Ford Mustang Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of deliberation, I decided to add a catch can to my EB. Based on research and review of lots of helpful information on this Forum, I decided to go with the Mishimoto PCV side Catch Can and installed it today.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because there have apparently been some changes/improvements to this unit and I wanted to make others who might be considering this catch can aware of it and hopefully save them some confusion. I actually received mine a couple of weeks ago and opened it to be sure all the components were there, but didn't take everything out of the packaging. Last night I did though, as I was going to mount the can and then do the hoses today. As others have noted, there are no printed instructions and the Mishimoto installation video is, well........rather abbreviated. There are numerous other YouTube installation videos, which are more detailed, and I have watched several of them. All the ones I have seen are several years old though. When I unpacked everything, I discovered that the inlet and outlet fittings that go into the can were not the 90 degree elbows that are supposed to be installed pointing down per the videos. What I received were two straight fittings. Also, the inlet and outlet hoses I received looked nothing like the ones in the videos - both being longer, and with more angles and bends. Initially, I thought I had received incorrect fittings and hoses, but after a fair amount of time of trying figure out how they could work, determined that the design has been changed and the mounting orientation of the catch can has to be different than anything I have seen previously.

For proper installation, the can has to be oriented so that the outlet fitting points straight back toward the driver, i.e., parallel to the engine block. The new outlet hose has a nice 90 degree downward bend from the straight outlet fitting and routes well to the connection on the intake manifold at the front of the engine. The inlet fitting is positioned about 60 degrees counterclockwise from the outlet fitting (when viewed from the top), such that it roughly points toward the passenger seat. The new style connection hose from the PCV fitting to the catch can inlet also routes pretty neatly with a 60 degree bend where it attaches to the catch can straight inlet fitting. I hope this makes some sense to read - apologies that I didn't think to take any photos.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that some of the Mishimoto catch can components have changed and one might think they received the wrong ones, based on the older installation videos and photos. I would note that the current photos of the kit on Mishimoto's website do actually show the new straight fittings and the longer redesigned hoses. Didn't notice that when I ordered. There is nothing to show or indicate the change in how the catch can must be oriented, however. Having said that, I do think the new components are improved for better fit, and the new straight fittings now seat firmly into the catch can body and have O-ring seals. Overall, the design and construction seems to be top quality. They really should include some basic installation instructions tho.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2022 HPP / HP 6-spd
29 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Key points are that the plastic fittings that screw into the can are straight now versus 90° and that the fittings roughly face the engine/driver’s seat.

Without that second point you might think the bracket was drilled wrong, as the instructions say “The bracket should be installed so that the flange with the large bolt hole is aligned with the middle of the can, and the two ports are on the opposite side of the can.”

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well....I think the problem is that your mounting bracket is installed upside down vs its intended orientation and the way mine is installed. The top of my catch can is approximately level with the top of my engine cover. IIRC, those little tabs on either side of the bracket keep it from moving/rotating when installed the way mine is.

Having said that, I don't have a shock tower brace and looks like yours doesn't allow enough space to invert your CC mounting bracket. Looks pretty tight to unscrew and empty the catch can too.....

Can you remove the mounting bracket and bend it into more of a "Z" shape to get some clearance between the hose and engine cover? Otherwise, perhaps rework or fab a new mounting bracket that is horizontal to the mounting points. Good luck!

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another idea: Could you get a 45 degree fitting to replace the straight one for the hose that is creating the issue?

Reactions: Coyote Chaser

·
Registered
2022 HPP / HP 6-spd
29 Posts
I paid a guy to install this because I was told it was extremely tough to get to the connection on the block. I wasn’t interested in jacking up the car and climbing under.

In any case, the guy said the bracket couldn’t go the other way because of the strut tower brace. Turns out he was mistaken. It fits and the clearance issue is gone.

Thankfully he did the expensive part correctly!
Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2022 HPP / HP 6-spd
29 Posts
I just checked the connection at the intake. Does this look like it’s on all the way? In it’s current state, I can’t push it in any deeper and I can’t pull it out. Feels locked in place but looks like it’s not pushed in all the way.
Rim Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad this worked out for you! Access to unscrew and empty should be much better now too. For the $, I think it is a good quality product.

As for the hose, hard to tell from photo but if it doesn't pull off and doesn't push in further, it is probably OK. Is it collecting oil?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are welcome! I just happened to see your comment and glad I did :). I'd give it 1 or 2 thousand miles and then check it. I don't run my car very hard but seem to get an ounce or so of dirty oily liquid in that distance. I know there are mixed opinions on catch cans, but I'd rather not have that crap going into my engine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts