Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have small chips in front bumper in my '16 Ruby Red.

But I'm a bit hesitant to buy the touch-up pen that the dealership offers.

Has anybody used the pen, or a different kit to fill those chips?

thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've never had much luck with those things.

FYI, copying the same post into several sub-forums is generally frowned upon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My brother had an issue when he tried to touch up a spot in his new Ruby GT bumper. I think the damage was a little bigger than a typical rock chip. He is pretty handy with such things but IIRC, it went bad when he wet sanded after he used touch up paint and he ended up having the bumper repainted. I may be wrong on this, but I think the issue may have been that there was an extra tinted red coat or else the clear coat had a tint, which he said was part of the reason for the extra cost for Ruby Red. I know it was something different than the typical color base coat and clear topcoat.

Anyway, I hope someone else can report success and provide you tips using Ruby Red touchup paint pens on chips. Based on my brother's experience, I wouldn't wet sand the area in any way - just fill the chips. Good luck!

edit: I have had pretty good luck touching up small chips in other colors (including my Lightning Blue) with the touchup pens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother had an issue when he tried to touch up a spot in his new Ruby GT bumper. I think the damage was a little bigger than a typical rock chip. He is pretty handy with such things but IIRC, it went bad when he wet sanded after he used touch up paint and he ended up having the bumper repainted. I may be wrong on this, but I think the issue may have been that there was an extra tinted red coat or else the clear coat had a tint, which he said was part of the reason for the extra cost for Ruby Red. I know it was something different than the typical color base coat and clear topcoat.

Anyway, I hope someone else can report success and provide you tips using Ruby Red touchup paint pens on chips. Based on my brother's experience, I wouldn't wet sand the area in any way - just fill the chips. Good luck!

edit: I have had pretty good luck touching up small chips in other colors (including my Lightning Blue) with the touchup pens.
Oh god, Yeah I read that this paint has a tinted clear coat of some sort. I also read that some wet sanded in really really small patches; apparently someone did holes in a 2000 grit sand paper with a hole puncher; then use the eraser part of pencils and wet sanded the spots once it was finished. BUT I'm scared of how they would look like at the end of the day. Especially now that I have ceramic coated the car; I would have to remove the coating and reapply once it's finished.

Thanks for the update!

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
Tri coat paint.
1. base coat in Ruby Red
2. intercoat -- tinted clear with Ruby Red
3. clear coat

About $1200 for a gallon of the three. Not a cheap and not an easy spray to match. This is why you have issues with touch ups.

Edit: found these instructions for the application of touch up paints ... Good info contained herein for both 2 and 3 stage paints.
Touch Up Paint Directions | AutomotiveTouchup

Reactions: zhent

·
Registered
188 Posts
See my post on the “pimple” thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts