Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I will keep it as short and simple.

I have base (non PP) 2018 EcoBoost.

Part of the look that I am trying to achieve is nice big red calipers. So already, probably talking Brembo's

Thing is, I am new to cars, and I am trying to read and research on upgrading.

So first and foremost, I wanna mention that money/budget/economical is not the highest concern on my list. Now, I am not saying I am gonna spend like $5k on GT500 brake system or something, but I am willing to spend some money.

I saw this set:

Now, I am assuming that this isnt as simple as buy the kit, install at shop and all done.

From my understanding, nonPP EcoBoost is 2 piston front, 1 piston rear. So I guess I am wondering, what do I need to purchase in order to be able to install a 6 piston caliper on my stock 2 piston setup?

And honestly, as I mentioned, I am new to this, so if there is anything else I would need that is not in the kit, let me know please. I plan to get 19' wheels soon, and shortly there after I would like to upgrade the brakes.

In the future, I plan to start working under the hood. I only just recently got this car and have extended drivetrain warranty, so all the fun stuff will be held to a much later date. In the meantime, I have just done aesthetic changes, after market exhaust and intake.

Anyway, any help toward this goal to get some nice big red caliper brakes would be much appreciated!

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2020 EU Model
9 Posts
If you want to move to a big brake kit as any M-2300-x kit from Ford you should definitely move to 19" or bigger wheels first.
4-6 piston calipers with 14/15" rotors may not fit into 18" wheels.

Then review the installation instructions for your kit, for example:

CJPonyParts states that this 6 pistons kits is not directly compatible with non-PP EBs, as your have to source first new spindles and knuckles (I'm not able to confirm all details, I started with a PP model).

Finally, remember to properly bleed your brakes before driving.

You may also want to look into upgrading stock brake lines to braided steel ones and employ racing brake fluid, depending on how much you plan to continuously stress your braking system.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I guess it depends on what your end goals are. If you simply want a decent upgrade, you can look for take-off GT brakes, as they are Econboost PP brakes. They are bolt on, although I believe you need to ensure you get GT hoses. From what I have read here, they are readily available and usually are complete, as GT people uprate their brakes. If you are patient, you will get a set with virtually no mileage on them for a good price. I know you stated that cost is not an issue, but remember what you save here can be applied elsewhere to your upgrades. Those brakes will fit an 18" wheel. I have read here that this is a good upgrade and you would probably be very happy with it. If you are wanting even larger brakes (for the look, or for track purposes), then you are into something like suggested above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to move to a big brake kit as any M-2300-x kit from Ford you should definitely move to 19" or bigger wheels first.
4-6 piston calipers with 14/15" rotors may not fit into 18" wheels.

Then review the installation instructions for your kit, for example:

CJPonyParts states that this 6 pistons kits is not directly compatible with non-PP EBs, as your have to source first new spindles and knuckles (I'm not able to confirm all details, I started with a PP model).

Finally, remember to properly bleed your brakes before driving.

You may also want to look into upgrading stock brake lines to braided steel ones and employ racing brake fluid, depending on how much you plan to continuously stress your braking system.

This is the part that confuses me. It says that it is not directly compatible with nonPP EB's from 2015-2017. Mine is a 2018. But above it says it fits 2015-2021 PP EB. So my 2018 falls into neither criteria, so I am lost.

But assuming mine falls in the category that I need new spindles and knuckles, can I get help on that? I am just learning cars and I am trying to figure out what it is I am looking for?

I found this, but I am wondering, are the knuckles only for front, or are there for back as well? Also guessing I need these for the back:

Just trying to figure this out. I wont be doing any full brake upgrade until early next year, so trying to get a jump on it now.

And I will be getting 20inch wheels with plenty of Offset.

·
Super Moderator
6,434 Posts
I found this, but I am wondering, are the knuckles only for front, or are there for back as well? Also guessing I need these for the back:

Those hubs aren't going to have anything to do with the brakes. They are for upgrading the studs and replacing the wheel bearings. You won't be able to use closed lug nuts on them as the studs are >3" long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts