Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Mario and I am 18. I am thinking about buying a 2016 or 2017 mustang ecoboost premium. I would like to know about y'alls experience with the car because I hear about their engines blowing up. There are 2 mustang's I am interested in. Please tell me common problems with the car and about the engine as well as how to avoid it. I don't plan on making performance mods to it just visual mods.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
While there will always a be a small percentage of failures due to manufacturing errors, pretty much every engine failure has been related to-
Lugging the engine in high gear/ high boost low rpm causing low speed pre-ignition, different than detonation/knocking/pinging, LSPI happens while the piston is traveling up in its stroke trying to compress gasses, think instant hydrolock.
Low-speed pre-ignition - Wikipedia

Modifying the engine/tuning to produce more boost then the turbo can handle(boostmax performance plug in modules are bad for this)

Severe abuse/ neglect and bad/low octane fuel

Other factory related issues were minor things like the pcv system, was all corrected by mid 2016, currently the only concern is the low side fuel pressure sensor being not so reliable, it is a 30 dollar part that takes 5 minutes to change and the manual transmissions have cheap hydraulic clutch lines that can be replaced with an upgraded aftermarket line pretty cheap and the whole catch can thing for direct injection engines.

The head gasket plague of the Focus RS does not effect the mustang, the problem was found to be rather simple. Ford has a slightly different head design on the Focus RS motor that requires a specific head gasket that is very similar to the Mustang gasket but not the same, some fool at the factory was putting mustang head gaskets on the Focus motors.
sources
The Cause of the Ford Focus RS Head Gasket Issues Has Been Discovered
https://jalopnik.com/did-ford-install-the-wrong-head-gaskets-on-the-focus-rs-1821665968
Why the Ford Focus RS Is Having Head Gasket Issues

The only other thing I can think of is that the stereo can be a real hassle to upgrade especially if you have the shaker system option.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If you ever do want to tune the car but want safe, emissions legal and warranties this the main tune kit of choice-
2015-2017 MUSTANG 2.3L ECOBOOST PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION KIT

Roush has a kit that you can purchase an extra warranty with but it is more expensive.
https://www.roushperformance.com/2015-plus-mustang-roush-ecoboost-i4-power-pack-level-1.html

The reason I bring up the tunes is that these cars are so much more enjoyable to drive with a tune, Ford has an extremely conservative factory tune.
Sure the factory tune will run 87 octane but it will make the same power as a Ford escape and feel about as fast, and that 4500rpm power drop off feels horrible, imagine foot to the floor accelerating and suddenly the nose drops and the car stops pulling while the engine revs wildly like the car just slipped into neutral, meanwhile the jerk in the Honda beside you tells "vtec bro!" and pulls away...I shudder at the thought.

Fords advertised 310hp is only available with 93 octane in the tank, with 87 octane The car only makes 275hp and 300lbtq at the crank, with a 15% powertrain loss figured in that totals 233hp and 255lbtq at the wheels.
http://thenewswheel.com/2015-mustang-ecoboost-loses-35-horsepower-87-octane-fuel/

A ford racing tune with 91 octane in the tank should get you 270+hp and 320+lbtq at the wheels, even higher with 93, and there are also the gains in the powerband you get to enjoy especially beyond 4500rpm.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, back on the topic of purchasing...
My suggestion is to never buy from a dealer that charges a dealer fee. I had to call like 6 or 7 Ford dealerships until I found one that didn't charge a dealer fee. One of the dealers I called charges $1,000 as a dealer fee. That is INSANE that anybody would ever pay crap like that. Even if you have to drive an hour to 3 hours away. Hell, $1,000 bucks is a $1,000 bucks.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Also comp your prices.. While you state you're looking at 2016/17, do your homework on new 2018's. You may find after incentives and deals, you may walk away better.
Most issues are documented here on this forum:

Head Gaskets, Cylinder Head crack between 2nd & 3rd cylinder ---> typically because of an aggressive tune to increase torque and power. Do more moderate/conservative tunes, and you'll have a smile on your face and less risk of something going wrong.

AC Issues - Evap Core can leak causing a drop in cool air. Fix (if not under warranty) can be between $1500 and $2500. It's a known issue and affects more than just Ford's as the part is a 3rd party vendor.

Aside from that nothing else. Aside from the S550 EB have you looked into older S197 GT's? (2005 - 2009)? Those can be a barrel of fun fairly cheaply.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ever try changing spark plugs on a 2005-2009?
Yes I have! Guess what sits next to my 16 EB? :)
Well, in all honesty, the guys at my Ford Dealership did the plug change. I sat and watched. I got all my original plugs back and not one of them broke coming out... Sadly I paid the labor built into the 05-07 plug fiasco despite it only took one hour.

IMG_0322.JPG

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Hello my name is Mario and I am 18. I am thinking about buying a 2016 or 2017 mustang ecoboost premium. I would like to know about y'alls experience with the car because I hear about their engines blowing up. There are 2 mustang's I am interested in. Please tell me common problems with the car and about the engine as well as how to avoid it. I don't plan on making performance mods to it just visual mods.
. If you are not planning doing performance mods..you should be just fine . Especially with the 2016 or 17.. you really don't hear about too many failures with people only running stock. Even though my car is not stock and heavily modified with bolt ons I have not had any issues other than my backup camera sometimes not working.. a taillight that took on water damage and a tiny little bolt that leaked oil that was a easy fix..im . Currently at 72000 miles

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
. If you are not planning doing performance mods..you should be just fine . Especially with the 2016 or 17.. you really don't hear about too many failures with people only running stock. Even though my car is not stock and heavily modified with bolt ons I have not had any issues other than my backup camera sometimes not working.. a taillight that took on water damage and a tiny little bolt that leaked oil that was a easy fix..im . Currently at 72000 miles
Elvis, in just looking at your car it's pretty apparent it's heavily modified... and though off-topic for this thread, would you mind giving us a run-down of your mods please? I'm just curious, especially after you saying you have 72k on her, and haven't had any big issues.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Suspension mods
Eibach Sportline Springs
Steeda Tower brace
It's a performance pack so it already has upgraded rear sway bar and Cowl extension brace and and
Supposedly unique suspension tuning

Brake upgrades
Stoptech rotors all the way around
1 inch rear wheel spacers

Performance modifications
Mishimoto intercooler
Mishimoto hot and cold charge pipes
Turbosmart blow off valve
Air raid cold air intake
Steeda throttle body spacer
Mishimoto coolant expansion tank
UPR dual style catch can
Mishimoto catted performance downpipe
Resonator delete with y-pipe
With MagnaFlow competition mufflers
Denso iridium plugs
Cobb stage 3
And I use Mobil 1 full synthetic

Body appearance and modifications
Window tint
. Gloss black vinyl roof mirrors and Hood and bumper
Hydro dip side skirts .grills rear. diffusers . Radiator cover engine cover air intake box
Roush rear side window scoops
Roush rear spoiler
Roush hood scoop
Drake heat extractors
Raxiom sequential turn signals
Raxiom 4th brake light
Ikon Motorsports Bottom Grill with drls
Ford Mustang emblem that lights up
Roush winglets
Mmd trunk panel
Mmd rear splash shields
Drake fuel door cover
Diode LED side markers and interior bulbs

Interior modifications
Hydro dipped window pillars
Hydro dipped center console
Hydro dipped Dash
Hydro dip door stills
Custom toggle switch upgrade
Drake pedals
Mmd start button cover
Starkey proformance Illuminating floor light
Some miscellaneous Anchor Room vinyl

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That's an amazing list Elvis... truly amazing. What's your best 0-60 time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts