Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 2018 Mustang EB Base, which I bought new in Aug 2018. I don't drive it regularly so it has 9043 miles on the odometer. Decided to rotate my tires today for the first time. The wheels have never been removed until today. Found that all the lug nuts were relatively loose. I mean, it took only about 40-50 lb. ft. of torque to break the lug nuts loose! After rotating, I torqued all the lug nuts to 125 lb. ft. I know the spec calls for 150 lb.ft., but I think 125 is sufficient. It's interesting to note that my squeaking no longer squeak after re-torquing to 125 lb. ft. So folks, it's probably a good idea to re-torquing your lug nuts every so often.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Car is a 2018 Mustang EB Base, which I bought new in Aug 2018. I don't drive it regularly so it has 9043 miles on the odometer. Decided to rotate my tires today for the first time. The wheels have never been removed until today. Found that all the lug nuts were relatively loose. I mean, it took only about 40-50 lb. ft. of torque to break the lug nuts loose! After rotating, I torqued all the lug nuts to 125 lb. ft. I know the spec calls for 150 lb.ft., but I think 125 is sufficient. It's interesting to note that my squeaking no longer squeak after re-torquing to 125 lb. ft. So folks, it's probably a good idea to re-torquing your lug nuts every so often.
I meant to write: "that my squeaking brakes no longer squeak after re-torquing to 125 lb. ft."

·
Registered
283 Posts
The factory installed lug nuts on my new 2021 that I picked up on July 2nd were no where near 150 ft-lbs. Maybe 100 and if that.

I put it up on jack stands and yanked them off to install ZL1 Addons stone guards and do a couple of other things, so was at maybe 500 miles tops.

Did the same to my 2016 when it was new, but don't remember how tight they were.

Doug

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The factory installed lug nuts on my new 2021 that I picked up on July 2nd were no where near 150 ft-lbs. Maybe 100 and if that.

I put it up on jack stands and yanked them off to install ZL1 Addons stone guards and do a couple of other things, so was at maybe 500 miles tops.

Did the same to my 2016 when it was new, but don't remember how tight they were.

Doug
Not to change the subject, but last May I rented a 2021 Mustang EB with PP when visiting Austin, TX. It had 17" alloy wheels with W-speed rated radials. It handled so much better than my 2018 base that came with 17" H-speed rated radials. Tires make such a big difference in handling. The standard collision avoidance system was a really nice feature too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to change the subject, but last May I rented a 2021 Mustang EB with PP when visiting Austin, TX. It had 17" alloy wheels with W-speed rated radials. It handled so much better than my 2018 base that came with 17" H-speed rated radials. Tires make such a big difference in handling. The standard collision avoidance system was a really nice feature too.
Correction: "my 2018 base that came with 16" H-speed rated radials."

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Correction: "my 2018 base that came with 16" H-speed rated radials."
Since the beginning of the S550 release the base Ecoboost came with 17" wheels with 18" or 19" as an option. Ecoboost premiums came with 18" wheels or 19" and 20" as an option. All performance package Ecoboost Mustangs whether the car was a base or premium came with 19" wheels.

No Ecoboost Mustang ever came from the factory with 16" wheels and no PP came with 17" wheels. If you have something else then it was switched by the previous owner or the dealer.

Also, the PP cars come with summer tires and both my 15 and 17 were Y rated for 186 mph.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the beginning of the S550 release the base Ecoboost came with 17" wheels with 18" or 19" as an option. Ecoboost premiums came with 18" wheels or 19" and 20" as an option. All performance package Ecoboost Mustangs whether the car was a base or premium came with 19" wheels.

No Ecoboost Mustang ever came from the factory with 16" wheels and no PP came with 17" wheels. If you have something else then it was switched by the previous owner or the dealer.

Also, the PP cars come with summer tires and both my 15 and 17 were Y rated for 186 mph.

My bad! Thanks for setting me straight. My rims are 17" with stock all-season H-speed rated radials.

The car that I rented in Austin had 18" rims with W-speed rated summer radials. Big improvement in handling here!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought my 2020 new in June of 2020, 30K on it now ( I drive the hell out of it ) and every 5K I have the wheels rotated along with a oil change and EVERYTHING checked for just $45 by a Ford dealership in Lockhart, TX that’s been in business for 98 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought my 2020 new in June of 2020, 30K on it now ( I drive the hell out of it ) and every 5K I have the wheels rotated along with a oil change and EVERYTHING checked for just $45 by a Ford dealership in Lockhart, TX that’s been in business for 98 years.
That's a great deal! I think Ford recommends rotating tires every 6000 miles, but I fell behind their recommended maintenance schedule a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,429 Posts
It's up on a rack for an oil change, best to rotate at that time anyway.
I do check torque on the street cars every so often.

·
Registered
877 Posts
When I do the seasonal change I do torque to the 150 lbs called for in the manual. I always re-torque after a few weeks of driving (I think the suggested interval is 500 km). I have never noticed much, if any, take up on re-torquing, nor have I ever had any wheel nuts back off from the correct torque, on any of the vehicles, at least not so much that it was obvious when removing them.

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
Every time anyone other than me removes a wheel from my car, I loosen and re-torque the lugs. Most shops don't realize that the factory spec on our cars is 150 lbft, so do it to the usual 100 that they do most other cars. It doesn't matter to me why the wheel was removed it gets re-torqued to 150 lbft. Having watched the wheels fall off a Mustang that didn't have them properly torqued (and had cheapo aluminum lugs) I don't take any chances with it.

Reactions: MD18EcoStang

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think Ford is afraid to put 150 lb ft of torque to their shiny capped lug nuts.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have never had an issue torquing the stainless capped lug nuts to 150 ft-lbs. I have more issues over the years with damaging chrome plated steel fasteners resulting in rust formation.

FWIW, assuming there is no rust or loctite in the threads the torque required to loosen a fastener is going to be around 10% lower than what it was tightened to. Conversely it will take more torque to get the fastener to move again than what it was originally torqued to, this is called breakaway torque.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have never had an issue torquing the stainless capped lug nuts to 150 ft-lbs.
Neither have I, but a body shop tech who obviously didn't care enough to pay attention to what he was doing, deformed a set of mine - all from one wheel. So, technically not Ford's fault, but it's frustrating that this can happen so easily. I get it - Ford saves pennies on each, and when you multiply that times 20+ lug nuts per vehicle, it adds up. I replaced mine with a set of solid lug nuts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts