Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’ve been looking to buy a new mustang ecoboost as a daily and then start to modifying it. Should i wait for the new one to come out or buy a used one. If so which year would be the best platform to eventually take it to the track.
Long question.

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
define "take it to the track". Different people say that and mean different things.

If you mean 1/4 mile drag strip, then '18+ automatic is what you're looking for. The 10 speed auto will be much quicker and consistent in that environment.

If you mean HPDE road course track, then personally I would say get a manual car, any year.

Styling wise, I'm partial to the front end of the '15-'17 cars, but the later ones are growing on me.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
In terms of best internal engine parts I would go with 2020 and up since they have the 2nd gen rods that are stronger than the rods in 15 to 19 ecos. Probably other little upgrades as well but for sure better rods.

BD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
define "take it to the track". Different people say that and mean different things.

If you mean 1/4 mile drag strip, then '18+ automatic is what you're looking for. The 10 speed auto will be much quicker and consistent in that environment.

If you mean HPDE road course track, then personally I would say get a manual car, any year.

Styling wise, I'm partial to the front end of the '15-'17 cars, but the later ones are growing on me.
In the long run i would like to go to the drag strip, i have no specific time i would like to hit.

i think the general consensus is 18+ or 2020+ because of the engine. Have they revamped the transmission between this two years?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE QUICK REPLY this motivates me knowing that the community is active.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I can't say that there are any real inherent trans issues although some on here have had some shifting harshness issues that some have had resolved and some not. With any mass-produced item there will be some bad ones get past quality control.

I have had no issues with my 2020 as of yet in 11,000 miles.

BD

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wanting to daily and then track. Best of both worlds!? 😜
I mean inherently it's impossible to get both right? Unless you're talking magneride that changes handling stiffness.

@Buldawg76 i thought they all shifted kinda harsh!? My 2020 vert in sport+ hesitates then lurches on downshift. Assume that's just how the dual clutch is 🤷 not to get off topic lol.

Tbh I feel like the new 2024 models look too soft!

I think you'd save a lot of money and have a solid platform to build on in a 2020ish model 😉

And welcome to the community no matter what you decide! 😊

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I mean inherently it's impossible to get both right? Unless you're talking magneride that changes handling stiffness.

@Buldawg76 i thought they all shifted kinda harsh!? My 2020 vert in sport+ hesitates then lurches on downshift. Assume that's just how the dual clutch is 🤷 not to get off topic lol.

I think you'd save a lot of money and have a solid platform to build on in a 2020ish model 😉

Mine in D is not harsh at all in upshifts or downshifts even skipping gears, in S it's a bit more solid shifting but not harsh by any means both up and down and no gear skipping. In S+, track or drag race its much firmer shifts that hold all the way to redline if your WOT thru the gears upshifting but no lurching or harshness when downshifting at closed throttle, if you're slowing and get back in the throttle it will sometimes lurch somewhat till it decides the correct gear for your throttle inputs, but I consider that my fault not the PCM strategy issue. I have no complaints about how my car shifts and would rather it be a solid firm shift than a weak soft shift. Weak and soft mean slipping clutches and short tranny life as compared to solid firm shifts.

BD

Reactions: gato26 and arni0202

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine in D is not harsh at all in upshifts or downshifts even skipping gears, in S it's a bit more solid shifting but not harsh by any means both up and down and no gear skipping. In S+, track or drag race its much firmer shifts that hold all the way to redline if your WOT thru the gears upshifting but no lurching or harshness when downshifting at closed throttle, if you're slowing and get back in the throttle it will sometimes lurch somewhat till it decides the correct gear for your throttle inputs, but I consider that my fault not the PCM strategy issue. I have no complaints about how my car shifts and would rather it be a solid firm shift than a weak soft shift. Weak and soft mean slipping clutches and short tranny life as compared to solid firm shifts.

BD
I do have to remind myself I came from a soft Korean auto transmission (2015 awd 3.8L genesis sedan) lol.
Maybe some day I'll try to record how my mustang shifts. It feels like it's in neutral and then slips into the down gear and I do feel the engine brake. More so than if u slide it in manually (I can shift like velvet 😉)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you for the advice, yeah i know its impossible to have the best of both world, maybe ford next gens will be motivated to do so, that would be sweet.

i saw the 2024 and it kind of looks like a camaro… and honestlyI can spot a mustang from a mile away the 2024 is deceiving.
From the other posts, i see that the platform that i should go with is the 2020+ model. The engine has stronger rods than previous year and still at a good price.

Thank you for welcoming into the community, I have been skeptical of the eco boost mustang since it came out, but going through the forums . This is the best platform overall, at least for me.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have been skeptical of the eco boost mustang since it came out, but going through the forums . This is the best platform overall, at least for me.
Have you driven one? Believe it or not, I purchased mine without ever driving one, because I was just committed to getting the four-cylinder turbo, but I don't believe that's good advice for everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply!
I run the 10R80 transmission and am well pleased with it after getting an aftermarket tune.

Reactions: Buldawg76

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Thank you for the advice, yeah i know its impossible to have the best of both world, maybe ford next gens will be motivated to do so, that would be sweet.

i saw the 2024 and it kind of looks like a camaro… and honestlyI can spot a mustang from a mile away the 2024 is deceiving.
From the other posts, i see that the platform that i should go with is the 2020+ model. The engine has stronger rods than previous year and still at a good price.

Thank you for welcoming into the community, I have been skeptical of the eco boost mustang since it came out, but going through the forums . This is the best platform overall, at least for me.
I agree! Camaro went through my mine at first glance also...!?

Reactions: arni0202

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have no regrets in buying my mustang, fun to drive and if you choose to can get 35 mpg from it easily. Tons of aftermarket parts and support for those of us with a need for speed.

BD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts