Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2018 ecoboost with about 48k miles from my local dealership. When I put the car into sport mode or sport+ and push the car a bit, I notice a minor burning smell. I can smell it most near the front wheels and a little coming from the vents on the hood. I don't notice it after cruising in drive mode. Thinking about taking it into the service department to get it examined. Thoughts?

·
Registered
362 Posts
You may be describing what the brakes smell like when they've been hot. If that's it, it's normal. The calipers will glow red if you are on and off them hard like you might be when making a sported run in the twisties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Going to take it in on Friday. It could be the brakes, a fluid leak, or something else. I'm not familiar enough with the smell of burning oil vs burning rubber on the brakes to differentiate tbh. I could smell it coming from not only the wheel well but also the two vents of the hood which made me think it could be something other than the brakes.

·
Registered
743 Posts
And since you bought it used, they may have addressed some maintenance concerns before making it available for sale after performing their service/safety checks. For instance, if the brakes were worn to nothing, they might have replaced the pads and/or rotors. If they didn't do the break-in for them to properly bed them and burn off any protective layer off the rotors, then that can definitely present as a burning smell after spirited driving/braking for a bit. Do you have any oil or other fluids presenting as drips/stains on your driveway or garage floor? If any of that is dripping onto your exhaust (usually the downpipe) it will cause a burning smell, though burning oil is pretty distinct. Oil leaks on the ECO engines typically are from the lack of a proper seal at the timing cover (RTV) or from the turbo or related oil lines. A coolant leak can also give a burning smell that has a slightly sweet accent to it. Usually, this can be discovered by staying on top of checking coolant levels and again checking for drips/puddles underneath. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts