Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m new to this forum and I looked but I can’t seem to find an answer for this question, if it’s already been asked and I’m sure it has then I’m sorry fellas!

So I bought a 2017 Ecoboost brand new and I want to throw some bolt on mods in it but I’m not sure what a safe boost is on stock internals and stock turbo.

Mods I’m throwing in are:

Borla ATAK exhaust with 3 inch down pipe

Roush CAI

Misimoto intercooler kit

COBB access port V3

Turbosmart compact shortie fuel port BOV

My military buddies who know a little more than I do said I’ll be right around 25lbs of boost. Is this safe?

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Should be fine. Who's doing the tuning?

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
The OTS tunes from Cobb are pretty conservative. They're better than stock, but won't give the most power possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
I'm pro tuned and daily drive mine. By the data logs I get fewer misfires now than when it was on the COBB tunes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've heard many times that 25 pounds is the max without injuring internal parts. I've also heard that a custom tune is 10x better than any Cobb or (insert another brand here) tune or programmer.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'm pro tuned and daily drive mine. By the data logs I get fewer misfires now than when it was on the COBB tunes.
Are you basically using a 'conservative' pro tune for daily driving, and a racing pro tune for the track? Swap back between those two as you enter/exit the track predominantly? Or do you have more that you like to switch to?

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Are you basically using a 'conservative' pro tune for daily driving, and a racing pro tune for the track? Swap back between those two as you enter/exit the track predominantly? Or do you have more that you like to switch to?
No. My tune set is "full boost", "bad fuel", and "valet". I don't switch tunes often.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This thread is hilarious. You literally sound like me when i bought the car. I first got all those same bolt ons (+ a CAI) and ran the cobb stage 3 for a while, and the power is there dont get me wrong, but at some point you're going to want more and then you can get a custom pro tune. I am also pro tuned and use mine as a daily and I have a transmission pro tune as well all from Adam @ Tune+. The car is still a good daily in regular or sport mode and is very fun to drive!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've been searching our forum for information on how far we can push the boost on the stock long block ecoboost motor, without damaging the OEM head bolts and head gasket and/or other components. I've read 25 lb., but the author did not provide the source of the published specifications.
Does anyone know the max boost??

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
177 Posts
I've been searching our forum for information on how far we can push the boost on the stock long block ecoboost motor, without damaging the OEM head bolts and head gasket and/or other components. I've read 25 lb., but the author did not provide the source of the published specifications.
Does anyone know the max boost??
I was emailing back and forth with tune+ Adam and he told me they keep it at 24psi max. At least on 91 octane I believe.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was emailing back and forth with tune+ Adam and he told me they keep it at 24psi max. At least on 91 octane I believe.

I've also heard that some tuners limit the boost to 24 lbs. I've been reviewing my 1/4 mile logs and have hit as high as 24.99 lbs. I pulled my plugs and checked for coolant, etc. But I haven't checked the torque on my head bolts or anything else yet.

·
Registered
2020 Magnetic HPP EcoBoost
177 Posts
I've also heard that some tuners limit the boost to 24 lbs. I've been reviewing my 1/4 mile logs and have hit as high as 24.99 lbs. I pulled my plugs and checked for coolant, etc. But I haven't checked the torque on my head bolts or anything else yet. B
Is that on 93 or E30? We only have 91 in AZ, the most I've seen is 23.2 and I have the FP turbo. I think the key is were the boost will actually hold through a WOT run. I'll spike at around 23 but will hold 20 at WOT.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I run mixed E15 fuel on a OTS 93 tune with the stock base turbo. I've been planning on upgrading the head gasket and head bolts during the off season, but may have to tone it down at bit to survive the season...?

*Was researching gaskets and head bolts/studs and came across this post... Interesting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts