Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've had the eco, my gas mileage has always been around 14-15 miles per gallon. The only time it really goes higher than that is when I'm on the highway. I live in Woodbridge Virginia, and there's lots of traffic congestion so that may be a factor but I'm still not sure if that's a normal rate for city driving. In terms of driving style, I definitely take off quick and drive fast, but I've read members say they put their foot into the gas and still get 17-19 mpgs. I have a K&N drop in air filter, and use 93 octane gas. My car is the base model, automatic no performance package, and I always drive in D. So far I have 5,400 miles. Is this gas mileage normal?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ever since I've had the eco, my gas mileage has always been around 14-15 miles per gallon. The only time it really goes higher than that is when I'm on the highway. I live in Woodbridge Virginia, and there's lots of traffic congestion so that may be a factor but I'm still not sure if that's a normal rate for city driving. In terms of driving style, I definitely take off quick and drive fast, but I've read members say they put their foot into the gas and still get 17-19 mpgs. I have a K&N drop in air filter, and use 93 octane gas. My car is the base model, automatic no performance package, and I always drive in D. So far I have 5,400 miles. Is this gas mileage normal?
Whoa, if that's all I got I'd trade back for a GT, at least have the power since you're paying for it. I get usually 24 in the city, maybe occasionally if I'm in a really "drive it hard mode", it might drop to 22 or 23.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How far is your commute everyday? Over the last 3k miles I've only averaged 15.9mpg, but I live literally a thousand feet from where I work so I never give the car a chance to gain decent gas mileage. However when I travel on the highway I've seen it as high as 34mpg so I know it's nothing the car is doing wrong.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It has a bunch to do with how you drive, traffic and if the car ever gets to operating temperature. Some say the autos hurt mileage, but mine is a six speed with the 3.31 gears and my City mileage is around 25 mpg and highway 34. I have got as much as 36 highway once. Lowest was around 23, but i was hot rodding around.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How far is your commute everyday? Over the last 3k miles I've only averaged 15.9mpg, but I live literally a thousand feet from where I work so I never give the car a chance to gain decent gas mileage. However when I travel on the highway I've seen it as high as 34mpg so I know it's nothing the car is doing wrong.
I go to school throughout the week, and it's only a 4.3 mile drive. I also sit in the car a lot while it's running, so that may be a factor. I've made around 30 on the highway before, I'm just concerned about whether or not there's an issue with the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
I go to school throughout the week, and it's only a 4.3 mile drive
There's your issue. Engine's not warmed up all the way on such a short drive, when it's cold it runs richer and uses more fuel per mile.

(and idling to warm it up isn't the answer either. Burns up fuel and doesn't travel any miles :) )

·
Registered
94 Posts
There's your issue. Engine's not warmed up all the way on such a short drive, when it's cold it runs richer and uses more fuel per mile.

(and idling to warm it up isn't the answer either. Burns up fuel and doesn't travel any miles :) )
Yep, that's my exact issue as well. Hopefully switching careers soon so my compute will be a little longer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Short trip + not reaching operating temperature + idling for long periods of time = lower mpg.

·
Super Moderator
6,074 Posts
Yep, that's my exact issue as well. Hopefully switching careers soon so my compute will be a little longer.
bicycle.

Win.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m getting 26 in my 2015 Eco in the city and the traffic is horrible where I live. I get on it every so often but your mpg is very low. Have you looked at your plugs, they may be fouled. Try a lower octane as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m getting 26 in my 2015 Eco in the city and the traffic is horrible where I live. I get on it every so often but your mpg is very low. Have you looked at your plugs, they may be fouled. Try a lower octane as well.
I haven't checked them yet but I'm buying some pre gapped ngk plugs soon.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Remember sitting and idling = zero mpg with only a 4 mile commute that zero mpg becomes a significant portion of the overall mileage.

Try driving for a while with the center display set for instantanious mileage and you will soon understand what is killing your mileage.

Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Remember sitting and idling = zero mpg with only a 4 mile commute that zero mpg becomes a significant portion of the overall mileage.

Try driving for a while with the center display set for instantanious mileage and you will soon understand what is killing your mileage.

Dave
That's the thing, I've driven it for hours at a time and the mileage on the center display goes down every 30 seconds to a minute I'm at a stop light. Straight to school is a 4 mile drive, but I most days that isn't my only commute.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's the thing, I've driven it for hours at a time and the mileage on the center display goes down every 30 seconds to a minute I'm at a stop light. Straight to school is a 4 mile drive, but I most days that isn't my only commute.
It depends on how often you reset that counter too. If you reset it every fillup, it has less overall data to calculate on and will be hit with fluctuations more quickly (though it'll still average out pretty well, mine has always been ~1mpg higher than actual, I think due to the Performance Pack), and the longer you let it calculate the less immediate impact you'll notice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It depends on how often you reset that counter too. If you reset it every fillup, it has less overall data to calculate on and will be hit with fluctuations more quickly (though it'll still average out pretty well, mine has always been ~1mpg higher than actual, I think due to the Performance Pack), and the longer you let it calculate the less immediate impact you'll notice.
How often do you reset your meter? I normally reset the second meter every fill up and have left meter 1 running since i got the car. The mpg on meter 1 is 17.9.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's what I do too. I've averaged 28.3 since I bought the car, and I can compare how each tank is doing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How are you averaging 28.3? I haven't been pushing mine because its still below 1000 miles but My average is 21.2 MPG.

I also do the two different meters, one for each fill up and another for since I got the car. Thought I was the only one that cared enough but I see I am not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts