Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a used MAPerformance street IC. I was ready to pull the trigger but I’m being told that the MAPerformance IC is “junk” and to purchase a CV fab part instead. I’ll also be installing it with a COBB canned tune.
I haven’t decided on an intake yet but the seller also has the MAPerformance CAI for sale.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I had a MAPerformance "street" IC. It is far from "junk". In fact, it is probably THE BEST "stock location" aftermarket IC for our car (only to be rivaled by maybe Cobb & Injen). If you don't want to dig out your shutters from the nose of your car in order to add a "racing" style IC (larger core), then the MAP is an excellent choice. I had it on my car for over 2 years, and just recently upgraded to a "racing style" IC from CPE. Yes, the CPE provides a much more robust charge due to the larger core size, but again ... it depends on what you want. Some people don't want to remove the grill shutters, and some people don't want the fraction of a second extra lagto get to peak boost from the larger core, so they opt for the "stock location" IC ... some people want that "thick charge", so they get the "racing IC". It's strictly up to you. Long story short, the MAP is far from "junk". Junk is the stock IC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a MAPerformance "street" IC. It is far from "junk". In fact, it is probably THE BEST "stock location" aftermarket IC for our car (only to be rivaled by maybe Cobb & Injen). If you don't want to dig out your shutters from the nose of your car in order to add a "racing" style IC (larger core), then the MAP is an excellent choice. I had it on my car for over 2 years, and just recently upgraded to a "racing style" IC from CPE. Yes, the CPE provides a much more robust charge due to the larger core size, but again ... it depends on what you want. Some people don't want to remove the grill shutters, and some people don't want the fraction of a second extra lagto get to peak boost from the larger core, so they opt for the "stock location" IC ... some people want that "thick charge", so they get the "racing IC". It's strictly up to you. Long story short, the MAP is far from "junk". Junk is the stock IC.
Thank you for your reply. I actually don't have the shutters any more regardless, so I wouldn't mind having a larger racing intercooler. But for the price being offered for the MAPerformance used ($150) I think I'm going to jump on it.
What's your opinion on the MAPerforance CAI? I see more mixed opinions on that part vs stock airbox.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
$150 is a steal, as long as its in still good condition. Make sure there are no dents or dings, in particular around the intake tubes or that the fins aren't all bent back in the front. I sold mine for twice that. They go for FAR MORE brand new online, as I'm sure you are aware.

The CAI discussion is a major can of worms. To answer your question specifically, the two things I do like about the MAP CAI, is their use of stainless steel over aluminum, and the fact that the intake seems to "tuck into the intake well" right in front of the duct. They've done some research in terms of engine heat, and came up with this design. That being said, the engine heat, and the resulting increase in IAT is a major issue in these cars. I had the open element GT350 CAI and fought increasing IAT's nonstop, until I finally got a "closed" element CAI in the Airraid. Since then, IAT's have been much better. The consensus on these forums is generally to keep the stock intake with a high flow filter, or making sure that your CAI is 'closed element' if you do decide to upgrade. But many, many, many people run an open element CAI with no problems. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$150 is a steal, as long as its in still good condition. Make sure there are no dents or dings, in particular around the intake tubes or that the fins aren't all bent back in the front. I sold mine for twice that. They go for FAR MORE brand new online, as I'm sure you are aware.

The CAI discussion is a major can of worms. To answer your question specifically, the two things I do like about the MAP CAI, is their use of stainless steel over aluminum, and the fact that the intake seems to "tuck into the intake well" right in front of the duct. They've done some research in terms of engine heat, and came up with this design. That being said, the engine heat, and the resulting increase in IAT is a major issue in these cars. I had the open element GT350 CAI and fought increasing IAT's nonstop, until I finally got a "closed" element CAI in the Airraid. Since then, IAT's have been much better. The consensus on these forums is generally to keep the stock intake with a high flow filter, or making sure that your CAI is 'closed element' if you do decide to upgrade. But many, many, many people run an open element CAI with no problems. Just some food for thought.
Hmmm well I live in FL so it gets pretty hot. I was planning to use the Cobb stage 2 tune, which calls for their CAI that has a similar design, but has a metal box around the filter area. I currently have the drop in filter. So I'm still not sure if I should purchase this intake along with the IC...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
"Closed element" means completely sealed. Cobb is same as MAP. I live in Miami, and without heat extractors on my hood, a 20 minute drive in traffic makes for some extreme underhood temps.

Airraid makes one. Injen makes one too, along with I think Corsa and a few others.

I would recommend to save your money and keep the high flow filter. If you really wanna improve performance, I'd swap out the wastegate instead. You can swap it out with the 7psi Turbosmart, and still use the Cobb Stage 2 tune.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Closed element" means completely sealed. Cobb is same as MAP. I live in Miami, and without heat extractors on my hood, a 20 minute drive in traffic makes for some extreme underhood temps.

Airraid makes one. Injen makes one too, along with I think Corsa and a few others.

I would recommend to save your money and keep the high flow filter. If you really wanna improve performance, I'd swap out the wastegate instead. You can swap it out with the 7psi Turbosmart, and still use the Cobb Stage 2 tune.
Interesting. I wasn't aware the wastegate actuator made that much of a drastic difference. I always thought a intake and DP would be higher up on the list of performance go fast parts.
You recommend the 7 PSI spring for the Stage 2 tune? Might get an Adam tune in the future.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Interesting. I wasn't aware the wastegate actuator made that much of a drastic difference. I always thought a intake and DP would be higher up on the list of performance go fast parts.
You recommend the 7 PSI spring for the Stage 2 tune? Might get an Adam tune in the future.
The better springs and the reduction of the preload on the aftermarket wastegates squeeze a little extra oomph out of the turbo. If you do a custom tune with Adam, I'm sure he'd recommend his 'customized' Tune+ Turbosmart wastegate (which I believe is set at 10psi if memory serves me correct). 7psi is for stock tunes and canned tunes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an opportunity to purchase a used MAPerformance street IC. I was ready to pull the trigger but I’m being told that the MAPerformance IC is “junk” and to purchase a CV fab part instead. I’ll also be installing it with a COBB canned tune.
I haven’t decided on an intake yet but the seller also has the MAPerformance CAI for sale.
hey there I've had a MAP intercooler for 3 years now and its been flawless in the install and operation I would suggest you do more research and purchase what will go with all your current mods and maybe future ones... vp

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happy with the IC. He basically gave me the intake for free so I just went ahead and installed it. As expected temps climb up pretty high at idle (from heat soak), but very quickly drop to ambient once I get moving. Temps are about 90 degrees here in Clearwater, FL and I've seen IAT reach as high as 150 if I idle for a while.
I think it is an improvement over stock but I am interested in hearing opinions. I was thinking about maybe trying to wrap it in some kind of heat shield, but might be a waste of time. What's interesting is that Cobb claims that a CAI is needed for their Stage 2 canned tune that I'm running.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Temps are about 90 degrees here in Clearwater, FL and I've seen IAT reach as high as 150 if I idle for a while.
I think it is an improvement over stock but I am interested in hearing opinions.
Such is life here in Florida. I've been seeing this ever since I owned the car. Stock airbox is better because its SEALED. When you have a fastener style seal, you get a good suction from the nose. Otherwise, you suck in a lot of engine bay heat with many of the open element CAI's on the market.

To remedy this problem for myself, I have a closed airaid intake, along with the velossa tech snorkel adapter. I see the best IAT drops on forward motion that I've ever seen on tihs car, but there are still simply times that the IAT's can creep up to 20 or 25 over ambient if I start to get bogged down in traffic.

Further to that, its funny, because after I put in my larger core CPE IC, I actually see my IAT2 drop under IAT quite often after I get on the gas from a stop. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Such is life here in Florida. I've been seeing this ever since I owned the car. Stock airbox is better because its SEALED. When you have a fastener style seal, you get a good suction from the nose. Otherwise, you suck in a lot of engine bay heat with many of the open element CAI's on the market.

To remedy this problem for myself, I have a closed airaid intake, along with the velociraptor snorkel adapter. I see the best IAT drops on forward motion that I've ever seen on tihs car, but there are still simply times that the IAT's can creep up to 20 or 25 over ambient if I start to get bogged down in traffic.

Further to that, its funny, because after I put in my larger core CPE IC, I actually see my IAT2 drop under IAT quite often after I get on the gas from a stop. 🤷‍♂️
Interesting. The ambient temp on my car said it was 100 degrees outside earlier. I left my car on when I ran into the store to get some food, came back and it was almost 150 F. Whats' the highest you've seen?

I'll probably stick with this IC. Still trying to troubleshoot the 2 codes I've been getting since getting the tune...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts