Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2018 Ecoboost Base Model w/10 Spd Auto Trans
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
I'm looking to do my routine oil change this weekend hopefully. And under the hood i've noticed the coolant is below MIN. Which worries me. I bought some 50/50 coolant and when I was about to add some I did a quick google search just in case and it so happened that they said not to mix coolants. So i'm unsure of what to do in this situation. Should I do a full coolant flush while i'm changing my oil? Or can someone direct me to the proper coolant I can just add to fill up. Also, what oil are you guys running? I'd like to know what brands to avoid and what to look out for. Thanks!

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Motorcraft! Available at your local Ford dealership and most Auto Parts stores.

Also, check your owners manual about how often you should flush your coolant system.

PS: Since your car is 5 years old and your not the original owner, you may want to do a coolant system pressure check, before getting too involved in any type of maintenance.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motorcraft! Available at your local Ford dealership and most Auto Parts stores.
Also, check your owners manual about how often you should flush your coolant system.
It saids way more miles than I have. I just don't know if I can add coolant because I don't know what has been added to it. If its owners manual compliant or not

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
It saids way more miles than I have. I just don't know if I can add coolant because I don't know what has been added to it. If its owners manual compliant or not
Good thinking, your coolant system could have contaminated fluid. I recommend during a system pressure check to confirm your leak free, then flush and refill with Motorcraft fluids.

Reactions: Buldawg76

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thinking, your coolant system could have contaminated fluid. I recommend during a system pressure check to confirm your leak free, then flush and refill with Motorcraft fluids.
I'll do that! Do I need any specific one or does any part store one work just fine, for that pressure check? Never worked on cars too much. Quite new!

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I'll do that! Do I need any specific one or does any part store one work just fine, for that pressure check? Never worked on cars too much. Quite new!
It's been so many years since I've had to do a pressure test and when I did, I just used stuff I had around my shop.
They probably make a nice kit these days. And you may want to check if your local auto store has a tool borrowing program.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Here's the levels as of today. Looks much lower than when I first checked. Car hasn't noticed any problems today. Also a brief check on the dipstick showed the oil to be low too. Don't have many tools. What should I do?

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
View attachment 44183
Here's the levels as of today. Looks much lower than when I first checked. Car hasn't noticed any problems today. Also a brief check on the dipstick showed the oil to be low too. Don't have many tools. What should I do?
Time to pressure check the coolant system!
Advance Auto has a pressure kit on their website, check your local stores to see if they will loan it to you.
Gadget Camera accessory Font Output device Cameras & optics

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Time to pressure check the coolant system!
Advance Auto has a pressure kit on their website, check your local stores to see if they will loan it to you.
View attachment 44185
Yeah I suppose I can't hold off much longer. Doesn't seem to hard. What's the PSI rating for an operating motor about 15? That's what a video guide I saw did on an '07 pickup.
And go about a normal oil and filter replacement? What if the pressure kit doesn't show any leaks? I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before I go down the rabbit hole of working on cars.
Thanks

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Yeah I suppose I can't hold off much longer. Doesn't seem to hard. What's the PSI rating for an operating motor about 15? That's what a video guide I saw did on an '07 pickup.
And go about a normal oil and filter replacement? What if the pressure kit doesn't show any leaks? I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before I go down the rabbit hole of working on cars.
Thanks
I don't remember what pressure I used... it's been many years. I used to carry a textbook of my Father's back then, that's all we had.
Then when they starting selling paperback manuals, we thought we had the automotive world by the tail!
Now we have the internet and YouTube... !??

As for how much pressure, I'd start low and for short periods of time, then work your way up in pressure, for a longer period.

Try and watch a few videos and/or pick up a Ford Repair Manual off eBay.
Photograph Product Font Hat Cap

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't remember what pressure I used... it's been many years. I used to carry a textbook of my Father's back then, that's all we had.
Then when they starting selling paperback manuals, we thought we had the automotive world by the tail!
Now we have the internet and YouTube... !??

As for how much pressure, I'd start low and for short periods of time, then work your way up in pressure, for a longer period.

Try and watch a few videos and/or pick up a Ford Repair Manual off eBay.
View attachment 44186
Awesome. Thank you! Also, I bought the car in November at Carmax. And I still have the 90 day 4000 mile warranty they offer with every purchase. And can get it looked at and fixed with no cost to me. Do you think I should go that?

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Here is fords test procedure.

Cooling System Pressure Test
WARNING: Always allow the engine to cool before opening the cooling system. Do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap when the engine is operating or the cooling system is hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly. Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury.
NOTE:
Vehicles have a pressure relief cap on the degas bottle and no radiator cap.
  1. Turn the engine OFF.
  1. Check the engine coolant level and adjust as necessary.
  1. Remove the degas bottle cap. Inspect the degas bottle cap and degas bottle for any issues that would cause improper sealing, such as for cross-threading, burrs, damaged o-ring, etc. If any issues are found, INSTALL a new cap and/or degas bottle.
  1. Attach the Pressure Tester and adaptor (Snap-On TA53 or equivalent), to the degas bottle cap. The cap must hold pressure of 145 kPa +/- 21 kPa (21 PSI +/- 3 PSI). If any issues are found, INSTALL a new cap.
  1. Attach the Pressure Tester and adaptor (Snap-On TA52, AST ASSFZ-47, Redline RDL95-0750 or equivalent) to the degas bottle.
Open In New TabZoom/Print

NOTICE: Do not pressurize the cooling system beyond the maximum pressure listed in the specifications table in this section, or cooling system components can be damaged.
NOTE:
If the plunger of the pressure tester is pressed too fast, an erroneous pressure reading will result.
  1. To pressurize the engine cooling system, slowly press the plunger of the pressure test pump and increase the pressure to between 124 - 138 kPa (18 - 20 PSI). Observe the gauge reading for approximately 2 minutes. Pressure should not drop during this time. If the pressure drops within this time, inspect for leaks and repair as necessary.
  1. If no leaks are found and the pressure drops, the leak may be internal to the engine. Inspect the coolant for engine oil and the engine oil for coolant.
    REFER to: Engine (303-00 Engine System - General Information, Diagnosis and Testing) .
  1. If the pressure does not drop remove the cooling system Pressure Tester and adaptor from degas bottle.
  1. Install the degas bottle cap until it contacts the hard stop.
This is the coolant you should use or one that meets the same specs.

Materials
NameSpecification
Motorcraft® Orange Prediluted Antifreeze/Coolant
VC-3DIL-B
WSS-M97B44-D2
Motorcraft® Orange Concentrated Antifreeze/Coolant
VC-3-B
WSS-M97B44-D

BD

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Remember, when checking that level the coolant needs to be at the same temperature as it was the last time you checked it. So if you checked it an hour after driving it one day and stone cold another, you would likely have a variance in level. In any event, where it is in your photo is low and it should be topped up to the minimum. You can pressure test as suggested or monitor the level (daily) after topping up. Mine is a little low, but has been so since new and remains constant which points to poor dealer prep. I just don’t want to spend $30 for a jug to put a cup of coolant in.

· Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Something you guys can give me some feedback on!
When I relocated my coolant reservoir tank, I lost a little coolant. And after completing the modification, I topped the tank off, with "distilled water".
Would you advise "Justcallmepleb" to do the same, weather permitting!?

· Registered
1,656 Posts
Distilled water is good as long as you don't have to add so much that it will affect the 50/50 mix ratio which could allow for possible freezing of the water in northern climates. You can buy relatively cheap testers to determine the freeze rating of your coolant mix in the engine so you know it will be sufficient for the area you live.

BD

· Registered
18 Posts
I would watch that fluid level very carefully. If it continues to drop, you either have a defective cap, a leak (hoses, clamps?) or worst case, a blown head gasket.

It may be advisable to get Carmax, with their 90 day warranty, involved. At least get the concern on record so that they will repair it if it's a head gasket.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would watch that fluid level very carefully. If it continues to drop, you either have a defective cap, a leak (hoses, clamps?) or worst case, a blown head gasket.

It may be advisable to get Carmax, with their 90 day warranty, involved. At least get the concern on record so that they will repair it if it's a head gasket.
UPDATE:
Took it to Carmax. And asked them to check it out. They took it back and found no leaks or issues and said they'll top it off and refer me to Ford as part of warrenty to dive deeper in. Since then, it's maintained constant fill of "High" and hasn't moved in any way in various forms of warmth. (Cold start, After driving, after cooling off) I will take them up on it and have Ford look while i'm still covered. And will also ask to look at my transmission that has a tough time downshifting. (10 SPD Auto , Down shifts are rough and jerky) And will see what they say. She drives great, constant perfection in temp, and have no issues displaying on the dash)
Thanks for all the help!

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:
Took it to Carmax. And asked them to check it out. They took it back and found no leaks or issues and said they'll top it off and refer me to Ford as part of warrenty to dive deeper in. Since then, it's maintained constant fill of "High" and hasn't moved in any way in various forms of warmth. (Cold start, After driving, after cooling off) I will take them up on it and have Ford look while i'm still covered. And will also ask to look at my transmission that has a tough time downshifting. (10 SPD Auto , Down shifts are rough and jerky) And will see what they say. She drives great, constant perfection in temp, and have no issues displaying on the dash)
Thanks for all the help!
UPDATE:
Took it to CarMax. Basically told me to fuck off, more politely. And said my car shows no leaks. Topped it off and sent me on my way. Car was fine for a few days. Chilling at "High" throughout. So I stopped checking. About 5 days later, I remembered, and popped my hood. It has since dropped to just over "MIN". And not a single drop has ever been spotted. Car is in 2 places at all times. Work or home. So I'm not leaning towards failing head gasket. I will do a pressure test this Sunday. But can't really do much more with my limitations and tool limitations. I can go ahead and buy a camera to inspect the heads? Oil looks fine. Just dark. Also changing this Sunday. Coolant might be flushed and repoured if I think its a good idea. Have an appointment with Ford on March 14th. But fear the car wouldn't make it that far unattended.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:
Took it to CarMax. Basically told me to fuck off, more politely. And said my car shows no leaks. Topped it off and sent me on my way. Car was fine for a few days. Chilling at "High" throughout. So I stopped checking. About 5 days later, I remembered, and popped my hood. It has since dropped to just over "MIN". And not a single drop has ever been spotted. Car is in 2 places at all times. Work or home. So I'm not leaning towards failing head gasket. I will do a pressure test this Sunday. But can't really do much more with my limitations and tool limitations. I can go ahead and buy a camera to inspect the heads? Oil looks fine. Just dark. Also changing this Sunday. Coolant might be flushed and repoured if I think its a good idea. Have an appointment with Ford on March 14th. But fear the car wouldn't make it that far unattended.
Also, Car starts fine. Car runs great. Smoke is about average compared to other traffic and whether conditions. (Vancouver, WA) No signs of overheating in any category. (Oil temp, Cylinder temp, Coolant temp). Really makes no sense other than being a head gasket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts