows what are the different settings between stage 2 and stage 3, that would sure help!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have 10AT or manual trans?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts