Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MBRP Street Exhaust Review

This will be a pretty detailed review, so those of you who don’t want to read, I think this is one wonderful exhaust. It will transform your sound and make you open your windows in the winter.
After my Cobb Accessport I would say one of my favorite upgrades. Actually, they are a marriage made in heaven.

Purchase Process
Well I couldn’t resist the Black Friday pricing for the MBRP exhaust for the ecoboost. Their msrp of $827 is a deal and they normally sell in the mid $600-700s for the stainless steel editions. I got mine for a little over $550.00. I decided to purchase the stainless steel the XP versino because I am in the Northeast and the salt on winter roads would eventually wreak havoc on others. It's also important to note that the XP stainless steel is 409 which is not as expensive as the 304. There is more iron content on the 409 and as such will show some rust. It's tough, but won’t be as pretty as 304. I know they offer the more expensive option for the GT. I have a 2018 PP and I was tempted to get the black tips. I have black wheels which grew on me and I also have black lugnuts and love the way they look on the car too. I just could resist the polished stainless steel tips. I guess we older cats just can’t resist that polished chrome look. I decided to buy mine through CJ Pony Parts since I have really watched too many of their videos and have learned a lot. Well, It took a good while to receive the exhaust. It ships directly from the manufacturer and CJ listed it as shipped with no tracking. MBRP is based in Ontario Canada, and that is not ridiculously far for Long Island. ‘After a week of nothing I contact CJ and they finally found out that the exhaust would not ship until the week of Christmas. I guess I was not the only person ordering these and I guess they were out of stock and I had to wait for the next production run. My only issue was I wished CJ did not mark on my account as having the product shipped and only informing me after I went inquiring for an update on my exhaust. Normally I have no issues ordering parts from CJ.

The Install
Because it came so late and it was the holidays I would have to wait till after Christmas to get some free time to install this. The install is somewhat simple. However, if this is the first time doing an exhaust you will make mistakes or second guess yourself. I saw the video from CJ so many times and it seemed to be the most practical. I was about 30 minutes in and only needed to add the 2 mufflers and tips. I did the left side, no problem, put the right side, problem. I kept on hitting the chassis. So I thought maybe I mixed them up and that began a 1.5 hour ordeal. By the way, I was right the first time.

The sound.
I will say that when I turned it on I was impressed, but not blown away. A part of me was thinking, maybe I should have bought the Race version. What was very evident is that this was a completely new sound. It now gave the car some depth and character. Our sound went from PeeWee Herman to Darth Vader. Now mind you, I kind of like that our stock ecoboost has this quality where it was very quiet at cruising speeds, however the issue was when you open up the throttle. There really was nothing there. Now I have this rumble. So let’s go over that sound in a little more detail. Cold starts are now glorious. I now pull out of my garage and crack open the window to let a little more sound in my cabin. Once your car is warmed that sound turns into a low rumble. It's nice because when you are ever outside the car and it is on, you know there is something there. When I stop at a light, I feel that low rumble, something you didn’t have before. Now this rumble is subtle, but ever present. I enjoy stopping at traffic lights a heck of a lot more now. It communicates what’s going on with your engine. Now I distinctly know when my engine is warm and the two stages before. I don’t need to look at my oil temperature anymore as I can hear when it is ready to open up.

Now when you open up the throttle you will get some sound but by all means it will not be the voice of God, but is it a lot more fun? Hell Yes! Now this is where I still have my “Race'' conflict. There is a part of me that would really want the exhaust to get a little crazier but, I understand we have a few limitations, we don’t have a V8 so you can only make a 4 cylinder sound so good. Does it sound like a V8 absolutely not, but now it sounds like a Mustang. It just that at times you need your mustang to make a little noise. Before, when I would be driving a little bit harder and I opened the window, all I got was wind. Now I hear something talking to me. This is a pleasure. Of course, part of my reason for going to the “street” was I did not want to alarm my wife. She has no love for thunderous V8s and even complained about my cold starts on the stock eco saying my car is too loud. I tried explaining that this was a common trait in all cars, but because I am driving a Mustang she perceives it a heck of a lot louder. We finally went out for dinner and she said nothing the whole ride to and back. So it passed the “wifey-meter” test. I didn’t really like the food, but went to a restaurant with a valet and the valets were really loving the car. When they brought my car after dinner, I could hear my Mustang for the first time. It was like your baby’s first steps (well at least something close) So interestingly, when driving about to and fro and not really pushing the car it's easy to not really notice it's there unless you focus on it. Trust me it is there. So the plus is that it does not become an overbearing exhaust and you can somewhat control that. You will find situations where you have to hit that throttle and now your speed is rewarded with a complementary sound. If you want to hear a little more, open the windows a bit or a lot and just soak it in.

Drone
Now I will tell you I am a musician so I will be a little more sensitive to sound. There is a drone in this car. You will hear it, but it is subtle. If you concentrate you will hear it. I play my radio usually at level 8 before the MBRP and still do. So unless I am looking for a drone I don’t really notice it. If I focus, it is there. I don’t mind the drone, it just let’s me know that my car is alive. If it really became an issue there are a few ways to solve it. As I see it the muffler takes care of the exhaust sound and the resonator addresses the in cabin sound. As this catback eliminates the resonator a little bit of drone is expected. I will repeat, the sound is there but you have to go looking for it especially with the radio. Kill the radio and from 2000 rpm to about 2700 rpm it will be present.

Final Thoughts.
Overall I am very happy with this exhaust. The chrome exhaust tips look amazing! I now laugh when I see the OEM tips. The stock tips simply look cute now. Black would have been cool but these polished stainless steel tips are slap yourself silly looking good! I really enjoy the sound. At times I will open the window and say, are you crazy, do you really need the Race? Also as you drive a little more the exhaust does begin to break in and will open up more than the first few days. This is plenty of sound.

Bonus Mileage

Now this part I find the most interesting. I have a performance pack and I was a little upset to find out that the mileage was 3-4 mpg less than the standard ecoboost because of the torsen differential. Of course driving the car cures you, but part of the fun of driving a turbo 4 is the power and the gas mileage. The first week I drove it was just around town as I was off for the holidays so I didn’t notice anything. I went to work for my 20 mile commute which takes 45 minutes and guess what? My mileage is 3-4 mpg better. I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this, but now I am even happier than ever. All I’ve done is installed a K&N air filter, but I did that about 2 months ago and got no difference in gas mileage. So if any of the real good gear heads wants to chime in and explain this to me I am all ears. I would recommend anyone that plans on doing upgrades that you should keep this on your short list.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bonus fuel mileage, simple explanation is, by replacing the mufflers with a less restrictive set you’ve reduced back pressure, allowing the motor to use fuel more efficiently.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The exhaust has definitely broken in and it just gives such a pleasing purr. If you are on the fence, hop on over to this side. It's a great mod. Again it's not going to shake the house,but it will give you a smile. There is still a part of me that would want the race but sometimes in life we need to compromise.

Keep safe everyone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I am going to repeat what I said before. It's almost a year and I love this exhaust. It gives the car character and with time it just keeps improving. The sound has really opened up and its not obnoxious (not that anything is wrong with that). I just wished it opened up after 3000 rpm it seems to really open up when you have a lead foot or are up in the 5000 rpm area and accelerating. When you are just cruising its just pretty close to stock but with this all new presence. Remember it does give you a much lower tone at idle that I just love to hear when I hop out of the car to get the mail or whatever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts