Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

Looking to Purchase A 2020 Mustang Ecoboost (and could use a little help)

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  MrScharfenberger 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I'm looking for a little help, I'm looking into purchasing a new 2020 Mustang Ecoboost and i see the msrp on it is around $26,000.I'm going into a local ford dealership and i already know the only features i want on it are the security package and the black accent package, which from my research will cost me around $1400 combined. im wondering if i looking to get this car around $22,000-$23,00 price point is something you guys think might be achievable for me? I'm also wondering if you guys think i should look for a 2019 or just wait till the 2021's come out? thanks any info will help!

#2 ·
Sorry. I haven't looked at new car pricing in some time. But my question is: Are the 2021's NOT OUT yet?? Shouldn't they have been out as of about September/October? Did COVID slow this down? Because that's the usual pace. USUALLY, you can't find previous calendar year (2020) on "new car lots" once the new calendar year (2021) rolls around, because the dealers have cleared them out to make way for the current year models.

That being said. It is EXTREMELY HARD to get a new car, with the exact options you want, at a 'reduced' price. Usually, once the dealer sniffs out that you are being peculiar about exactly what you want, he/she will hunt it down for you....but charge you a premium to do so. You either have to get lucky that they have it on the lot, or do a lot of leg work, find it, and somehow NOT LET ON that this is the only car you're interested in. Because the dealer will use your specific interest to their advantage and basically hold it hostage.

When I want a car, at a certain color, with a certain option package, I usually ravage the used car media (carmax, hhgreg, autotrader, etc) looking for it with low miles (less than 10K). You will usually find a better and EASIER deal than trying to pry that one new car that you want from a dealer's hands when he knows that its exactly what you want.

Looking forward to your answer in paragraph 1, because I'm honestly curious now.

#5 ·
Should be easy enough to accomplish. Dealers are trying to move the 2020s off their lot right now. I just purchased a 2020 mustang eco-boost premium HPP and handling package for $8K under MSRP. What I did, knowing what options I wanted, I took the time to search all the dealerships for what I was looking for. I found two that had what I wanted, they were just different colors. While working with the one closest to home(With the color I wanted), I called the other and asked them if they would come to a certain price when they said they would, I used that to let my dealership know it was gonna be this price or I was going to go get the other one. Done deal! 😁

#6 ·
Hmmmm. Interesting. Much like August/September is usually the optimal time to buy the previous year's models (because dealers want them off the lot to make way for next year's during the whole winter sales rush)....maybe, due to this COVID year, right now is actually that 'optimal' time, since the 2021s are supposed to be coming in during the spring, like the OP mentioned. Truecar used to be a hellavu tool to let you know what dealers are letting cars go for in your area, but the last time i went to use it, 3 years ago....it had lost a lot of its luster from a decade ago. You could give it a try. Just plug in the car and the options and it should give you an idea of what to expect to pay. I think the major change now, is that you can't request a truecar quote without actually giving your info to dealerships. You used to be able to do it anonymously, just to compare and look around. So be prepared for an influx of phone calls if that's still the case.

It does take time, patience, & gaming as @Rjstevens noted. It all depends on the dealer. Sometimes, if you play the 'this dealer is gonna give it to me for this price' game, they will say 'go right ahead' because they feel they can get another sucker in there soon enough and they won't play the same hardball. Miami is known for sucker buyers, so its a very rough game down here. I'd never characterize buying a new car at 8K under MSRP as 'easy'. But its not an impossibility either.

I bought my Mustang 'used' with 5K miles, because it had exactly the package I was looking for. But I also bought my wife's RAV4 brand new, about 1K under dealer cost...using the same technique of 'right time to buy previous year's models', contacting every Toyota dealer, and playing hardball over email for close to a month...before I got one to bite. I showed up at the dealership about an hour and half before they closed (never go to a dealership early!). The dealership was also about 30 miles away from my house. I told them if they didn't stick to the deal they promised over email, they'd never see me again, but that I was a willing buyer right there, and right now, at the price agreed upon. It was dicey. But they agreed. It feels good to get a great deal, but it requires patience that's for sure.

#8 ·
I don't see you getting it that cheap. I got an absolute base model on the Ford A plan in 2015 for $22,882. (The Ford A plan is what you get if your an employee. I'm not. Father in law is. I used one of his 3 yearly vouchers). I think $25,000 may be doable but I'm just a guy with an opinion not a dealership. Good luck with the hunt. They are nice cars.

#13 ·
Yeah, but that was 2015, this is 2020. I'm not sure the comparison is valid. The A-plan is not the best discount in all cases (I'm a Ford employee), dealer incentives can be the best discount if its end of year and the dealer has vehicles they have not been able to sell. I purchased one last December and got both of the above discounts (although I had to surrender the dealer incentive discount to get an interest rate on financing of 0% APR). I agree with you that $25K is doable, but not for a new 2020 model.

#10 · (Edited)
Depends on the dealership and sales manager sometimes owner. Know your incentives and rebates that ford will pay them upon sale. Estimate their profits before incentives (25k car is probably around 3k) as they are all profits(the incentives that is) for the dealer but be fair they do need to make some profit. Go in with your maximum price and offer lower so you have room to move up making them feel they are budging you. Enjoy the negotiating and have fun with the salesman doing the back and forth with the sales manager and play with them on the 4 square they use (this makes my wife nervous). Especially the "if we can get this will you buy today sign here" sheet of paper adjust the price to meet your goals and ask them to sign with you "neither signature is binding". Show you are ready willing and that you are able to buy but are absolutely ready to walk if your price isn't met and really yourself to do so. Oh while doing this do it with a few different dealerships. Some will budge some wont. Some will today some won't but will tomorrow. And negotiating may take a week or more of phone calls and texting or emails. I have several of those logged from my last transaction. Oh and search and communicate with dealers from 100 miles or so away whatever you are comfortable to drive. Search auto trader for them. Different cars and years Different dealerships respond differently.

26k msrp i researched incentives didn't see many for my zip at the moment.

Worked right and a willing dealerships 24k but that would drop if you had incentives that could be added. With incentives and good haggling could be 1-2 maybe 3k less depending on the incentives.

Incentives if used correctly gives a little more haggle room to get dealerships to drop from their profits as the Incentives increase their profits they have more room to move.

Oh and finally while yes a dealerships if they charge 1 person doc fees they have to everyone by law (reverse is true if they don't charge someone they can't anyone) you can negotiate the doc fees out of the purchase price of the vehicle. It Will still be listed as a fee but car purchase is lower.

#12 ·
I think its highly unachievable because:
1. The cars on the lot that the dealer ordered will have a lot more options (eg. auto transmission, nav system, etc.) because profit will be higher for them. You CAN negotiate on those unsold cars but the msrp total will be much higher because of the extra options you didn't want.
2. To get EXACTLY what you want, ordering from the factory would be required. I'm not sure its even possible to order a 2020 model now that we're in Feburary of 2021 but even if you CAN, the dealer won't give any discount. You want to pay $22-$23K for an msrp of $26K + $1,400 = $27.4K - $23K = $4,400 discount!

The only way you're going to get a discount like that in my opinion is either by being a Ford employee on the A-plan like I am (and I would not get $4K off the base model that's only $26K), OR negotiate on a 2020 vehicle still sitting unsold on the lot with dealer incentives. BUT, those unsold vehicles will tend to be more expensive because they'll be fully loaded with options. I got more than a $4K discount on mine, but that was with the A-plan plus dealer incentives on an ecoboost premium with extra options added in with an msrp of around $39K.

If your price range is no more than $23K then looking a used mustangs (2019 or even 2018), might be your best option. Good luck, I hope you succeed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.